1.5 TFSI COD lurching when cold

P

Pablosammy

Hi all,

I've spent a few months in my new A3 1.5 TFSI (manual), and I'm having trouble driving it smoothly at low speeds particularly when cold.

The engine seems to bog down quite easily, and any attempt to compensate ends up with me lurching and kangarooing. I put it down to me getting used to the clutch, but it's been a few months now and I still can't get it right. I'm not stranger to manual cars - I've had everything from 1.0 ecoboxes to a 5.0 V8, and I've never had any issues with clutch control until now. I've noticed it can even carry on kangarooing slightly when the clutch is fully engaged without any throttle input.

The issues goes away somewhat when the car is warm, but it's still a temperamental little thing. It's a bit embarrassing when I have passengers who think I can't drive!

Incidentally, my Mrs has a 2016 1.4 TSi Beetle and I can drive that as smooth as butter.

Is this a known issue, a 'feature' of the 1.5 TFSI, or possibly a fault with my car?

I've phoned and booked it in, but I'm expecting a day in a courtesy car and a "...we can't find anything wrong..." at the end of it. I might print out some of the threads above as ammo, it's not a particularly enjoyable drive as it stands. Thanks guys.

Reactions: cuke2u
My manual 1.4 tfsi does the same or similar thing where the car violently shakes when setting off in first gear. Real bad judder and makes it seem like I can't drive too!:whistle2: Only happens if the car is cold or has been in start stop traffic for a while. It's off to a garage next Monday and hopefully a new clutch can fix it as it could be a problem with the clutch release bearing or dual mass flywheel. But it's a very common problem and I regret not getting the auto now

My manual 1.4 tfsi does the same or similar thing where the car violently shakes when setting off in first gear. Real bad judder and makes it seem like I can't drive too!:whistle2: Only happens if the car is cold or has been in start stop traffic for a while. It's off to a garage next Monday and hopefully a new clutch can fix it as it could be a problem with the clutch release bearing or dual mass flywheel. But it's a very common problem and I regret not getting the auto now
I wouldn't call it a judder or a DMF type fault - definitely not a violent shake like yours! That sounds like a different fault in all honesty.

This seems more like an issue with fuel delivery or something similar.

It is commonly called “kangaroo” or “Roo”
It is highly documented ( try VW TRoc forum)
It is all VAG vehicles and been going on for over a year . A number of vehicles have been rejected and Audi UK will be well aware . Do not take any rubbish from the dealer .
There have been around three “software updates” and none have yet been reported as fully working .
There is suspicion it is hardware issue as the engine design did not take into account new emissions rules.
VAG withdrew the 1.5 engine for a couple of months in the spring . I suspect they have made a physical update .
The engine is based on the Miller Cycle concept ( vag call it Budack cycle). The Miller cycle was never designed to operate with a Turbo , and seems Vag have tried to adapt it using extra boost at low revs which seems to not work when cold .
Google and am sure you will find out a lot more
In summary do not take any rubbish from dealers they know all about it .

Reactions: dantdi, JohnM100, dp_motley and 2 others
Unfortunately yours is a different, and possibly mechanical, issue to that of the 1.5...

Reactions: Joxh
Just to add I have the 1.5 TFSI and don’t suffer the problem. It’s strange it doesn’t seem to affect them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pablosammy
Just to add I have the 1.5 TFSI and don’t suffer the problem. It’s strange it doesn’t seem to affect them all.

Out of interest, is it a manual or auto?

Out of interest, is it a manual or auto?

Manual. Interestingly the first part of my journey in a morning is always a long way down hill so I’m not really on the clutch much while the engine warms up. I do obviously have other journeys that aren’t like that which I’ve never noticed it on either but my car will certainly have less chances to do it.

I got a A3 1.5tfsi for a courtesy car and the mrs was like, Have you fogotten how to drive ? I couldnt get it to drive off smooth at all. Kangeroo bobbed down the road. Couldnt wait to get back in my 1.4

Same here, another manual owner. It has got better with time in terms of my reacting to it but it’s never ever a smooth ride at low speeds or through the gears.