Exhaust middle silencer delete

paultownsend

Reaction score
In the next few weeks I will be attempted to remove the pre cat core in my S3 down pipe.

With my previous Golf 1.8T I replaced the mid silencer with a straight pipe from a TDi. And it sounded great. So much so I didn’t feel it necessary to ever upgrade to a Miltek etc.

As the exhaust is off, I was thinking of doing the same with the S3, by fitting a delete from from BayE. It’s only 50 quid.

Does anyone have experience of this on a stock car with the standard backbox? Does it drone? Is it too loud? Is it boomy?

I have experience of this on a TT. This car does not have a valve in the system like the S3.
On tick over and low revs it sounds a bit tractorish. When your foot is down it sounds good.

Please tell me more about the pipe delete on your 1.8T? I have one of these as my daily driver and would certainly be interested in a bit more noise as it is virtually silent what ever I am doing.
Cheers!

A tractor is exactly what I dont want!

For the mk4 GTI. You can can an OEM pipe from the make GTTDI which is the mid pipe without the silencer. They used to be about £15 from ECP.

It didn’t make it too much louder. And no drone. But it sounded a bit like a jet when it came on boost strange to explain but a certain improvement. And it saves weight!

What is the exhaust setup on the S3? Is it the same as the golf Mk5 Gti?

Just had pre-cat delete done on my mrs’ Mk5, definitely a worthwhile easy/cheap mod

Think I’m going to replace the Downpipe and go catless on my S3 though. Just can’t get over the prices, milltek ones are £300+!!!

I have completely stock exhaust with a resonator delete (centre muffler).
The car is louder, but I don't have a constant drone. Cold starts are louder and sound raspy, and putting your foot down results in a sportier exhaust note, but motorway and town driving in the right gear is barely any louder than completely stock.
I have shared a video on the forum recently.

The S3 exhaust has 3 silencers. But the front pre cat and cat section looks the same as the Gti. How would you say knocking out the pre cat has effected it?

pre-cat delete being done on my S3 end of next week to my otherwise standard exhaust system, will report back my thoughts.. will give you a better idea.

pre-cat delete being done on my S3 end of next week to my otherwise standard exhaust system, will report back my thoughts.. will give you a better idea.

Is this a lot of effort for little gain? As the DP needs to come off, which includes undoing the prop shaft would it not be worth while fitting an aftermarket DP? BCS (although relatively pricey) typically won't cause the ECL light to come on and will set your up for future development.

In saying this, I completely get the cost aspect...