S Line - Which Optional Extras?

Jimbob 2705

Reaction score
Any must have or well recommended options for a S Line 8V? Must likely a Sportback, but possibly a 3dr.

Looking at a pre facelift, 2014/2015. Undecided between the 1.4T or 2.0 TDI yet.

Many Thanks

If you are buying a car of that age I'd say condition and reasonable mileage are far more important.

Folding door mirrors, Comfort package, privacy glass, Bang&Olufsen,Technology Package

Reactions: Jimbob 2705
Options are a personal thing so whatever you fancy. Options are worth a fraction of the original cost so fill your boots if you can find a loaded car. I'd look for the popular option of "comfort pack" which gives you auto lights, cruise control, reversing sensors and a few other bits. For me, life just wouldn't be the same without the B&O sound system

Reactions: JJ_2018 and Jimbob 2705
If you are buying a car of that age I'd say condition and reasonable mileage are far more important.
Oh absolutely, but there are quite a lot for sale so if I find a couple with similar history, condition and mileage I can choose of the options.

Thanks to Jassy and Matt, will keep an eye out for them.

Reactions: KenL and Jassyo06
Not sure how much difference the pfl is to fl but get the important/expensive bits like tech pack and b&o.
Things like parking sensors/cameras and folding mirrors is a lot easier/cheaper to retrofit than the b&o.

I agonised over this when I bought mine - this is all personal presence but... I wouldn’t buy another if didn’t have B&O I love it!! And secondly I wanted one with a flat bottom steering wheel for a more spory feel.

I also have the tech and comfort pack with virtual cockpit and heated seats - although nice to have I only benefit from the cockpit during long journeys (very rare) and although I like the heated seats this time of year I wouldn’t miss them if I had to give them up.

The things I wish I had are folding mirrors! And reversing camera. Wouldn’t mind a sun roof either

Hope this helps.

I've got the 2.0 TDI and it's a lovely engine, very good if you commute a lot, get the petrol if you do less mileage. I'd say the needed options are the upgraded Audi Sound System or the B&O and Tech Pack, that's personal preference really. Parking Pack Plus is handy as it gives you a bit extra protection from lapses in concentration when parking.

Whatever you get I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Reactions: Jimbob 2705 and NevMan
Wicked thanks all, some good suggestions again.

Looking at adverts it's quite tricky to work out what extras the car has, as half the dealers don't list them.

Is there any easy well to tell if a car has the following from pictures?

Comfort Pack
Tech Pack (Am I right in thinking this has a bigger screen and a different centre control knob?)
B&O or Audi Upgraded Speakers
Folding Mirrors
Parking Sensors (I assume I'll be able to see the sensors in the rear bumper? I know the rears are part of the Comfort Pack)

Regarding the whole 1.4T vs 2.0. Car is going be used about 15,000 miles a year and a 40 mile round commute.

I know you used to be able to get the VIN Number off a Reg Check, and then use the VIN to get the optional extras, but I'm struggling to find a registration check which gives me the vin.

Upgraded stereo is always an option I look out for, the latest standard Audi systems are really poor compared to the B&O options.

I would always go for S tonic over manual now, the boxes are brilliant and saves the knees in traffic.

My S3 has cosmetic stuff like privacy glass, super sports seats and virtual cockpit, VC is very expensive for what it is.

Don't know if they were available for that age car, but I def want matrix headlights next time around. And maybe S tronic.

I have folding mirrors (good), heated seats (great in winter - what's not to like about a hot ar*e? ;-)).

Thanks both, good info again then.

Anyone know the situation with Handsfree calling/Bluetooth?

Does it come with the Technology Pack? I've read the brochure but couldn't find a clear answer. I see they do a Phone Compartment/Box which is a separate option, but a little unsure what it does exactly.

Reactions: TYb

I’m not sure on pre facelift but blue tooth comes as standard on Facelift, Tech pack gives you apple car play etc via connecting cable, blue tooth also available for calls and music when not plugged in.

Oh, and don't make a decision influenced by the presence/absence of Audi's SD card based Satnav (unless you're just keen the physical NAV button by the gear lever does something, albeit not very useful in my opinion).

I've found the built-in Satnav excruciatingly slow to set up destinations and then it often takes bizarre routes. Do yourself a favour and use something like Waze or Google Maps on your phone if you want Satnav. I use this for mounting my phone https://www.audiphoneholder.com/

When I choose to have the built-in Satnav active it's just to show where we are overall along a route we may not be taking (!), for passengers' "Are we there yet?" benefit ;-)

Last edited:
Having gone from a Sport model A3 with only a few add-ons to a Q2 with nearly everything, there are somethings that stand out. The biggest of these being the smaller MMI with the Sd card navigation, it is rubbish. In my A3 I paid around 450 pounds to get it activated and I wish I hadn't. Btw, dont forget to look for this as its a biggie and no way around activation. Other things like non halogen lights, interior lighting pack and the Audi upgraded sound system are musts now for me. I used to think the standard system was good but really I didn't know what I was talking about! Auto lights and wipers are must but I guess its standard for S-Line.

It all depends what car your coming from, if its a 2004 Fiesta then a bog standard A3 will blow you away! but as soon as you sit in a better equipped A3 then you will see the differences.

For tech pack the screen will be bigger and the buttons next to the centre dial will be metal. I do similar mileage to that with a round commute of 50 miles, I would personally recommend diesel for that but it depends on your preference.

Perfect, that is a massive help. Obvious to see with the silver/black buttons, so I'll easily be able to identify which is which by photos.

Am I right in thinking the standard MMI has Bluetooth/handsfree as standard?

Reactions: Kayobong
Am I right in thinking the standard MMI has Bluetooth/handsfree as standard?
Ignore this question, found in the brochure it has it as standard.

Doubt the Technology Pack is needed in all honesty, from what I can see it's just a higher quality display with a better satnav.

Ignore this question, found in the brochure it has it as standard.

Doubt the Technology Pack is needed in all honesty, from what I can see it's just a higher quality display with a better satnav.

The dial in the middle is also a touchpad, you can draw out letters for the NAV, it's pretty useful but probably not a necessity.

I REALLY miss the folding mirrors and lumbar support! Rear passengers really miss the folding bench...you would have to pay around £700 for these I believe as factory options!

Wasn't overly fussed about the VC and seemed like a bit of a novelty for the asking price! The B&O system tho.....WOW! If you like your music, this is a must!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…