A3 Facelift conversion - wiring question

Erikn89nl

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm looking to do a facelift + wideband conversion on my A3. I already have a wideband ECU + associated engine loom.

To make my life easier, I was contemplating buying a cheap facelift A3, and transferring over the dash side of things: cluster, AC controls, wiring, etc...

Question is: are the dash components on an N/A 1.6 A3 the same as on the 1.8t A3 or K04 cars?

you only need to change the clocks when doing a facelift conversion (since you're only changing the engine loom ? even if you want a working esp (if youre gonna go that route buy also swapping out the abs pump, clockspring etc, you get pre facelift esp buttons for the pfl centre console. no need to change the ac controls

since you're only changing the engine loom ?
The engine loom isn't the only difference between the FL and PFL cluster. The pinouts of all 3 connectors on the clusters are drastically different, and from the pinout descriptions, so is the electrical system on the dashboard side.

Question is, does the dash electrical system of a 'facelift A3 1.6 N/A' match that of an 'FL A3 1.8t' (or FL K04-based car)?

Last edited:
The engine loom isn't the only difference between the FL and PFL cluster. The pinouts of all 3 connectors on the clusters are drastically different, and from the pinout descriptions, so is the electrical system on the dashboard side.

Question is, does the dash electrical system of a 'facelift A3 1.6 N/A' match that of an 'FL A3 1.8t' (or FL K04-based car)?

the 1.6 models were never sold in SA so im not 100% sure in my answer.

But.... I personally think the electrical system is different, since the 1.6 models run siemens ecu's and not bosch motronic based ones, the 1.6's were all cable based (afaik) so the loom will probably lack wiring for the electronic (aum,bam,amk) throttle, they also only came (to my knowledge) with half dis clusters (unless a crazy nutter went and selected every single option that was available to the 1.6's) so the wiring looms will definately lack wiring for the multifuntion stalk switch, and since its a more basic engine it probably lacks wiring for a few sensors that the 1.8 varieties have for example an oil level sensor or the brake pad wear sensor etc.

I think you're better off just getting a loom from a 1.8t

I have read that to do an s3 facelift console conversion that you can use the facelift b5 s4 hvac controls and it plugs in to the pfl s3 wiring but you need a facelift a3/s3 faceplate