Engine light P0171 code help - LTFT 4.688%

kiz17

Reaction score
Hi all

My check engine light came on yesterday, so I plugged my OBD2 reader in and it reported that my system is running too lean and provided the P0171 code.

I’ve done some research online and found that a helpful diagnostic tool for this fault code is to read the “Short Term Fuel Trim (STFT)” and “Long Term Fuel Trim (LTFT)” readings.

I’ve attached a picture to show my readings. As you can see my STFT is 0% but my LTFT is 4.688%. I’ve read that the LTFT is fine if it’s below 5%.

After doing all the necessary procedures to get proper readings (i.e. gain readings while at idle, gain readings at 1500RPM and 2500RPM) neither of my values changed?

At idle, 1500RPM and 2500RPM, my STFT stayed at 0% and my LTFT stayed at 4.688%?

Is anyone on here knowledgable in this kind of thing? As mentioned above, LTFT is supposedly fine if it’s under 5%, so would I be ok just clearing the code to see if it pops back up?

I’m not one for clearing codes because it just makes things worse, but as it’s under 5% am I ok to do so in this situation?

Thank you for reading!
nme005.png

nme005.png