Sloppy Handling

mordz

Audi S3 (2000)
Reaction score
Ok so i had my S3 for a few months,

It really needs looking at due to the un nerving nocking and banging from the front drivers side wheele but thats somthing else.

The car i had before was a hyundia coupe (pacific rim ****) so shifting to the S3 was a huge improvement on handling, however now im used to it it feels sloppy (hard to describe) i remember driving my ST170 and i could chuck it into corners and feel pinned to my seat and the car felt glued to the road and very solid.

With the S3 i dont have that confidence, i feel like its not glued, im not pinned to the seat, suspension doesnt feel firm.. seems to be a fair but of roll.

is this normal or is there something wrong

Other than it having some gay fullrun tyers on i cant point my finger at anything else. (the seller put it through the MOT before i collected it, needed all new tyers so hes put the cheapest on i guess)

ta dudes:rockwoot:

Depends what you mean by sloppy i suppose, they do lean a bit and understeer but there is alot of grip on offer, something like your arb links being knackered would cause it to be a bit boat like, id maybe get that looked at first.

Not driven a focus ST170 but have driven an RS and it was alot sharper feeling through the bends, so i know what you mean - but it shouldnt be all that bad.

Super thanks guys,

Hard to describe, but yes the ford did feel 'sharper' - i feel like im going to end up on the passangers lap. one time i did take a 30 degree bend at around 40mph and the back end steped out. was a dry day, i was supprised as this bend is on my way home and the hyundia / ford took it fine, this could probs just be the pretend tyers though.

DPM - What sort of costs for them upgrades?

I'm getting a similar knocking noise, took it to a mates garage last night... it turned out to be the bushes on the ARB. Its safe to drive if it helps un-nerve you! but does need fixing.

Bash_A3 said:
Its safe to drive if it helps un-nerve you! but does need fixing.

HEHE some what, though would that affect the handling? and what sort of costs am i looking to get the nocking fixed?:sadlike:

DPM said:
H&R Anti Roll Bars
Bilstein B8 Dampers
H&R Springs
Forge Tie Bars

After that it'll be like a different car!

Hopefully being a new S3 owner (tomorrow), how much would that little lot cost and where best to go?

DPM said:
H&R Anti Roll Bars
Bilstein B8 Dampers
H&R Springs
Forge Tie Bars

After that it'll be like a different car!

What is this setup like? I have the H&R ARBS at the moment and would like to change to a similar or the same setup. Is the suspension hard?

everyone seems to be having that knocking noise with the ARB bushes... i think for the cost its got to be the first thing I try. The shocks are the next on the list after that.

Mines the same sort of it sounds like an old sqeeky bed, changed ant roll bar bushes but still does it

pain in the A...