Next model A3

From someone who has owned both, the GTI will be more fun, but the S3 is the far better car.

And therein lies the problem. ***.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The thing is I’m not sure I need 300ps and high running costs so the GTI looks the better bet there, plus it’s loaded with kit and a base S3 is a bit basic in 2019, to be fair. So then I look at Black Edition A3s (2.0) but that’s not back in production yet. And then I’m back to dull/mundane but quality (A3) vs fun but ‘not an Audi’ GTI. Gah.

Reactions: NevMan
And therein lies the problem. ***.

Take a GTI out for a test drive. The issues I have with the GTI are:-
  • Fake engine noise when in Dynamic. It sounds truly awful.
  • Steering weight in Dynamic is far too heavy and brings no more feel. Kept mine in comfort
  • Collision avoidance system. Truly awful and in my mind, dangerous. Would just slam the brakes on when going round a round-about. It can't be turned off either.
  • Traction when going from AWD to FWD, especially in weather like now. You don't realise just how good AWD drive is for everyday driving until you don't have it.
  • Engine does seam to run out of puff sooner than the S3 engine. S3 engine is soo much better
  • Avoid the Leather option, as it's over £1700, and the Tartan looks better anyway
  • Colour Options (at the time I had mine) were limited to some very dull and boring colours.
  • A cruise control system that is far to complicated to set-up. Unlike the S3 which is a simple stalk, the GTI is buttons and setting for how close you want to be to the car in front etc. Annoying
Not all bad though
  • Seats are better than the S3 SS seats.
  • The chassis is set up to be far more fun, and the whole car is more chuckable. You can drive it in a way the S3 can't.
  • Dyn-audio is a must. Good system.
  • The GTI on Passive suspension is very well set up. Don't think you need mag ride on the GTI.

Both good cars, but neither great cars. The GTI is the more fun car, but the S3 being the better car. The GTI is more annoying due to reasons above. If they got rid of those annoying items, it would be a far better car.

Reactions: NevMan and Snake Pliskin
Thanks this helps massively, taking your points in turn:

Take the GTI for a test drive - I have, I love it.

This doesn't bother me, sounds ok to me and I'd drive in standard mode most of the time anyway.
  • Steering weight in Dynamic is far too heavy and brings no more feel. Kept mine in comfort
Yes but this is the same for the A/S3, except that you get added vagueness with the Audi.
  • Collision avoidance system. Truly awful and in my mind, dangerous. Would just slam the brakes on when going round a round-about. It can't be turned off either.
Yep, I had heard about this but sure I could adapt my driving style.
  • Traction when going from AWD to FWD, especially in weather like now. You don't realise just how good AWD drive is for everyday driving until you don't have it.
Have never had it, so won't miss it. Won't miss the expense of buying four new tyres on a regular basis either.
  • Engine does seam to run out of puff sooner than the S3 engine. S3 engine is soo much better
Possibly, but how fast does it need to be? The speed limit is 70 and around where I live with only one dual carriageway, I spend most of my time on single track A and B roads, usually behind a horse box.
  • Avoid the Leather option, as it's over £1700, and the Tartan looks better anyway
I don't like leather anyway (too hot and sticky in summer and too cold in winter) and certainly wouldn't pay extra for it.
  • Colour Options (at the time I had mine) were limited to some very dull and boring colours.
No problems here, love Isaac Blue, Indium Grey and the solid white.
  • A cruise control system that is far to complicated to set-up. Unlike the S3 which is a simple stalk, the GTI is buttons and setting for how close you want to be to the car in front etc. Annoying
Never use cruise. Other drivers always cutting in forcing me to brake which deactivates it makes it more of an annoyance. And as per above, no DC's around here anyway!

