Rear brakes Audi a3

SM18

Audi A3
Reaction score
hi all,

Had mot today, flew through, just needed headlights adjusting slightly.

The mot guy did mention back brakes might need attention in a few months, still getting an excellent brake. But the pads are only getting contact with 3/4 of the disc, leaving the untouched looking a bit corroded. He said it’s a bit common in A3’s. He said which is the problem, that I will require a computer to unwind the piston and rewind piston on, as it electric handbrake.

Is this correct?

Thoughts and tips would be appreciated..

Cheers

Might as well leave the scabby discs till spring. Salt and grit will just make new discs looking the same.
All electronic handbrakes will need computer or obd tool to wind back and if I remember right in vcds there’s some kind of procedure/calibration for new pads so the computer can figure thickness etc.

Yeah was thinking couple of months time, get all of these terible named storms out of the way. Haha. Will see if my obd tool will do that.. cheers

Mate has a cheapy obd tool and that does electronic calipers so most do it now.
They been around long enough so not exclusive dealer tools now.
Only thing to think about when buying discs is the Audi oe discs have painted hubs so doesn’t rust.
A lot of cheap discs aren’t painted and after a few days look like rusty mess even though it doesn’t affect braking it’s not aesthetically pleasing.
I’ve found trw parts are great and comes with all the fittings. Good price as well.