REAR tyres - primacy 4 or crossclimate/allseasoncontact?

kalniel

Reaction score
Hullo all,

I know, tyres tyres tyres.. but I have a specific question: I need to replace my rear tyres (done about 50k on the OEM contisport 5), so I have a slightly different set of criteria to all-round grip. I have PS4 on the front, which are fab, but for the rears I'm looking for:

-low rolling resistance
-excellent aquaplaning resistance
-good NVH
-not as good dry grip as the PS4 ;)

Easy choice would be the michelin primacy 4, which would likely last the life of the vehicle given the slow rate the rears wear. But given winter is coming.. I was also considering an all-season like crossclimate+ or conti's allseasoncontact, so that at least the rear will stay planted on snow.

What I'm struggling to find out is the relative rolling resistance between the three - tests on tyrereviews seem to be all over the place, despite the EU ratings, suggesting that performance varies quite a bit with tyre size. I'm on standard s-line 225/40/R18 92Y.

Thoughts and any other suggestions welcome.

Generally it’s not a good idea to mix and match tyres. Also it’s no good if the rear has grip when the front doesn’t in the snow. You will have no directional control and be outright dangerous.
If it’s summer tyre on the front you should put summers on the back.

Having all-seasons on the back is better than having all four or just fronts on all-seasons on snow - you're not taking any grip away from the front, there's no additional feedback so you won't be fooled into thinking you have more grip. Just if and when you do unexpectedly lose traction it'll be at the front which is far far safer than the rear.

Mixing tyres can create unpredictable handling characteristics.
When you hit the brakes front will lock up and back won’t so you lose front traction and steering.
If they were all summer all 4 tyres will behave in exactly the same way which will make it easier to control as what you expect from the front would be the same as the back.
I can’t see much or any benefit having winters or all season in the back over just having the same summers as the fronts. My aim is always to maximise grip all round not have difference between front and back. If I chuck the front end into a corner at 50mph I like to think the rear will take it and react in the same manner and not react completely differently.
If your purpose is to slide the back end out and do hand brake turns with less grippier tyres then by all means knock yourself out or just get a rear wheel drive.