Re your plus points:

Yes I agree, always found Golf seats far more comfortable. Audi seats always give me a bad back and the optional lumbar is next to useless. It just feels like someone has stuck a tennis ball (or football, depending on setting) behind your back.
  • The chassis is set up to be far more fun, and the whole car is more chuckable. You can drive it in a way the S3 can't.
That's what I want for my B road blasts.
Already ticked the option!
  • The GTI on Passive suspension is very well set up. Don't think you need mag ride on the GTI.
Good, can't afford any more options anyway! Also not spec-ing DCC. Only options I ticked were metallic paint, Brescia alloys (but only because I dislike the Parkers) and Dynaudio.

Hope the exterior doesn't look like the current A1 or Q3, as both look awful.

Hope the interior doesn't look like the new A1, as that looks awful too.

that is my concern to be fair. I'm planning on the next platform S3 to be to my likely next car, but based on what we have seen so far and the interior and exterior styling of the latest Audi cars they are not to my taste either ... that is possible where a VW Golf may fair better next time round be it a GTi or R.

that is my concern to be fair. I'm planning on the next platform S3 to be to my likely next car, but based on what we have seen so far and the interior and exterior styling of the latest Audi cars they are not to my taste either ... that is possible where a VW Golf may fair better next time round be it a GTi or R.

Ironically, I much prefer the new style interiors over the current A/S3. What is likely to put me off a new A/S3 will be the massive hike in prices if the A1 is anything to go by.

Reactions: KenL
Yep lol!

Reactions: KenL, Jassyo06 and NevMan
I think part of the problem now though is .... there isn't a lot to discuss !
The new platform car won't be out for a fair while yet - way into later this year just for the A3 and the S3 will be well into next year.
We've discussed the current platform to death so until firm details are relased on the new one .......... its Grounhod Day lol

Reactions: Jassyo06 and NevMan
Yeah but... it’s my thread so lol

My problem is my current pcp ends in September so I need to start thinking about my next car now. I’m not going to wait for what may and may not come out in October or 2020, that’s all far too late for me.

So it’s one of

A3 Black Edition 2.0 (once it’s passed WLTP)
S3
GTI
Wildcard - Leon Cupra 290

Leaning towards the GTI for all the above reasons but a little part of me dies inside at the thought of moving away from Audi. Not sure if there’s any substance there or whether I’m just a sucker for marketing. I also own an iPhone.

Yeah but... it’s my thread so lol

My problem is my current pcp ends in September so I need to start thinking about my next car now. I’m not going to wait for what may and may not come out in October or 2020, that’s all far too late for me.

So it’s one of

A3 Black Edition 2.0 (once it’s passed WLTP)
S3
GTI
Wildcard - Leon Cupra 290

Leaning towards the GTI for all the above reasons but a little part of me dies inside at the thought of moving away from Audi. Not sure if there’s any substance there or whether I’m just a sucker for marketing. I also own an iPhone.

Golf GTI performance pack would be my choice.
You should be able to get one with a cracking discount / they look ace (especially with 19" rims) / they are fast enough to be fun.
Road tax / cost to run / insure / service will all be much more cost effective too.

Reactions: KenL and NevMan
I’ve been quoted £3k down plus 48 x £348

With metallic paint, Brescia 19s and Dynaudio. Standard kit is equivalent to about 4 or 5k of options on the Audi.

Reactions: Jassyo06, Snake Pliskin and NevMan
I think part of the problem now though is .... there isn't a lot to discuss !
The new platform car won't be out for a fair while yet - way into later this year just for the A3 and the S3 will be well into next year.
We've discussed the current platform to death so until firm details are relased on the new one .......... its Grounhod Day lol
What about the RS3 Snake?!

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Take a GTI out for a test drive. The issues I have with the GTI are:-
Not all bad though

Both good cars, but neither great cars. The GTI is the more fun car, but the S3 being the better car. The GTI is more annoying due to reasons above. If they got rid of those annoying items, it would be a far better car.

Wow, top write up there. I would go S3 if it were me

Reactions: unitzero and Snake Pliskin

With metallic paint, Brescia 19s and Dynaudio. Standard kit is equivalent to about 4 or 5k of options on the Audi.

is that lease or a balloon at the end ?

What about the RS3 Snake?!

TX.

