My s3 v6 build

With regards to the little filter I’ve found 3 now online and all have a broken mesh so must be a common issue, I’ve been told on the r32oc that people just remove the mesh as the oil should be clean anyway( no lumps of crap getting into the vvt assembly ) so might just cut the mesh out and use it

Attachments

• F03F4407-2FF0-48F1-A91C-6E8207759BB0.jpeg
    F03F4407-2FF0-48F1-A91C-6E8207759BB0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 187
One complete cylinder head!:yahoo: Just got to wait for the block and crank to come back which will probably be end of the month

2794B68E 41D5 4C2D 8A13 99012CA74995

66592A24 BC5F 49B5 BC66 96F6D2873AC5

Reactions: hydro s3 and danny_dj3
Ordered some silver project rear arms, and I’m on the look out for some tyres thinking Michelin pilot sports and try and get the 19” mtm alloys and the 18z brake calipers fitted to try and keep it moving although ideally I’d leave that to last but been waiting since 1st week in January for the crankshaft balancing and it’s still not been done they are apparently waiting on the correct bob weights so will be another 2-3 week’s

That's a bummer on the crank balancing nothing worse than waiting on parts.

the worse thing is that there’s the place round the corner who skimmed the head (got it back same day) and they would of had it done within the week but didn’t think of them until after I dropped it off with the other company and mentioned to my mate I needed the head skimming
I might get the engine out of the s3 but didn’t really want to do that till the 3.2 was ready to drop in but I’m getting impatient now

Have you considered a set of Yokohama AD08RS tyres?

I’ve just bought a set from Camskill. Really good price, having them fitted on my Rota Force wheels.

The silver project control arms are a good price! Just checked them out. I’m gonna give Paul’s a go I think at CBAuto.

Sucks having to wait for the Crank, soon as you get that back is it hopefully going to be plain sailing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah get that back get it back together rip the old lump out and the ee one in which would be done by now if I wasn’t waiting to long my next major head ache will be the wiring

When removing the engine will the wheels have to come off for access for anything? Don’t want to fit the new ones if they are going to be on and off

Knowing I was having a rare weekend off and the crank still not back I was hoping to fit the new wheels and brakes and adjustable rear tie arms just to get some room freed up in the lock up
So I ordered
334mm r32 front discs
18z brake pads
Rear discs
Rear pads
Rear caliper seal kit(already had one )
Caliper paint
4 x 235 35 19 Michelin PS4’s
Would you believe none of it turned up for the weekend

Always the way.... I’m hoping for a quiet weekend next weekend to fit a load of parts I’ve built up.

Crank shouldn’t take much longer now should it?

Front 18z vs standard rear I think I might look into a rear Caliper upgrade for something bigger just so it don’t look silly, will a bigger rear Caliper effect pedal feel even more
DF00E0A8 CABE 4CF0 B11C C93B7360BB79

That’s a big difference Paul cookbot has a nice upgrade for the rears, bigger S4 floating discs with adaptors. Dunno what would be a good option if you wanted to change calipers though

Yeah I have seen them and was considering that as it wouldn’t change the pedal travel and the bigger disc would fill the gap behind the bigger alloys, I was just looking for in the future as I’ve just bought new rear discs and pads and Caliper seals

Whoa those pads look huge! What's the spec on the 18z's?

Front Brakepad Size 190.1 x 106.3 x 16.8mm if that’s what you mean The calipers are massive

Need to speak to your planning officer. Likely answer though is yes he can build it. While it may spoil your view, you dont have a right to a view, nor do you have a right for anything to look pretty.
???

Reactions: Bryant1998
It’s not April 1st yet is it?! Haha.... this is clearly not meant to be here

well since I’m here on Sunday went to do all the brakes disc and then fit the new wheels but the jack would not go high enough to get on the car on the jack stands so new high lift Jack ordered Will try again

Decided to go for a different turbo sow I’ll have a refurbished Garrett gt3582r for sale if anyone interested

Which turbo you going to go for mate? G30-770?

