Facelift Child Lock Fault - Query

K313

Reaction score
Hi all,

New member here, I was just after a little bit of advice. I've searched the forum and google and couldn't find much information so apologies if this has been asked before.
I have a 68 plate A3 1.5 TFSI Sport trim, been great so far. But for around the last week or so now, pretty much every time the passenger door is opened, a system warning shows stating 'Child lock fault'. A few seconds after this message pops up the passenger side windows (front and rear) lower around 1-2 inches and the passenger door mirror will not unfold/fold, nor the windows raise unless the engine is switched on/off. Is there an easy solution to this problem or is it a dealer job?

Thanks!

Take it back and get it checked out.
You don’t want it getting stuck while it’s raining.
It could be anything from door switches to windows to crash sensors.
Can only guess without a scan.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
The dealers have had a look at it today, been informed that I require a new door harness connector block and 8 wire repairs due to ingress. I had the sill repaired around November time from an independent garage who did remove the doors to carry out the work. Obviously this will void the warranty on this defect. Due to this problem arising so long after the repairs were carried out, does the garage hold any responsibility for the damage caused (can't see any other causes to the damage other than when the garage had it)or am I liable to pay the full amount. Been quoted over £1000 for the repairs (seemed a lot!!!)

Thanks.

The dealers have had a look at it today, been informed that I require a new door harness connector block and 8 wire repairs due to ingress. I had the sill repaired around November time from an independent garage who did remove the doors to carry out the work. Obviously this will void the warranty on this defect. Due to this problem arising so long after the repairs were carried out, does the garage hold any responsibility for the damage caused (can't see any other causes to the damage other than when the garage had it)or am I liable to pay the full amount. Been quoted over £1000 for the repairs (seemed a lot!!!)

Thanks.
Unfortunately, I think you'd have difficulty proving liability after this time. £1,000 seems excessive but I'm no expert.

Unfortunately, I think you'd have difficulty proving liability after this time. £1,000 seems excessive but I'm no expert.
Thanks for the reply,
I thought that may be the case unfortunately. Don't want to go down the insurance route as premium will sky-rocket.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Right.....I was wondering if you had done the damage yourself. What a bummer on a brand new car. :(
Have Audi actually told you that the warranty will not cover this....so they are aware of the previous repair?
If so then surely because it is a door related problem and the independent where you had the repair done only 6 months ago removed the doors, you would think they should accept responsibility because their workmanship is to blame.

Right.....I was wondering if you had done the damage yourself. What a bummer on a brand new car. :(
Have Audi actually told you that the warranty will not cover this....so they are aware of the previous repair?
If so then surely because it is a door related problem and the independent where you had the repair done only 6 months ago removed the doors, you would think they should accept responsibility because their workmanship is to blame.

I hadn't informed them of the repairs but they have told me that it can not be done under warranty as 'someone has clearly tampered' with the door connections. As far as I'm aware no one else has gone near that part of the car apart from the garage. Just worried that because it's been 6 months it may be difficult to prove.

Yes there is always the likelihood that they will deny any wrong doing.
All the evidence points to them, so they would have to claim that somebody else has subsequently removed the doors and/or interfered with the wiring.
All you can do is go see them and be nice and polite about it, that way they might be more inclined to help you out.

If you went through the insurance for the repair then normally that repair is guaranteed for 5 years at that’s the case with lv, direct line etc.
6 months isn’t that long to be fair even buying a £20 toy out of Argos has 1 year warranty anyway.

£1k for repairs seems excessive but Audi parts isn’t exactly the cheapest out there. I had a light bump slipping on diesel at 15mph and it did £4K+ of damage.