I won't be able to wait out for the next gen RS3 - if the A3 is this year / S3 next year / RS3 will likely be 2021 !
Plus I suspect it will be mega bucks ... the S3 will be bad enough I expect price wise.
My RS3 feels a bit of a bargain now looking back.

Reactions: Terminator x and NevMan
is that lease or a balloon at the end ?

PCP with 12k to pay at the end. But I don’t care about that because I’ll start another lease or PCP, I’ll never pay the balloon payment. The TCO is £19,710 over the 48 months or less if there’s any equity left at the end so I can sell privately and make a small profit - as I intend to do with the A3.

PCP with 12k to pay at the end. But I don’t care about that because I’ll start another lease or PCP, I’ll never pay the balloon payment. The TCO is £19,710 over the 48 months or less if there’s any equity left at the end so I can sell privately and make a small profit - as I intend to do with the A3.

That's pretty good then.
You could get a flat white one (same as ibis white on the audi's) and use some of that £ to get a pano sunroof ?
Golf GTi does look very nice in white ... or are you not a fan on white or preferring metallic ?

I won't be able to wait out for the next gen RS3 - if the A3 is this year / S3 next year / RS3 will likely be 2021 !
Plus I suspect it will be mega bucks ... the S3 will be bad enough I expect price wise.
RS4 will be 3 by then so I could get back in one ;)

TX.

It's the way thing are now. The next S3 will start at £40k+ and now doubt be hampered by having to buy packs rather the individual items you want.

This then pushes the next RS3 into £50k+ starting price. It's ridiculous.

I think the RRP is just there to extract extra monthly payments off people. They know most people can't stump up £50k for a car. But are willing to stump up £x amount each month to get into S/RS cars. Raise the RRP, raise the monthlies. People living on Debt, but it keeps them hooked, as in 2-3 years time the dealer has another `Great deal` for just another £50 a month.

RS4 will be 3 by then so I could get back in one ;)

TX.

at least you have made the (financial) leap to the RS4 too, so stepping back into a 3 should be fairly cost effective.

It's the way thing are now. The next S3 will start at £40k+ and now doubt be hampered by having to buy packs rather the individual items you want.

This then pushes the next RS3 into £50k+ starting price. It's ridiculous.

I think the RRP is just there to extract extra monthly payments off people. They know most people can't stump up £50k for a car. But are willing to stump up £x amount each month to get into S/RS cars. Raise the RRP, raise the monthlies. People living on Debt, but it keeps them hooked, as in 2-3 years time the dealer has another `Great deal` for just another £50 a month.

Yes car prices are very high now. I (like most of us no doubt) have been gradually spending more & more on cars for the last decade or so to the point where I am finally feeling uncomfortable spending any more and may even consider spending less next time (hence a Golf GTi / R may be considered).
As much as I love the special-ness / power /sound of my RS3, I do feel that I won't be able to justify another as it will be a £50k base price next time round. Luckily its the first car (ever) which I will keep (and be happy to keep) longer than 3 years so that is one factor which is paying back on this occasion as I will build up more equity in the car keeping it an extra year to normal.

Reactions: NevMan and Muttley75
Yes car prices are very high now. I (like most of us no doubt) have been gradually spending more & more on cars for the last decade or so to the point where I am finally feeling uncomfortable spending any more and may even consider spending less next time (hence a Golf GTi / R may be considered).
As much as I love the special-ness / power /sound of my RS3, I do feel that I won't be able to justify another as it will be a £50k base price next time round. Luckily its the first car (ever) which I will keep (and be happy to keep) longer than 3 years so that is one factor which is paying back on this occasion as I will build up more equity in the car keeping it an extra year to normal.

That's why I still have my S3, coming up to 4 years old this coming March. I can afford to buy new and upgrade to something shinier, and faster, but feel very uncomfortable paying out that sort of money. Years ago I spent a fortune on cars just to have something newer and faster every 2 years.

Guess as you get older, things get put into perspective more, and convincing yourself that you `need` a new car is not quite so easy. But to me, car's are becoming not only stupidly more expensive, but they're also becoming less fun overall. Faster, gripper, more comfortable, yes. But just as fun as cars gone? No.

