S4 fuel tank capacity???

BuzzW4

Reaction score
Hi
Everywhere Ive checked says S4 fuel tank is 58litres.
Ive run it down to showing 20miles left in the tank.
Brimmed it with Momentum 99 and got... 49l in.
Hmm.
For those 49l I did around 350miles - pretty good, comparable to the Golf R Ive just come from.
But surely the red light and "fill up now" warnings don't mean theres 10l left????
Theres a guy at work who has an A4 (oil burner) with a smaller capacity tank (he didn't realise you have to specify the larger tank). Is this possibly the same with the S4?

Just the computer being pessimistic. The tank is definitely 58L and there’s no option of different size tanks, I’ve managed to get 54L in before when it said 5 miles or something remaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve never managed to get more than 51L in mine, even when I thought I was almost empty

They obviously cater for the average person to push the limits then... Probably for the best if my wife is anything to go by!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Keef
Its surprising how quickly you can use fuel in it - so I guess they're just giving you plenty of warning. But thats quite a margin. Feels like the sensor is out of calibration or something.
But ok at least its not me or my car...

thanks!

Reactions: Keef and Daggerit
It's 58 for the RS as well which is a bit small - even the previous Q3 had 10 litres more. When 26mpg is a realistic average the tank lacks the ability to provide decent range - brimmed the DIS often reports less that 400 miles total range.

It's 58 for the RS as well which is a bit small - even the previous Q3 had 10 litres more. When 26mpg is a realistic average the tank lacks the ability to provide decent range - brimmed the DIS often reports less that 400 miles total range.
Agreed, full mine says about 380 range!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

It must be 58l to first click, as I have kept going and stopped @ 60l. Have done this exercise for every vehicle owned. Run it down as far as possible to confirm the mileage I can expect under normal city driving and whether the tank or gauge is lying.

It makes no difference does it? It still remains that the quoted size of a fuel tank may not necessarily be calculated by the amount of liquid you can get into it because there has to be spare capacity to allow for expansion. I guess it is the differences between actual capacity and nominal capacity...