Audi A1 alloys on a B7

SimonRX8

Reaction score
as per the title, will they fit easily?

Currently have s-line alloys on a 05 tfsi s-line quattro - 225/40 18” with bore of 57.1. 7.5jx18 et35. Hub is 5x112.

My friend has a 2014 a1 and is treating himself to some S1 alloys. His has new tyres on and basically said I can have the alloys with tyres for cost of tyres

The alloys are also 18” but 225/35 7.5jx18 but 5x100
225/35R18 7.5Jx18 ET39 5x100. Bore 57.1

Details taken off wheel-size.co.uk as I don’t really understand all the alloy sizing differences

So will they fit ok? I appreciate I’d need adapters for the change from 5x112 to 5x100 (assuming that’s doable). If so, is the tyre difference 225/40 to 225/35 going to be ok?

Many thanks guys

Si

you'll need adapters to start with to address the 5x112 - 5x100 pcd variation, the 225/35 will be lower sidewall profile compared to your 40's but as you are fitting all matched 4 tyres that's fine on a quattro.
Speedo will be out though.
Offset is OK .

Last edited:
for your comparison.

Upload 2019 6 2 15 30 55

Reactions: BakPak
Thanks rob, that sounds promising. Really appreciate the detailed replies

Does anyone have any recommendations for the adapters to change from 5x112 to 5x100? Brand/model wise, or are they much the same?

Anything else I should be wary of or worry about?

Never tried them chap, but like most things you'll find good ones an bad ones.
Try DPM performance , plenty of decent kit from them.

Reactions: AvantMike
more specific for your needs.

https://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/ca...-boltsa4-b6-avant-saloon-vag-5112-to-vag-5100

what you will need to factor in is the thickness of the adapter plate, as it will be like using a spacer , so a 20mm adapter will effectively be the same as using a 20mm spacer, which on an a4 b7 maybe to much , but will depend on the offset of the rim and the width.
As you are looking at fitting a 7.5j rim with 225 then that helps but ET 39 is already a fair bit more than oem.

Here will be your new settings factoring the adapter plate with a thickness of 20mm per side.
the rims you want to use are ET39 but then add on 20mm (per side ) and your effective offset becomes closer to ET19

as you can see , the rims will poke out another 16mm more than what you have now.

Upload 2019 6 2 20 10 41

Thanks rob, much appreciated.

I will do a bit more reading as that seems to suggest the outer rim may poke out too far

A better view for you, ideally higher offsets would be better with these adapter as you can counter the thickness against the offset, but on a4 B7 that's not such an easy thing to do, fronts may rub on suspension parts or wheel arch, rears will be the same.

Upload 2019 6 2 20 20 22

just out of interest chap, what rims do you have fitted at present , oem or aftermarket, if oem , what part number are they.

working on oem spec for your car with a7.5j alloy in a 17" rim it gives you a better starting point on what will fit given what you are looking to fit.
So , 7.5j oem were et43 or et45, lets say 43 for this case, using a 225/40 tyre still.
then what you will end up with using the pcd adapters at 20mm per side.
so look at the final poke dimensions, based on an a4 b7 with oem rims 17" 7.5j with et43.
if you can safetly get the extra width on the car without issues that's fine, if not maybe think on another plan as you will be moving the wheels out 25mm more each side over oem.

Upload 2019 6 2 20 39 31

Not sure what they are called but they are 9 spoke ones and 18”. They are oem.

I’ll be honest the original bits I listed were based on wheel size website for my spec car (2.0 tfsi s-line quattro). It seemed to be the only 18” alloy listed and matched the sizes. So I could well be wrong there...

Just to confuse further... I mistyped the tyre size in original post - should be 235/40 R18

225/35 R18 was right though for the A1’s wheel

Sorry for the original typo and potential confusion!!! Hangs head in shame!

As I suspected, because the s-line were 18" 8j rims with 235/40 18" tyres.
still the basic info is the same, sidewall profile will differ now as tyre width is more.
if they are oem 18" then et43 will be pretty accurate to work on.
based on the A1's being 18" 7.5j and not 8j.

Upload 2019 6 2 21 11 46

Last edited:
My friend has confirmed the ones on his a1 are 225/35 R18 and they are 7.5j wide

Do you think it’s more hassle than it’s worth?

Your choice really, ideally i'd be looking at 5x112 pcd which gives you more option on offsets , width etc.
With these you are very limited as the adapters are creating an extra 20mm (depending on which ones) starting point .
even if the rears go on the fronts may well end up looking like a tractor being so far out.
easiest way is to remove a front and rear wheel , then use some packing washers or similar to simulate that 20mm effect, so on yours we now know the finished width of the rims factoring in the offset etc is 19mm .
move your current rims out 19mm and see what its like, that's what i'd do but your descision and choice.
cant be much more help really .
good luck with it.