Yeah I think so and a tubular manifold want to ditch the cast one, might aswell do it now because of all this corona crap we have had to rearrange the Florida holiday to next year luckily virgin just changed the date no problem but have to find a different villa the one we usually stay in doesn’t have any 3 week windows for next year

That’s a good shout, yeah I’ve had to ditch all holiday plans this year too. It’s gonna be a long tedious year. I hope they pull there fingers out and get it all squared away.

It’s gonna be a long tedious year.

On top of that,my GF is now working from home until further notice :blink: and with no races on the horizon,that could be all year!...one plus is @Tj 0785 will finally get that monster done...no distractions.

Reactions: S3AMJ
I’m sure there will be a few distractions gutted really was hoping to order a few bits from hpa and save on the import tax

Front Brakepad Size 190.1 x 106.3 x 16.8mm if that’s what you mean The calipers are massive
Had a quick look into those calipers and they certainly are big........350mm discs from the s4 can be used with adaptors & i think there was a option for 370mm 2 piece discs should you need to fill the wheels even more

Not seen s4 mentioned being used I know they can in the rear with adapter and standard rear Caliper I see the b7 thread people are using the merc ml disc and 17z pads

Did a search on one of the s3 fb groups to see what the 18z's were like & a fair few ppl using the adaptors to run the s4 discs........those calipers really do fill the wheels, makes the lcr 4 pots look small lol.

Some saying you get longer pedal travel due to the piston size, extra unsprung weight not ideal etc etc but then you get others that love the calipers & how they perform. Like anything it's down to personal preference not one thing suites everyone, I'd imagine you'll need all the stopping power you can get though with what you have planned

Yeah have read about the longer pedal travel is a downsize but in the upside it’s been that long since I drove it I wouldn’t know the difference ha

So got home no kids misses at work
So spent an hour on the car remove the old rusted disc had to drill out a grub screw so will have to sort that test fitted the new front Caliper , will sand blast the old calipers and carriers see if they were worth using all the dust cover are rusted away so will order some new rears £10 each from tps but the fronts £40+ vat each but I’m not sure if I should use the mk4 r32 ones as I’m using the r32 disc which are Bigger?
ED7D2925 9FC2 4B0A BB44 ABAB79C1B3BC
178D1525 DF0A 4077 87E2 18E3CC98720F
582CF4F0 4542 4FF1 A3A2 051A6573E186
A06AB52D 893F 4498 8BF1 20EE3B416A2B

Reactions: hydro s3
Engine removal question does the subframe need to be removed to be able to get the engine and gearbox out ?

Decided to send the rear calipers and carriers off for refurb and powder coating , when stripping the front end the 2 smic pipe work is fastens to the frame is this structural n have to say or can this be removed ?
46C11A93 3F1E 4B84 B03D 3AF714D5425D
B8AAFF50 68AD 44BD B00A CC34703CD090
23A2337D 31BE 4430 992C DF8350A2432B
36B37236 8E56 4126 BCEB 36AC8A4F977B

E2096BA2 031F 443B 8EFA B2AF749F0C93

a little to close for comfort wheel spins clearance is literally 1-2mm
Will I need longer bolts with 5mm spacers?

That’s definitely to close for comfort mate. I would get longer bolts personally. Standard bolts are 27mm (thread) from memory. I’ve got 40mm (thread) with a 10mm spacer.

Think il get 3m Spacers they are already flush with the wheel arch don’t want them sticking out

I’m all honesty, once you’ve got the clearance you need even if it’s just enough. That won’t change. I’ve actually had to change my rear 20mm spacers for 10mm spacers, just had a little too much poke with my new wheels and tyres. If I went hard around a corner the arches would just kiss the tyres enough to scuff.

The fronts I’ve got about 3-4mm clearance from the suspension strut on 10mm spacers, so cant do anything about those. Just need to get my geometry done again with more camber on the fronts and that’ll tuck my tyres inside the arch’s.

Bad news the wheels don’t clear the calipe it catches at 1 point so a 3m spacer should still be enough but will have to touch up the paint on tha Caliper , just need to undo the prop shaft and cut the down pipe and it’s ready to pull out

also note for next time label the electrical connector up haven’t got a clue where they all go

Last edited: