****** pot hole - Damaged tyre

royalsteve68

Reaction score
Driving down Chertsey Road near Youngstoat Lane, Surrey and found possibly the biggest pot hole ever on a main road, just shocking - about 2 times football in size and maybe a football sized dept. Saw it late and road fairly narrow and car coming other way didn't want to swerve and risking crashing car.

Damaged tyre, wheel surface looks fine so hoping the tyre has taken the impact. Will get suspension and wheel checked out though, especially when they take the tyre off

I have vid footage but file too large

Will see if I can claim off Surrey council - annoying this is, my car and tyres have done 11000 miles and they'll try and pay peanuts, plus unlikely to get anything for the other tyre ill have to replace - as you should replace both tyres on the same axle

Didn't realise the work "bl**dy" was not allowed, lol

Attachments

• 16 06 19 1416 cobham chertsey road surrey.JPG
    16 06 19 1416 cobham chertsey road surrey.JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
Have a go at the council. Seems you have enough evidence?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

It’s a pain in the ****! I’ve got my wheels away being refurbed and one being straightened after pothole damage.
Our council wouldn’t pay out on mine!
Said that cause there’s no yellow paint markings around the hole that it means it was ok on their last inspection.
Good luck you’ll probably need it.

Just had the council agree to cover damage, new wheel. Took 6months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@royalsteve68 sorry to hear this about your tyre. If you upload your video to YouTube then add your link on here. Hopefully it’s just the tyre that needs replacing and there is no.damage to the wheel.

It always helps to get a FOI request into the council as to the frequency of inspections, when the last one was done and if the pothole had been previously reported. Report it yourself ASAP and get measurements (easier said than done in some situations) for evidence.

Good luck with it - my local council did negotiate it down slightly for the wear that was already on the tyre but they were reasonable about it and only dropped £20.

Agree with Gnasher.
I hit a pothole a few years back, burst tyre and dented the alloy.
Initial claim (with photos) was rejected straight away by the council. I then found potholes.co.uk and the advice from there was to reply asking for a FOI to say how often the road was inspected in the last year, what method to check it (walking, driving) and what had been found/reported.
As soon as that went in they immediately replied to say they would pay out for the tyre and alloy.
Good luck.
Steve.

Reactions: Callump01 and Bonstio
It’s Surrey council. Apparently council with the worst roads in the UK. Have to agree state of roads there is shocking compared to Berkshire

Getting it checked by Audi tomorrow, maybe just go straight to Costco and get both tyre replaced on front axle. Not sure if council will pay for both tyres though which is ****** Annoying and wrong imo.

Not sure whether to stick with Pirelli or go to Michelin PS4. Some have said PS4 don’t seem right on the rs3 saloon. Thoughts?

Getting it checked by Audi tomorrow, maybe just go straight to Costco and get both tyre replaced on front axle. Not sure if council will pay for both tyres though which is ****** Annoying and wrong imo.

Not sure whether to stick with Pirelli or go to Michelin PS4. Some have said PS4 don’t seem right on the rs3 saloon. Thoughts?

I don’t see how they could reject paying fortune damaged wheel, that hole is huge, I wouldn’t expect them to pay for matching though, all kinds of insurance exclude matching items and the councils will more than likely follow that principle.

I don’t see how they could reject paying fortune damaged wheel, that hole is huge, I wouldn’t expect them to pay for matching though, all kinds of insurance exclude matching items and the councils will more than likely follow that principle.
agreed, they may even only pay part amount for the tyre based on usage which i find annoying as it means i lose out due to their incompetence - i appreciate they have a challenge filling all pot holes but one this size is just inexcusable - they could cone it temporarily

Reactions: CHEZ and TYb
So, took my car to Audi and they checked the wheel and suspension, all ok, just tyre damaged and wheel needed a 20g weight. Sent claim to Surrey council. Don’t like their website which basically states we won’t pay....so arrogant....so ignored that.

Reactions: TYb
So, took my car to Audi and they checked the wheel and suspension, all ok, just tyre damaged and wheel needed a 20g weight. Sent claim to Surrey council. Don’t like their website which basically states we won’t pay....so arrogant....so ignored that.

How can they even state that, they surely have a duty to provide services that are fit for purpose. You are luckily that the wheel isn’t buckled. Good luck with the claim

I think the majority of councils/highways depts. have that sort of disclaimer. I know Lincolnshire does but they still paid out to me. Just do the FOI request etc. and hopefully it's not too much of a fight for you. Do a good bit of research online and there's loads of good advice out there which is what I did.

I believe if you have a claim rejected and re apply for payment they will most likely pay out , Although I do not know if that is right .

Usual arrogant council response so far. What is wrong with people in councils these days. I had a similar level of arrogance when a badly damaged poorly maintained street hump at community centre which ripped off one if the front plastic jack points. Only £16 but the a hole chairman wouldn’t pay out and was very patronising, until I put the tool in his place. No one likes him except his fellow a hole public sector cronies.

Anyway it seems Surrey council think they will only pay out if it’s deemed they haven’t followed their scheduling process. Pathetic and lazy. Maybe I should instruct all mobile operators I work with to prevent these arrogant public sector idiots from making using mobile services for a month, bet they’ll get annoyed.

Last edited:
Well surrey council came back and said they wont pay as they've met their obligations. Pathetic.

Basically they've met their obligations. They checked end april and no pothole was there. It was first reported on 11th june.

Their response.

