What auto box is best

Gordon Stewart

Reaction score
Hi folks, don’t know if there are any Audi mechanics on here but I was wondering what the best auto box is on the A3. I was looking at the A3 saloon 1.8tfsi S Line and I see you get 2 different boxes . The 2 wheel drive box is a 7 speed dry clutch and the Quattro is a 6 speed wet clutch( I presume this is the box out the S3). Just wondered what was best for smoothness, reliability , expense if something goes wrong and things.
Your input will be very much appreciated
Many thanks

Facelift s3 has 7 speed presumably a wet one.
No doubt all the facelift Quattro has this

7-speed dry (DQ200) < 6-speed wet (DQ250) < 7-speed wet (DQ381)

I have driven both 7-speed and the only thing they have in common is that they're both DSG. The wet clutch is sooo much smoother than the dry.

Dq250 has greater torque output capacity if your plan is to latter flash your ecu.
Has of course worst fuel economy, based on the fact it has one gear less. And last ratio is not so long as in a 7 gear one.
In other words, dq250 in 1.8t quattro pfl, is the same as the one equipped in S3 PFL = capable of about 300 hp, and 280 Nm.
Wet is a better Technology in terms of Performance, but Not in terms of Service (gearbox oil Exchange each 70k km)
At the end is your call. I have selected 1.8 quattro based on the fact that quattro, is quattro.
End of the story.

Reactions: KevS3-
Dq250 has greater torque output capacity if your plan is to latter flash your ecu.
Has of course worst fuel economy, based on the fact it has one gear less. And last ratio is not so long as in a 7 gear one.
In other words, dq250 in 1.8t quattro pfl, is the same as the one equipped in S3 PFL = capable of about 300 hp, and 280 Nm.
Wet is a better Technology in terms of Performance, but Not in terms of Service (gearbox oil Exchange each 70k km)
At the end is your call. I have selected 1.8 quattro based on the fact that quattro, is quattro.
End of the story.

Hi Martinlop, I take it your an Audi Mech, I have always had manual as I feel your more involved in the car and also if something goes wrong then it’s wsy cheaper. For the life of me I can’t find s manual one , just seems to be auto. Do you get a lot of problems with the auto and can they turn out to be expensive?, which one it the better box for smoothness ?, there is a grey 1.8 tfsi Quattro S Line that I know of at the moment , it’s s 14 plate with 31k on it, one owner . Was thinking about it but don’t know if I would regret getting the auto but I have now been waiting a year for a manual. If you are a mech, do you get a lot of problems coming into the garage with them?, thanks a lot for your help

Hi Martinlop, I take it your an Audi Mech, I have always had manual as I feel your more involved in the car and also if something goes wrong then it’s wsy cheaper. For the life of me I can’t find s manual one , just seems to be auto. Do you get a lot of problems with the auto and can they turn out to be expensive?, which one it the better box for smoothness ?, there is a grey 1.8 tfsi Quattro S Line that I know of at the moment , it’s s 14 plate with 31k on it, one owner . Was thinking about it but don’t know if I would regret getting the auto but I have now been waiting a year for a manual. If you are a mech, do you get a lot of problems coming into the garage with them?, thanks a lot for your help

Hi Gordon, first of all, nope Im not a mech, just an Audi enthusiast (as many of us around here).
Manual is sportier but DSG in Sport mode can also be very responsive. Even though, you can re flash it (e.g. APR has a nice SW for the Box ECU).
In terms of problems, my opinion is that new generation of DSG boxes are pretty damn good, otherwise, Audi wouldn't have selected them for its Sport Version of the A3 (S3), dont ya think?
In my humble opinion, sport mode presents enough adrenaline when you want to smile...

Thanks, so the box on a 2014 1.8tfsi S Line Quattro is the same as the S3 box? And you can select sport in it?. I have seen a 14 plate , one owner with 31k on it with full history , a distance away so haven’t actually seen it in the flesh but it’s from a VW/audi garage

Thanks, so the box on a 2014 1.8tfsi S Line Quattro is the same as the S3 box? And you can select sport in it?
Yes, and yes. (DQ250 6 gears wet, and Audi drive select or, manual set the box into the “S” mode)