Private Number Plate , and selling the car!

luke1980

Reaction score
Hi guys , I am after some advice.

I am after some advice. I have a BMW 1 Series which has a Private Plate. I have purchased a new car from Audi which will be ready in a couple of weeks. I am currently part X'ig the car but i want to see if can sell it for more privately.

The question is , how is it possible to sell my car privately and not give the owners my private plate so i have it in preparation for when my new car is available ? I read you can put the plate on on retention but that cost £80.00 , and i assume would then have to pay more to put it on the new car.

There must be an easier way which i am missing.

Thanks

Thanks but wouldn’t I then have to pay another £80 to transfer it to the Audi when it’s ready

And will the original number plates from the BMW go back onto it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No - its free to assign to a vehicle once you have the certificate.

Yes.

To add to Luke's post , there is a new box on the green slip for you private plate NOMINEE, if the car is brand new take the green slip for the plate to the dealers, you and them fill it in and the plate is put on the car before you drive it away

You can do it all on line these days. Retain your plate, pay the £80, put the old plates back on the car, tell your insurance company.

Receive new V5 doc in about a week and numberplate retention doc a little quicker. Give the retention doc to the dealer and get them to put the plate on the car for you. Drive it away with the plates on it.

Reactions: WesT-gefül and luke1980