boost pipe removal help

RichS

Reaction score
. i have recently bought a 2004 a3 2.0 tdi.

Im finding it hard to remove my throttle body boost pipe to replace.

i managed to get the top part off easy but really cant see how to get the bottom part off

im no mehanic but would like to give most things a go myself first.

any help would be cool

rich
20180817 161800

That pipe is a bit of a sod to remove and replace if you don’t want to take the engine under-tray off and do a bit of dismantling , (when the bottom connection is MUCH easier to get at) ....but is do-able with a bit of patience.
I found using a large screwdriver and a torch helped, using the screwdriver to prise the big C-clip open enough to then grab the pipe as near the base as you can.
Give it a good yank and it should then come out.
When replacing the pipe I find it always better to put the bottom end in first and then do the top.....
You really need to ensure the pipe is seated fully home at both ends when you replace it or it will pop apart when under boost, I speak from experience here!
It’s often hard to tell if these boost pipes are seated home.
I find the best way is to put the C clip fully home on the fixed pipe and then push the boost pipe into this, until you hear and feel the pair click together , I can’t stress this enough .
If you think the pipes have clicked together then give the whole thing a damned good waggle , and if nothing comes apart then it’s seated fully home....
I always double check these pipes these days.

thankyou very much for your reply. i wasent sure if it was held with a jubilee clip as well.

i only have a standard jack, but was going to give it a go this afternoon.

I will try again from the top

No jubilee clips, just the big spring-steel C clips at both ends.
Like I said, that pipe is much easier to install with the engine under tray off and the car on axle stands, but is totally do-able without doing that, you just need patience and a bit of dexterity.
Good luck.

Reactions: Sandra
all done.. i spent 2 hours trying yesterday and within 10 minutes today i had the pipe off... thankyou

Reactions: Sandra
Probably time to invest in a good trolley jack and axle stands, an older car is going to need a good deal of maintainance work in the future.

Reactions: RichS