Q5 40 TDi - Burning Oil

newbieboyy

Reaction score
My Q5 190Bhp is approaching 10,000 miles since I collected it Jan.
My oil seems to be showing as dropping down a bit already and I was wondering if this was normal?

My 2.0 Diesel mapped A3 didn’t need the oil touching between services and was driven pretty hard and did some miles, so I’m surprised the Q5 seems to be dropping oil, there are no leaks/marks to show leakage either.

Oil consumption seems more prevalent these days than it did 10-15 years ago. As part of modern engine designs to make them more fuel efficient they are designed with low pressure rings to reduce friction. Along with oil that is almost like water , again to improve economy and power oil consumption is greater. If you look at the allowable oil consumption in the handbook it's something like 1 litre in 500 miles. So you are well above this.

In my experience with Audi, numerous vehicles stretching back around 25 years - most consume oil as the engine beds in to around the 20,000 mile point. At around the 20,000 mile point you will get in the car one morning as discover a different personality, the car will suddenly decide you are worthy of decent performance...I've concluded that Audi have tweaked the ECU software to keep the engine safe as it beds in.

In my experience At around the 20,000 mile point you will get in the car one morning as discover a different personality, the car will suddenly decide you are worthy of decent performance...I've concluded that Audi have tweaked the ECU software to keep the engine safe as it beds in.

Strange, I was saying this to my OH only a couple of days ago. As I approach 10k I have noticed the fuel economy starting to go up and it being a bit more lively.
I shall get a little oil and keep an eye on it, I’m doing 90 miles a day at the moment so it’s not to bad!