The liability for the damage to vehicles caused by defects on the highway is governed by the Highways Act 1980. In addition to the duty which is placed on Highway Authorities to maintain the highway, the Highways Act also has a provision under section 58 which states that where a defect arises, provided that there is a proper highway inspection and maintenance regime in operation for the road in question, the Council will not be considered negligent or in breach of its statutory duty. Therefore unless it can be shown that the Council was negligent or in breach of its statutory duties, it will not be liable to pay any damages for the costs of repairing a vehicle.
Please be advised that the Chertsey Road is subject to a monthly driven safety inspection regime in accordance with its Highway Safety Inspections Policy. These inspections are always undertaken by an experienced highways inspector. The previous inspection prior to the date of your incident was undertaken on 23rd May 2019. During this inspection, no defects were found at the location where your incident occurred, or along Chertsey Road generally.
The first notification we received about this specific defect was on 11th June 2019. As stipulated in our maintenance policy, safety defects reported by the public will be reviewed within 5 working days and then actioned where necessary in accordance with Surrey County Council’s defect severity matrix timescales. Upon inspection of this particular defect on 17th June 2019, it was assigned a repair to be completed within 5 working days of the inspection. Therefore this time period had not expired at the time of your accident. This defect was then duly repaired on 20th June 2019.
With the above in mind, I regret that I cannot make an of offer compensation in this matter as you have requested. Whilst I sympathise with the inconvenience that the damage to the vehicle has caused you, it is the Council’s position that it has undertaken all action reasonably necessary to fulfil its statutory obligations and that the damage caused to the vehicle was not as a result of any negligence of the Council. Liability for this claim is therefore denied, and the Council seeks to rely upon the statutory defence afforded to it under section 58 of the Highways Act 1980.

I do appreciate that this is not the response that you would like; however, I do hope that you will understand that the Council cannot meet claims made in these circumstances.

If you would like to see a copy of the documents relating to the street history, you are entitled to ask and these will be sent to you.

My response.
So it's my fault then. I always find people in public organisations are of a certain sort, arrogant, inconsiderate, never wrong and always on their terms.

From the outset they had no intention to pay. Maybe I should use the same theme when paying my taxes etc.

Well surrey council came back and said they wont pay as they've met their obligations. Pathetic.

Basically they've met their obligations. They checked end april and no pothole was there. It was first reported on 11th june.

Their response.

The liability for the damage to vehicles caused by defects on the highway is governed by the Highways Act 1980. In addition to the duty which is placed on Highway Authorities to maintain the highway, the Highways Act also has a provision under section 58 which states that where a defect arises, provided that there is a proper highway inspection and maintenance regime in operation for the road in question, the Council will not be considered negligent or in breach of its statutory duty. Therefore unless it can be shown that the Council was negligent or in breach of its statutory duties, it will not be liable to pay any damages for the costs of repairing a vehicle.
Please be advised that the Chertsey Road is subject to a monthly driven safety inspection regime in accordance with its Highway Safety Inspections Policy. These inspections are always undertaken by an experienced highways inspector. The previous inspection prior to the date of your incident was undertaken on 23rd May 2019. During this inspection, no defects were found at the location where your incident occurred, or along Chertsey Road generally.
The first notification we received about this specific defect was on 11th June 2019. As stipulated in our maintenance policy, safety defects reported by the public will be reviewed within 5 working days and then actioned where necessary in accordance with Surrey County Council’s defect severity matrix timescales. Upon inspection of this particular defect on 17th June 2019, it was assigned a repair to be completed within 5 working days of the inspection. Therefore this time period had not expired at the time of your accident. This defect was then duly repaired on 20th June 2019.
With the above in mind, I regret that I cannot make an of offer compensation in this matter as you have requested. Whilst I sympathise with the inconvenience that the damage to the vehicle has caused you, it is the Council’s position that it has undertaken all action reasonably necessary to fulfil its statutory obligations and that the damage caused to the vehicle was not as a result of any negligence of the Council. Liability for this claim is therefore denied, and the Council seeks to rely upon the statutory defence afforded to it under section 58 of the Highways Act 1980.

I do appreciate that this is not the response that you would like; however, I do hope that you will understand that the Council cannot meet claims made in these circumstances.

If you would like to see a copy of the documents relating to the street history, you are entitled to ask and these will be sent to you.

My response.
So it's my fault then. I always find people in public organisations are of a certain sort, arrogant, inconsiderate, never wrong and always on their terms.

From the outset they had no intention to pay. Maybe I should use the same theme when paying my taxes etc.

I feel your pain, my FL RS3 got damaged 4hrs after picking up from dealer.
Huge pothole in city centre wiped out my front left tyre, tore a chunk of rubber out of the sidewall, instant deflation, alloy survived with a tiny chink on it.
Council did not care at all and were not interested in assisting with the damage.

All they have done is quote you the local legal council ********.
They don’t care about any road users at all. But are quick to enforce more parking fines, increase car park charges but not willing to fix the roads.

As for the taxes. I totally agree with you. If every motorist deducted £1000 from their council tax there would be hell on, it might sort it out though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regardless of council policy what would be the outcome if taken to small claims court ? would they fight it or just pay it ! ! and would it cost anything to do this , ?

Reactions: Bonstio
Regardless of council policy what would be the outcome if taken to small claims court ? would they fight it or just pay it ! ! and would it cost anything to do this , ?
true, my concern though is they may only pay for 1 tyre and 50% as its done 10K miles, so i might only get £120, plus i might have to take a day off to attend any court proceedings, so i would lose a days money which would far outweigh any compensation.

I feel your pain, my FL RS3 got damaged 4hrs after picking up from dealer.
Huge pothole in city centre wiped out my front left tyre, tore a chunk of rubber out of the sidewall, instant deflation, alloy survived with a tiny chink on it.
Council did not care at all and were not interested in assisting with the damage.

I would go and report the hole to your local Police Traffic /Roads Policing Inspector and see what they say ,Take photos etc first if possible . If as good as ours up here they will complain and it will be sorted but won't help you claim sadly.