I'll either buy a new Fiesta ST (or RS please Ford) in 2020, or just keep hold of the S3 until something I really want comes along. Absolutely nothing (apart from the Fiesta) floats my boat at the minute. Biggest problem I have is the S3 is just so damn good. Right size for what I need. Right power for what I need. Right comfort level, styling, etc

That's why I still have my S3, coming up to 4 years old this coming March. I can afford to buy new and upgrade to something shinier, and faster, but feel very uncomfortable paying out that sort of money. Years ago I spent a fortune on cars just to have something newer and faster every 2 years.

Guess as you get older, things get put into perspective more, and convincing yourself that you `need` a new car is not quite so easy. But to me, car's are becoming not only stupidly more expensive, but they're also becoming less fun overall. Faster, gripper, more comfortable, yes. But just as fun as cars gone? No.

I'll either buy a new Fiesta ST (or RS please Ford) in 2020, or just keep hold of the S3 until something I really want comes along. Absolutely nothing (apart from the Fiesta) floats my boat at the minute. Biggest problem I have is the S3 is just so damn good. Right size for what I need. Right power for what I need. Right comfort level, styling, etc

Totally agree with all of that & exact same mind set as me.

Tbh I think I would feel the same with the S3 too as that & the RS3 are both equally superb cars :icon thumright: (perfect size for me too).

Reactions: NevMan and wab172uk
That's pretty good then.
You could get a flat white one (same as ibis white on the audi's) and use some of that £ to get a pano sunroof ?
Golf GTi does look very nice in white ... or are you not a fan on white or preferring metallic ?

I do like the white, yeah. That would save £580. I wouldn’t have the sunroof though. The Golf comes with so much as standard I’d probably make a saving on the monthly instead. However... I am quite keen on both Isaac Blue and Indium Grey. VW solid white does chip quite easily too.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and NevMan
Thanks this helps massively, taking your points in turn:

Take the GTI for a test drive - I have, I love it.

This doesn't bother me, sounds ok to me and I'd drive in standard mode most of the time anyway.
Yes but this is the same for the A/S3, except that you get added vagueness with the Audi.
Yep, I had heard about this but sure I could adapt my driving style.
Have never had it, so won't miss it. Won't miss the expense of buying four new tyres on a regular basis either.
Possibly, but how fast does it need to be? The speed limit is 70 and around where I live with only one dual carriageway, I spend most of my time on single track A and B roads, usually behind a horse box.
I don't like leather anyway (too hot and sticky in summer and too cold in winter) and certainly wouldn't pay extra for it.
No problems here, love Isaac Blue, Indium Grey and the solid white.
Never use cruise. Other drivers always cutting in forcing me to brake which deactivates it makes it more of an annoyance. And as per above, no DC's around here anyway!

Re your plus points:

Yes I agree, always found Golf seats far more comfortable. Audi seats always give me a bad back and the optional lumbar is next to useless. It just feels like someone has stuck a tennis ball (or football, depending on setting) behind your back.
That's what I want for my B road blasts.
Already ticked the option!
Good, can't afford any more options anyway! Also not spec-ing DCC. Only options I ticked were metallic paint, Brescia alloys (but only because I dislike the Parkers) and Dynaudio.
Sounds like you've made your mind up for the GTI mate.

Sounds like you've made your mind up for the GTI mate.

Almost. I’m 90% decided.

S3 - too few features and no cash left to spare to add any options, expensive insurance and servicing.

A3 1.5 - already got, fancy a change, something a little quicker.

A3 2.0 - not currently available. Am told it will be on sale again soon. Would consider but only as an S3 compromise to stay in the Audi camp.

Leon Cupra - I really like it but can’t help feeling like it would be a bit of a comedown from Audi. Yeah I know, call me a badge snob.

Merc A class - really don’t like the interior.

BMW M140 - really don’t like the exterior!

GTI - ticks every box except again, it’s not an Audi. But does that really matter? Especially as the A3 has more VW DNA than Audi anyway...

