Crewe Audi - RS3 Disc And Pad Group Buy

creweaudiparts

t.fox@creweaudi.co.uk
Reaction score
Hi,

I have seen quite a few "posts" and "threads" regarding pads and disks in this section and wondered if it was worth me and members in me doing a group buy to get the price down even more.

It could be disc and pad kit or the parts seperate,whatever you guys would find better.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

Reactions: FBF01, Callump01 and AudiNutta
Good idea and following to see the prices, however as with most of us the likelihood is at the very least we will be opting for an aftermarket pad to stop the dreaded squeal.

Still as I said, will be interesting to see what you can offer.

Definitely interested, especially in the pads alone. Will be following this thread.

Reactions: FBF01, Sandra and AudiNutta
Definitely interested, especially in the pads alone. Will be following this thread.

Do Tesla’s need brake pads then Callum?

Oops, sorry for sliding in off topic.. back out now ;)

Reactions: Sandra and Callump01
I'm interested, mainly for discs but be good to know prices for pads as well

Reactions: AudiNutta
Shhh!! You’re such a grass Matt :tonguewink:

You deserve the might of ASN for even contemplating it ;)

You know I’m only teasing, more V-Power for the rest of us. Been saying this for a while, need to start pushing others down the electric vehicle route to preserve our oil ;) I’ve never been in a Tesla, hint hint.. wink wink

Reactions: Callump01 and Sandra
Are there any prices for this potential group buy ? Looks like I will need front discs soon

Never had any issue with the std discs tbh. The Reylands are significantly more expensive and dont want the hassle of declaring modifications to insurance etc.

Never had any issue with the std discs tbh. The Reylands are significantly more expensive and dont want the hassle of declaring modifications to insurance etc.

The initial outlay yes..... but come replacement time you only pay for the discs.
When I rang LV up they didn’t class the discs as a mod

Reactions: AudiNutta
The initial outlay yes..... but come replacement time you only pay for the discs.
When I rang LV up they didn’t class the discs as a mod
Thats good to know as I am with LV too. Going to inspect and measure the discs tomorrow and see how close they are to needing replacement, the Reylands def are a better long term choice.

Reactions: T-800
Get the Reylands instead you won’t regret it.
Squeak free even with DS2500 pads.

I’m about to hit the button on Reyland now after your recommendation, as opposed to the Revo Alcon’s my indi recommended.

I mentioned to the indi that I had changed my mind about DS2500 and wanted to go for DS Performance, they said it’s a big mistake because they’ve fitted them on 2 cars (albeit a while back) and after a few heavy stops they left an awful residue on the discs causing judder... I’m guessing you haven’t got any of this?

I was also tempted by the upgraded 385mm discs that Reyland offer, but its £200 for an extra 15mm and not sure if the extra performance (if any) would be worth the cost? But as you say initial outlay is the worst part of these, come change time will be cheaper than OEM discs by quite a long way.

They aren’t that much more to be honest, the Reyland are £745 and the best price I got quoted for OEM was £590 or so.

My OEM discs don’t need changing they still have a good 10-15,000 miles left in them, BUT.. they are cracking terrible all across the centre line of the disc and very badly from the drilled holes. I won’t put new pads in them because the discs will need changing long before the pads, so biting the bullet and losing some life in the discs and changing both to be done with the issue.

So OEM are cheaper, but if you lose say 25% of your lifespan out of them... the Reyland discs will be better value for money.

My std discs are at 32.5mm and 19500 miles so about 1-2k till they are at wear limit. What mileage and disc thickness is your car at ?

I will be going for the Reylands too, also going to need a set of tyres so a bit of outlay coming up

My std discs are at 32.5mm and 19500 miles so about 1-2k till they are at wear limit. What mileage and disc thickness is your car at ?

I will be going for the Reylands too, also going to need a set of tyres so a bit of outlay coming up

I’m at 19,400 miles and I haven’t measured mine, I’ve got a slight lip at this stage. I was informed that the small dimples in the disc were a guide to the life left in them, of which I’ve got plenty left.

Asked my independent to measure the discs and they got the apprentice to have a look, he was unable to get the micrometer over the disc because of the backing plate... how did you measure yours?

Mine have a small lip too and I also thought the blind dimples would be wear indicators but having now measured the thickness I dont think they are. Ive added a pic of one of my front discs, the lip is not particularly deep.

I used a disc measuring vernier to measure them, can be done without removing the wheel. Link below. However I am going to take a wheel of tomorrow and double check the thickness to be sure.

Mine are at 32.5 after 19500 miles. So assuming 34mm initial thickness works out at 13k miles per mm for my driving style. 1.3k miles per 0.1mm wear.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/163726548004

e4ee3e6bb6ce4cde7ff3d0ca3a39ba74.jpg

Mine have a small lip too and I also thought the blind dimples would be wear indicators but having now measured the thickness I dont think they are. Ive added a pic of one of my front discs, the lip is not particularly deep.

I used a disc measuring vernier to measure them, can be done without removing the wheel. Link below. However I am going to take a wheel of tomorrow and double check the thickness to be sure.

Mine are at 32.5 after 19500 miles. So assuming 34mm initial thickness works out at 13k miles per mm for my driving style. 1.3k miles per 0.1mm wear.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/163726548004

e4ee3e6bb6ce4cde7ff3d0ca3a39ba74.jpg

From the picture yours do look very comparable to mine wear wise, as best as I can tell.. just a subtle lip.

My pads are getting pretty low now at this mileage, maybe 3-4mm left? Which looks very low to me.

For sure if that is your measurement then the dimples are nothing to go by. When I asked Audi if it was a wear indicator they said that was correct, I’ve been advised differently on here since a couple of times... I think all those who I’ve asked have been guessing not wanting to say they don’t know.

I’ve just ordered one of those gauges thanks very much for the link, didn’t know there was a specific one for the job even if it’s a little expensive for what it is haha. I just ordered a bog standard micrometer which was too large for the job, will report back with my disc measurements when it arrives.

However I’ve not become conscious of taking over this thread, there are many other brake threads for us to choose from ;) I do think though this contributes in a way to Crewe Audi Parts Dept as it is advising us when they need changing, so we will keep on that track now.

Reactions: Dan_DJT
How do you know when your discs are low? Squeaking? How does that sound different from the pad squeaking?

I am at 33k and I have had my pads changed a few months ago and I have just started to notice some squeaking again but I am assuming its the pads. I imagine that the discs are getting low but I drive very gently so they have lasted so far...

How do you know when your discs are low? Squeaking? How does that sound different from the pad squeaking?

I am at 33k and I have had my pads changed a few months ago and I have just started to notice some squeaking again but I am assuming its the pads. I imagine that the discs are getting low but I drive very gently so they have lasted so far...
You can measure the disc thickness, I did it and made a new thread about it below

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=396964&share_fid=2376&share_type=t

Reactions: Spinstorm
I’m coming up to 48k now. Still original discs however been using the red stuffs for two years now (25k) on these. All looks looks good with no noticeable lip on the discs