Thermostat housing

RichMk3

Reaction score
Has anybody else had issues with aftermarket thermostat houses leaking?

When I had the engine out I changed mine, and one of the pipes started leaking (the one with the rubber o ring) so I took it off and changed it for another new one, but now that's leaking from where it fits into the block! :gun2:

2.0t FSI BUL engine by the way...

Ha! I just went through this for about 2 weeks. Spent a lot of money on coolant. The O-ring needs to be changed on the heater pipe and I had to get a new thermostat because I couldn't get it to seal where the engine connected to the block just like you're running into. Hope you get it fixed.

Reactions: RichMk3
Yeah, I'm upto 10L of coolant now. I nipped the bolts up a bit tighter last night, now far tighter than I think they should be on a plastic housing, but appears to have virtually stopped.

Gonna get it off again the weekend and see if I can get it to seal.

Most annoying when you have to take quite a lot of 'bits' off just to GET to the thermostat housing. A poor design if you ask me....
When you fitted it, did you give the O ring a smear of oil & carefully clean the mating face on the block? This helps it to 'squirm' into place better and hopefully seal properly.

I did give them both a good clean, especially the first one as the engine was out in the garage. I'm suspecting iffy quality aftermarket parts to be fair. Suppose some things are worth paying a premium for a genuine Audi part.