390mm Front brakes

LEW115B

Reaction score
just a quick one I have searched the forum but haven't found anything really...

I've currently got a B8 A4 2.0tdi and looking to upgrade the brakes. I'm looking at some RS6 390mm 6 pot front brakes. What I was wondering has anyone got this size of brakes with 19" wheels? Some say that you can and some say you can't.

I've got some 19" cast rotiforms and they have about 440mm inside space if anyone has any ideas whether they'd fit that'd be great :)

Thank you!

I’ve got 390mm brakes but they’re AP racing rather than oem. They fit with 19” la mans with about 2mm clearance between calliper and wheel barrel. With my 19” BBS CH on there is plenty of room so where 1 wheel may work another may not.

Trial and error is the only way you will know for sure!

Reactions: LEW115B
I have OE Audi S8 6pot Brembo's with the RS6 390mm discs & pads with RS5 brake lines under Audi 19" Peeler alloys with a 10mm spacer.
The Audi S8 6pot Brembo is the same/similar as the current RS6 caliper but the earlier RS6 Brembo 6pots has a slightly smaller Brembo caliper and different bracket but the same pads. If you go earlier again the RS6'sran a Brembo 8pot caliper much like the RS5/R8.
They are a very tight fit!! They do require a little machining of the bracket and "shaving" the rear edge of the caliper but they do fit and are a very worthy upgrade.

Reactions: Misikee, GarethS4 and LEW115B
That is a serious overkill for a brake-setup on a 2 litre diesel. And expensive aswell :) just go with 320 or 345 and stay with A4/S4 calipers and good pads, for example EBC Red Stuff. More than enough for your car.

Reactions: ion2211, desertstorm, LEW115B and 1 other person
There’s no such thing as overkill when it comes to brakes.

Reactions: GarethS4, LEW115B and Cerbera9
There’s no such thing as overkill when it comes to brakes.

That is a serious overkill for a brake-setup on a 2 litre diesel. And expensive aswell :) just go with 320 or 345 and stay with A4/S4 calipers and good pads, for example EBC Red Stuff. More than enough for your car.

I have OE Audi S8 6pot Brembo's with the RS6 390mm discs & pads with RS5 brake lines under Audi 19" Peeler alloys with a 10mm spacer.
The Audi S8 6pot Brembo is the same/similar as the current RS6 caliper but the earlier RS6 Brembo 6pots has a slightly smaller Brembo caliper and different bracket but the same pads. If you go earlier again the RS6'sran a Brembo 8pot caliper much like the RS5/R8.
They are a very tight fit!! They do require a little machining of the bracket and "shaving" the rear edge of the caliper but they do fit and are a very worthy upgrade.

I’ve got 390mm brakes but they’re AP racing rather than oem. They fit with 19” la mans with about 2mm clearance between calliper and wheel barrel. With my 19” BBS CH on there is plenty of room so where 1 wheel may work another may not.

Trial and error is the only way you will know for sure!

Cheers for all of the replies guys! I've spoken to a few other people and they've said the same some wheels will fit with the 390mm brakes and some won't so just try them really is what I'm thinking!

In regards to them being overkill I can see where you're coming from as the car doesn't essentially need them however can brakes ever be too good? I know there's cheaper upgrades out there however I want brakes that are going to fill the wheels completely and look good at the same time

Cheers

Reactions: Meemo, GarethS4 and RyanJonS4
Brakes can be too good that they out brake the tyres, and if increasing the req volumes does the master cylinder need changing?

Absolutely no point in fitting brakes that big to something like a 2.0 TDI. It won't stop any quicker than if it had a decent 345mm brake set up on. Brakes that big are designed to stop 2 ton cars traveling at 155 mph quickly and repeatedly.
Do an emergency stop from 80mph in a standard car and I bet you get the ABS kicking in, you have exceeded the grip limit of the tyres, bigger brakes like that won't really stop you any quicker unless your traveling substantially over the speed limit.
The point above about multi pot brake calipers on standard master cylinders is valid. Some times you end up with a longer pedal and the extra weight associated with brakes that big especially the discs doesn't help handling or performance.

I agree with some of the above but I don't think all of the info is correct.
I would rather have more braking than I need than not enough. Its easy to go fast but a lot harder to stop quick and uprated brakes are by far the best modification I have done to the S4 they instill much more confidence in the car.
The A4 is a heavy car esp once you have a full tank, couple of people in the car and the usual stuff we carry in the boot etc and thus take a lot to slow it down.
Yes I agree that the standard brakes are up to the job esp the S4's and will lock up the wheels BUT under repeated heavy use they can be found to be wanting and fade easily mainly due to excessive heat. This can be highlighed further if the car is tuned and driven hard BUT the standard brakes can be improved upon. Changing to EBC pads and grooved discs etc can go so far to improve things and the gains are usually small. One if the big problems with the A4 is the lack of brake cooling from the front if the car in to the wheel arches. I've seen standard brakes get so hot that the wheel bolts have come loose and a wheel come off a moving car!!
Big calipers with big pads, the RS6 pads have about twice the surface area of the standard S4 pads combined with big discs & big surface area vastly increase the amount of friction applied during breaking and under controlled breaking can dramatically shorten the stopping distance this does need to be combined with good tyes to be effective. The downside of more friction though is more heat and this is where the bigger discs really help by being able to disapate the heat much better, they generally are much thicker with bigger vents and either two peice or a floating design to prevent heat transfer to the hubs. Put a 390mm disc next to a 345mm disc and you'll see exactly what I mean.
I have Brembo 6pots and the standard S4 master cylinder works just fine. Yes the steering is a tad heavier with bigger discs but its not noticable and the gains in braking performance more than make up for it.
Never buy brakes on the way they look, they are functional and have one job to do in stopping the car and nothing should comprimise that!!
It all comes down to how you use the car and if you feel you need better braking. but I've never hear of anyone complaning their brakes are too good. Now if this is you route to work in the morning I would say your gonna need all the braking you can get ;)

Stelvio3

Italian side of the Stelvio Pass .........and yes it is as much fun as it looks to drive ;)

You hit the nail on the head with the lack of cooling. Which is why I have 345mm 4 pot Brembo calipers with red stuff pads and some decent 2 part discs. Couple that with some proper brake cooling ducts and you will have as much braking as you reasonably need. 390mm brakes on a tuned S4 thats driven hard , there's nothing wrong with that. On a 2.0 TDI they are way over the top, that's the point I was trying to make.
Better off spending money on the best tyres you can get, the new Michelin pilot sport 4S get some good reviews.

I also have Michelin PS4S’s and cant fault them, awesome tyres and much better than my previous Conti’s. Will only fit Michelin from now on and recommend them to anyone.
It a combination of all the right upgrade parts, brakes, tyres, suspension etc working together that enhance a cars performance and handling. Choose the correct good quality parts and you shouldn’t go too far wrong.

To be fair it doesn't really matter if the car needs the brakes, I think loads of people do all sorts of stuff to their cars which I wouldn't do and quite often think looks daft. Thing is, it doesn't matter because its not my car.
My opinion is that you'll be adding loads of weight, having to drive round on enormous wheels and costing yourself an arm and a leg on the off chance that one day you have to pull up as hard as you can 15 times within 2 minutes.
My opinion is also that I think my car looks cool when its dirty and really like the jacked up SE suspension, most people would disagree, but hey, its my car so I can do what I want with it :)