Fault code 17608 P1200-35-00

S3JACKSON

Reaction score
I have a standard 2002 S3 BAM which i scan every couple of months for codes and is always code free.

I did a scan the other day and got fault code 17608 p1200-35-00.

I cleared the code and went for a short drive and the code was back.

I changed the N249 for a new one and checked all my hoses, cleared the code and went for a drive only for the code to come back.

Today i have replaced the oem DV with another new oem DV, cleared the code and went for a drive but the code keeps coming back.

The car drives fine and the eml is not on, can anyone give me some advice on what logs i should be doing and what block numbers i should use?

I did wonder if i might have a map sensor fault?

Thanks

Steve

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17608/P1200/004608

17608/P1200/004608 - Boost Pressure Control Valve (N249): Mechanical Malfunction

This code appears when the ECU cannot see boost drop in a timely fashion after its actuated the N249 to operate the DV...

If you have done an N249 bypass then this code does pop up from time to time on mapped cars... if not then its a sign that he DV maybe at fault...

<tuffty/>

I changed the DV a few years a go only because the original one had been on the car for 14 years, so when i saw this code i went for the new N249 first.

When that didn't stop the code coming back i tried another new oem DV, i tested the one i took off and it was fine.

I haven't done the N249 bypass as i want to keep the car standard.

If i had map sensor fault should this bring up another code?

Yes... Would be a separate fault code for a faulty map sensor...

The code you have is simply because the ecu has tried to use the N249 to dump boost and not seen pressure drop quickly enough so assumes that the dv is faulty or a fault with the vacuum system the n249 controls .. The fact it mentions the N249 at all is a little misleading tbh as they don't fault... The issue is just that boost pressure is not dropping off

If the map sensor was faulty (it does happen) then there would potentially be other running issues and fault codes

<tuffty/>

Thanks for your help with this.

As i know the DV and N249 are not the problem i will remove all the vacuum pipes and have a close look, maybe i have missed something.

Anything else i should check?

I suspect the vacuum tank might have a split in it so i am just going to replace everything as it's all 17 years old now

Found the problem, the last person to change the plugs didn't put the pipes back in the clip