2000W 1.8TQS Remap/Tuning

John@ECM-TECH

Owner
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've just bought a A4 1.8tqs completely std with 62k on the clock.

It's a bit flat compared to the old VR6 I traded in so I thinking about a remap/chip.

I have spoke to several tuners and they have been very helpful but most of them are consusing me in that some say it can be done via the OBII port and some say nope we need to solder - which i'm trying to avoid.

Now Simon from CCCTech has been very helpful and I going to try and get my ECU number for him to double check as he thinks its a solder jobby.

Does anyone know for definite or has their 2000 TQS done?

Im only looking to pay £300 max

Thanks guys

JP

ed to spend £400-£500 really to get a proper remap.

I've read good feedback from Upsolute and ChippeD_UK so I'm happy with the money but just need to find out if mine can be flashed via obII rather not have a chip soldered in.

The engine number is AJL and it's 180BHP btw

the best price for mine ive had up to now is £295 for a live remap, so im guessing that would be done thru the obII!

yeah it sounds like it would have to be, keep getting told diffrent things its all confusing!!

The 180bhp TQS is a solder job only, the 44 pin chip that’s in the ECU is a 1 time only writable chip, so a new chip will have to be mapped and re-soldered in.

I take it that thats how you had to have yours done (big presumption)

Would be interested in this too.

Spoke to Jim at Star Performance a couple of weeks ago regarding my '99 Qts and he said there was a possibility they can't replace the chip in these cars any more (took this to mean issues with getting the mapped chips from GAIC in the US).

I need to get my ECU number for him to check to ultimately confirm.

N

Yeah I need to get my ECU too had a quick look today its under the slam panel, drivers side right next to the window.

Could not see how to get underneather the panel at a glance but then again I was in a rush.

A friend of mine owns http://www.rstuning.co.uk/, we soldered a chip carrier onto the ECU so you can take the chip out and put the original back if you wanted.

This is the chip thats in the ecu:
42268245.jpg

way down in Leeds that but looks spotr on.

I'm up in Berwick (60 miles North of Newcastle) Been in touch with a few peeps that are willing to travel up to me.

What would you reccomend dong as well as a chip as a matter of course? DV?

Well got it done Upsolute Chip by Simon Coe @ CCTech

What a difference, the boost comes in stronger than ever surging along way better than before, seems a lot more torquey and responsive as well.

expect a few problems then
i wouldnt toutch upsalute with a very very big barge pole... :sorry:
not unless they have been and got any new files in the last year...

OH DEAR:bye:

Now I am confused too....are you saying a 2000 model 1.8tqs cannot be remapped through the OBD port, and it has to have a soldered chip. If this is true i would like to know how AMD managed to remap my car as there was no mention of a new chip being soldered in

I think it depends if you have dbw or not, mine doesnt it has a throttle cable!

They must have had the ECU out then, maybe they did't mention it, did they specifically say they used the OBII port?

When I had mine chipped the old ECU was taken apart and the eeprom with the original file was desoldered, read on a laptop and ajusted/burned to a new eeprom and then resoldered. Looking at it afterwards I could not tell that it had been done, it's not like a piggy back chip like I had first envisaged.

Simon who done mine does the OBII remapping too but he said that mine could not be done that way and confirmed it with my ECU number.

Also when I phoned a nearby Revo dealer they said that if they couldnt use OBII they would just take the ECU out and do it that way. This was only after I asked how it would be done because they originally said, "yes it can no probs"

Turns out the eeprom in mine wasn't a re-writable one - hence the desolder job.

well thats an eye opener. i was never told anything about removing the ecu or any of its components. All they said was it would be remapped via the giagnostic port. Oh well, no worries, am still pleased with the performance..

The only people who have said they could not do it through the OBD was Revo when i enquired about their trial software. They said they could looad the full programme, but not flash load the trial package

aye well i'm not an expert by any means had me confused for ages. It's turned my car from mediocre to great, well worth the £