Facelift 2018 S3 Clicking noise when turning

The Saints

Reaction score
Don’t know if anyone can let me know of this is normal but when driving today with the window open I could here a distinct metallic sounding click when turning.
This happens at all speeds wether turning left or right. I also don’t need to turn the wheel much to hear it.
The car may have always done this as I rarely drive with the windows open but would be interested if this is normal and a trait of the car or a dealer visit is required.

I grabbed a short video where you can hear the same noise in first second or so and at the end of the clip. The sound is as pronounced on both sides of the car.

Could it be brake pads or shims slightly moving in the callipers?
Mine makes a click type sound when I reverse into the drive and braking. My 3 a6 did something similar so never thought anything of it.

It could be the steering rack.

Worn cv joints also make a clicking noise, but I doubt they would be worn on such a new car.

Not sure on that one. My dad's suspension bearings (think that's what they're called) collapsed and didn't sound like this.

Haven't had that sound on my S3 so can't comment if it's normal or not unfortunately!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Try doing the same thing with your foot on the brake. If it doesn’t make the click then it’s brake related.

Reactions: The Saints
Mine does that, it’s not an S3 though.

Lock to lock it clicks on my Saloon A3, I’ve had this before on a new MK5 golf and it was the steering rack, that golf had 3 racks in total for the same issue.

Thanks for all the replies. Going to get it booked in. Been tuned in to the noise more now and the clicking does occur quite regularly and it’s made worse if turning, even a small amount, whilst going over bumps in the road.

Reactions: AudiNutta
Thanks for all the replies. Going to get it booked in. Been tuned in to the noise more now and the clicking does occur quite regularly and it’s made worse if turning, even a small amount, whilst going over bumps in the road.

Direct them to Audi Technical who are well aware of this. Audi on occasion re-torqued the bolts on the steering rack and this would stop it in the very short term but it would come back... new steering rack is the solution. I don’t think it’s critical haven’t heard of a failure yet, but mine was recovered twice when you pull the right strings with the AA.

Seen my S3 once since selling about a 12 month later, still clicking

Direct them to Audi Technical who are well aware of this. Audi on occasion re-torqued the bolts on the steering rack and this would stop it in the very short term but it would come back... new steering rack is the solution. I don’t think it’s critical haven’t heard of a failure yet, but mine was recovered twice when you pull the right strings with the AA.

Seen my S3 once since selling about a 12 month later, still clicking

Being looked at next week, arming myself for the excuses..
It’s a characteristic of the car
We didn’t hear it on the drive etc...

Thanks for the info

Reactions: davc
Being looked at next week, arming myself for the excuses..
It’s a characteristic of the car
We didn’t hear it on the drive etc...

Thanks for the info

Audi were a little concerned when they heard mine I will be honest, but I got fobbed off in the end when they couldn’t fix it (kept coming back).

It doesn’t have to be driven and they did understand this, only have to turn it side to side in the parking space. They would only drive to test after any adjustments made, then listen again in the car park.

My car just developed the exact sample clicking noise but not only while turning at low speed only, it can also be heard just moving slowly in straight... Does this sound like steering rack too? Or perhaps wheel bearings?

Car is with Audi and they are replacing the top mount and bearings, not sure if that we solve it but they seem confident.

Got the car back today and can confirm that the clicking has stopped after the mount replacement, they have also resolved the center console knee bolster squeak I’ve had since new.
Annoyingly they washed it even after I told them not to so they need it back to sort the minor scratches and swirls they have left
Now I just need to spend a few days trying to get the seat position back to how I like it!

It’s really annoying when they wash your car after you’ve told them not to. Out of interest, which Audi dealer do you use?

It’s really annoying when they wash your car after you’ve told them not to. Out of interest, which Audi dealer do you use?

Southampton Audi, in all honesty can’t really fault then overall but as you say the washing is annoying.
I think part of the issue is that the black paint shows everything hence why I only ever wash myself. It’s also ridiculously soft paint.

Reactions: Mikeso51
Thanks. That’s the dealer I shall be using for the first time soon, so I’ll have to be extra clear about “don’t wash”!

Thanks. That’s the dealer I shall be using for the first time soon, so I’ll have to be extra clear about “don’t wash”!

If I were you I’d make up a Do Not Wash sign and put it on your dash. I suggested that they should do something similar themselves if the customers request cars not to be washed.

Yes, will do that.

Just printed off some excellent “Please do not wash” signs from the Detailing forum. Maybe I need the Polish versions as well - lots of Polish car washers in Soton.

Yes, will do that.

Just printed off some excellent “Please do not wash” signs from the Detailing forum. Maybe I need the Polish versions as well - lots of Polish car washers in Soton.

Last time I had to do something like this I told the service manager if your guys wash my car I will be billing you for a full detail with ceramics at £500+ as your car wash/numpties will ruin the coating on the car.
Tried to get them to sign something off to that effect as well but they weren’t having it.
The service manager had words in the workshop and my car never got cleaned again in that place. Didn’t even get a vacuum which I actually don’t mind them doing.

Yes, will do that.

Would the Polish version not read "Please do not polish":whistle2:

Taken the car on its first proper drive since the fix...and the issue is still there back it goes

I have the exact same issue on my passenger side front wheel, took it into The dealer to be checked and they said everything is perfectly fine no issues, I argued with them and in the end got 2 new front outer CV Joints fitted under warranty but got the car back today and it’s still there!

I have put the spare wheel on to rule out the alloy/tyre - Still clicks

CV Joint & boot ruled out as replaced

Alignment was done few months back when springs went on (Eibach Pro) by Midland VW

Dealer suggests investigation into wheel bearing but isn’t covered by warranty, I don’t think it’s the cause as I only get a click going slow turning right and it’s only 1 tick and not constant, no negative driving feedback at all even at high speeds.

Can’t see there being an issue with the suspension because I don’t get any noises or bad effects driving over bumps.

Last edited:
Finally had the car back today after a couple attempts to resolve the clicking. It was diagnosed and fixed under a Service Bulletin for the front wheel bearings, essentially dismantled greased up and reassembled. Got it back and the clicking noise had gone but the steering wheel was no longer centred and I was having to drive it with wheel 5 degrees to the right to go straight, however they did fix that quite quickly, just frustrating they gave it back to me like that.
Hopefully this is the end of the saga!

Finally had the car back today after a couple attempts to resolve the clicking. It was diagnosed and fixed under a Service Bulletin for the front wheel bearings, essentially dismantled greased up and reassembled. Got it back and the clicking noise had gone but the steering wheel was no longer centred and I was having to drive it with wheel 5 degrees to the right to go straight, however they did fix that quite quickly, just frustrating they gave it back to me like that.
Hopefully this is the end of the saga!

Glad to hear it’s fixed for you! But do you happened to have the TSB number? Tried to search for it but found nothing...

Quick thanks to @The Saints I bought a new hub & bearing kit (FAG) and had it fitted today and it’s solved my clicking issue turning slowly!

Had a wheel alignment done (hunter system) on the way home and the car feels amazingly smooth, I kept swearing from left to right

Glad to hear it’s fixed for you! But do you happened to have the TSB number? Tried to search for it but found nothing...

I have asked the dealer for it but yet nothing, I’ll chase it later in the week and if I get anything I’ll post here.

sorry to revive an old post, but do you have the TSB number? i am having the same issue and the dealer is telling me its "normal"