CV Boot Leaking after service

cgallagher94

Reaction score
Yesterday I had my B8 A4 Avant Quattro in for a routine oil change service and health check, all seemed fine and was only recommended to replace an exhaust hanger.

However, just as I got home, the steering all of a sudden became heavier and started to hear a groaning noise. Had a look in the Power Steering Fluid reservoir and this was below the filter, I topped it up to the recommended level with about 150ml.

Took the car out this afternoon and again as I pulled off the drive, the groaning noise started to come back, stopped and thought I would investigate further and noticed a leak on the inner edge of the drivers side inner cv boot.

Now I'm wondering if this component was failing, should it have been picked up during the service and health check? Or has anyone else had a similar experience?

Going to ring Audi UK shortly and see what they say, but maybe it's just sheer bad luck and it failed during that drive after the service.

Thanks for any feedback.

Sounds like you actually have two issues

1. A loose cv boot, could be it just needs a new clamp

2. Some sort of leak on the steering rack which is a lot more serious

Sounds like you actually have two issues

1. A loose cv boot, could be it just needs a new clamp

2. Some sort of leak on the steering rack which is a lot more serious

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the thoughts, I was thinking the boot could be loose as I have been told the clamps can slacken off. And I also noticed that both driver and passenger sides the boots were quite twisted.

I noticed that the fluid was the dark green colour and during other steering rack failures I have read up on, the fluid is typically a brown colour, is this true?

I'm going to get it back tomorrow to West London Audi who carried out the service and see what they think also.

Just thought I would update my experiences on here for anyone else, took the car to Audi and they confirmed the worst, the steering rack seals had failed and a new part would be required. They quoted me £2500 for parts and labour including wheel alignment and tracking.

But they said they would not be able to do this for at least 2 weeks, so I called around and found Russell Automotive Centre based in North Wembley, they used a genuine Audi part and have audi trained techs on site, but they quoted me near £1000 cheaper and would still have a 2 year guarantee on the part and labour for repair! Took the car to them on the Monday and the car was ready for collection by the Wednesday!

I have the car back and it feels better than ever, recieved great service from the guus at Russell Automotive and am now possibly even looking at getting a Revo stage 1 map done with them in the near future!

Can I ask what milage you are at and the age of the car that required this work carried out?

Can I ask what milage you are at and the age of the car that required this work carried out?

It was on a 59 plate A4 Avant Quattro with 33k miles. Not sure what caused the failure as I have only had the car for around 8 months, think I was just unlucky

Not heard CV clamps giving way before. Used to use GKN Driveline boots (excellent kits), but I now question the quality of the rubber as the boots I fitted developed cracks in under 2 years. Audi OEM all the way.

Back to your power-steering rack. It's meant to be a sod of a job to do. Could be whoever had the car before you used to do hard lock to hard lock steering. I've seen people park in tight spots and they're rotating the steering while the car is in a stationary position. That kind of stuff kills them.

Reactions: jdp1962
It was on a 59 plate A4 Avant Quattro with 33k miles. Not sure what caused the failure as I have only had the car for around 8 months, think I was just unlucky
Your car is past the age where there's any benefit to be had from using Audi dealers and paying their inflated prices. In future, stick to a good independent and save your pennies. :)

Could be whoever had the car before you used to do hard lock to hard lock steering. I've seen people park in tight spots and they're rotating the steering while the car is in a stationary position. That kind of stuff kills them.
That's a timely reminder; having DSG, I'm very conscious of making sure the car is completely stationery when going from reverse to first in tight manouevres. So I have to be doubly conscientious not to apply lock in those moments, and I have to confess I haven't always been.

Your car is past the age where there's any benefit to be had from using Audi dealers and paying their inflated prices. In future, stick to a good independent and save your pennies. :)

I was thinking to just use the place who replaced the rack due to the quick turnaround and good service but its the 2.0 engine with the possible oil consumption issue, although I havent seen extreme usage as of yet (Just cursed it now) and I want the FASH, just in case it does happen and then I have a leg to stand on.