2009 A3 1.8 TFSI Sport - What should I be looking out for?

Alex S

Reaction score
Alright everybody.

I'm looking at buying my first Audi next weekend. Unfortunately I'm on a pretty tight budget, buying second hand for about £5,000.

My requirements are basically for something that isn't too small, is fast enough to be fun when I want to enjoy it, and won't drink its way through petrol too fast on my daily commute.

As such I've settled on trying to find an Audi A3, with the 1.8 TFSI seeming like the best option.

Now there's a couple of them available near me, both for around the same price, both 2009 models and both with about 90,000 miles on them. I'm planning on going to have a look at both in the next few days.

Both cars apparently have a full service history all apparently main dealer servicing (although of course I haven't seen proof yet).

My question to you guys is simple. What kind of things should I be looking out for? Both with the car itself and with its service history? Are there any jobs I should be looking for in particular that have been completed?

Apologies if this is really quite a simple question but this will be the first car I've bought that isn't a total dog bought for about five hundred quid so I'm wanting to make sure I don't end up with a mare!

Thanks.

I have a 1.8 TFSI BZB so gen1 ea888 engine. If you're looking at 2009 models then guess they'll be gen2 and engine code will start with a C.

Common problems are water pump failure. Mine failed at around 30k. But prob biggest issue facing the early ea888 engines is cam tensioner failure. The tensioner was revised from around 2012 I think. Been a huge issue even leading to a lawsuit against Audi and VW in the States. Also chain stretch can be an issue too. Check for any rattling on start up. They do tend to be quite noisy engines though when idling.

Apart from that diverter valve failure can also be an issue. Relatively easy DIY to replace though.

The 1.8 is a great little engine. Could do with a bit more power but a stage 1 remap would sort that. Take it up to just over 200 bhp

I have the 2.0 TFSI EA888 engine and fuel economy is not its strongpoint. C chain and tensioner problems as well withis version. There is no warning that these two vital components will fail on either engine.
For piece of mind you really need to factor in an £800 bill to have them changed unless their is proof it has been done already.
Test drive the car as you would any other and check all the electrical gizmos work ok. Good luck.

I have a 1.8 TFSI BZB so gen1 ea888 engine. If you're looking at 2009 models then guess they'll be gen2 and engine code will start with a C.

Common problems are water pump failure. Mine failed at around 30k. But prob biggest issue facing the early ea888 engines is cam tensioner failure. The tensioner was revised from around 2012 I think. Been a huge issue even leading to a lawsuit against Audi and VW in the States. Also chain stretch can be an issue too. Check for any rattling on start up. They do tend to be quite noisy engines though when idling.

Apart from that diverter valve failure can also be an issue. Relatively easy DIY to replace though.

The 1.8 is a great little engine. Could do with a bit more power but a stage 1 remap would sort that. Take it up to just over 200 bhp

I have the 2.0 TFSI EA888 engine and fuel economy is not its strongpoint. C chain and tensioner problems as well withis version. There is no warning that these two vital components will fail on either engine.
For piece of mind you really need to factor in an £800 bill to have them changed unless their is proof it has been done already.
Test drive the car as you would any other and check all the electrical gizmos work ok. Good luck.

How would I find out exactly what engine spec this has?

Would you guys say that buying a 2009 A3 you'd expect the cam tensioner to have been fixed and you'd avoid it or push hard on price if it hadn't been?

Guess the engine code is probably CABB or CABD. Will say in the log book on the options sticker or in the boot where the spare is.

Tensioner was never recalled. If it has been replaced then it will say in the service history. Not saying it happens to every engine but there's a lot of horror stories online regarding it. Also affects the 2.0 tfsi as well. When they do fail though they can cause a lot of damage and an expensive repair.

Oh yeah, another common problem on the gen 2 engines was oil consumption!

Last edited:
I had a 2009 1.8 TFSI and traded it after 3 months on an S3 (I understand you’re in a tight budget so that’s not an option). My 1.8 was in excellent condition and although I always intended to tinker with it I was surprised about the lack of aftermarket parts available for it (I’m not talking big turbo etc).

Mine didn’t use any oil in the 1500 miles I completed but oil consumption can be an issue on the 1.8. I didn’t have cam chain issues either and there was no record of this having been replaced (full ASH).

As tidy as it was I must admit I was completely underwhelmed by its performance (circa 160bhp). On 2 separate occasions I did open the bonnet to see if it was a turbo! The DV was fine and there was no leaks or codes.

If I was you, I’d hunt for a 2.0tfsi, ideally Quattro. There is even several S3’s (06-09) on Autotrader at the moment about this price.

Apart from the water pump mine has been running great, no codes. Obviously you're always going to hear more bad stories online than from people who haven't had any issues at all. Any car can have problems. If it's been well looked after and has a full Audi service history then def worth considering.

I had a 2009 1.8 TFSI and traded it after 3 months on an S3 (I understand you’re in a tight budget so that’s not an option). My 1.8 was in excellent condition and although I always intended to tinker with it I was surprised about the lack of aftermarket parts available for it (I’m not talking big turbo etc).

Mine didn’t use any oil in the 1500 miles I completed but oil consumption can be an issue on the 1.8. I didn’t have cam chain issues either and there was no record of this having been replaced (full ASH).

As tidy as it was I must admit I was completely underwhelmed by its performance (circa 160bhp). On 2 separate occasions I did open the bonnet to see if it was a turbo! The DV was fine and there was no leaks or codes.

If I was you, I’d hunt for a 2.0tfsi, ideally Quattro. There is even several S3’s (06-09) on Autotrader at the moment about this price.

Yeah I think if I was buying again I'd go for a 2.0tfsi. I haven't owned anything much faster than my 1.8tfsi (previous car was a 170 V5 golf), I would say it has enough power for everyday driving and motorway. Overtaking no problem etc but yeah could do with a bit more power. I live in Japan though where the speed limits are much slower than UK,traffic lights everywhere and people drive funny little 600cc cars!

Stage 1 map is always an option if you want that extra power. Or yeah as above, find yourself a nice S3 for similar price!

Yeah I think if I was buying again I'd go for a 2.0tfsi. I haven't owned anything much faster than my 1.8tfsi (previous car was a 170 V5 golf), I would say it has enough power for everyday driving and motorway. Overtaking no problem etc but yeah could do with a bit more power. I live in Japan though where the speed limits are much slower than UK,traffic lights everywhere and people drive funny little 600cc cars!

Stage 1 map is always an option if you want that extra power. Or yeah as above, find yourself a nice S3 for similar price!

I know the 1.8 isn't the fastest car but the reality for me is that I'm not looking for something lightning fast. I passed my test 11 years ago, when I did so I bought myself a dirt cheap golf that I'm pretty sure took about 16 seconds to get to 60 and for various reasons I've been stuck with it ever since. So for me even the 1.8 is one hell of a ******* upgrade over what I've been driving for the last decade!

Reactions: GTz, A3JP and samuelh_888
Hi Alex
I'm thinking of buying a 2010 A3 TFSI 1.8, viewing Wednesday, just wondering how yours worked out?!
Thanks
Joe

I know the 1.8 isn't the fastest car but the reality for me is that I'm not looking for something lightning fast. I passed my test 11 years ago, when I did so I bought myself a dirt cheap golf that I'm pretty sure took about 16 seconds to get to 60 and for various reasons I've been stuck with it ever since. So for me even the 1.8 is one hell of a ******* upgrade over what I've been driving for the last decade!
I agree, the 1.8t is no slouch by all means. I guess the Turbo lag could be considered a downside, but that's expected from all old gen turbos.

Reactions: coupa