Reactions: NevMan and Jcbmally
Almost. I’m 90% decided.

S3 - too few features and no cash left to spare to add any options, expensive insurance and servicing.

A3 1.5 - already got, fancy a change, something a little quicker.

A3 2.0 - not currently available. Am told it will be on sale again soon. Would consider but only as an S3 compromise to stay in the Audi camp.

Leon Cupra - I really like it but can’t help feeling like it would be a bit of a comedown from Audi. Yeah I know, call me a badge snob.

Merc A class - really don’t like the interior.

BMW M140 - really don’t like the exterior!s

GTI - ticks every box except again, it’s not an Audi. But does that really matter? Especially as the A3 has more VW DNA than Audi anyway...

As others have said the GTI is a really good drivers car, but there is something about the S3 that made me "feel" better. I'm waiting for my next S3 to be delivered, It has privacy, SS seats, red calipers, Daytona, folding/dimming mirrors and even though it is not my perfect spec it's a good compromise. Plus a big discount and contributions of £4k (long story) it was a no brainer.
As for running cost regarding S3 vs GTI I don't think there will be a lot in it. On a test drive (GTI) I was getting 33/34mpg only.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and NevMan
As others have said the GTI is a really good drivers car, but there is something about the S3 that made me "feel" better. I'm waiting for my next S3 to be delivered, It has privacy, SS seats, red calipers, Daytona, folding/dimming mirrors and even though it is not my perfect spec it's a good compromise. Plus a big discount and contributions of £4k (long story) it was a no brainer.
As for running cost regarding S3 vs GTI I don't think there will be a lot in it. On a test drive (GTI) I was getting 33/34mpg only.

Gah... I was 90% sure, now I’m back at 65%...

Reactions: NevMan and Jcbmally

Sorry buddy :friends:
Go with your heart ALWAYS, life's to short :thumbs up:

Sorry buddy :friends:
Go with your heart ALWAYS, life's to short :thumbs up:

lol. Heart says Audi. Head says GTI. Wife says Ford Focus 1.0 3 cylinder (used)

Reactions: josul, NevMan and Jcbmally
lol. Heart says Audi. Head says GTI. Wife says Ford Focus 1.0 3 cylinder (used)

1.0 focus it is then

Go S3 mate, getting a cracking deal there

Reactions: Jcbmally and Snake Pliskin

Sensible choice and best choice will probably go for a Golf myself next time around..............you dont need over 300 bhp on UK roads and best of all you cannot use it either....it's a status thing....Ego feeding

Reactions: Jcbmally, Snake Pliskin and NevMan

Yer a Badge Snob admit..........it, it's got nowt to do with anything else............everyone that buys a Audi is a badge snob

Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan and TYb
Sensible choice and best choice will probably go for a Golf myself next time around..............you dont need over 300 bhp on UK roads and best of all you cannot use it either....it's a status thing....Ego feeding

Exactly that. Vorsprung Durch Peniz Extenzion.

Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan, TYb and 2 others

I agree with those comments. Plus the fact that the residuals are so much higher on the s3 my monthlies and deposit are pretty similar to your Gti numbers.

Wife has a tt with the 230 engine and can confirm the mpg is pretty much identical. S3 insurance is much higher than the Gti though with all the s3 thefts. Servicing is the same.

I’ve had a Gti and I loved it but every time I saw a golf r or an s3 I wished I had one of those

Reactions: Jcbmally and NevMan
Exactly that. Vorsprung Durch Peniz Extenzion.

Funny how you change as you grow older and wiser....l have one of the most expensive S3's you can get.........why did l get it.......**** knows regrets....no, would l do it again not a ******........... chance...........l got this car..perhaps going through that mid -life crisis carry on.............and also when Audis began getting real expensive with diminishing build quality,the price of my spec jumped up 3 times in 14 months prior to me ordering................and no its not worth it at all...........all these guys that pay expensive amounts of rent for their fast Audis.................One day realization will set in...........on the fact you cannot keep paying a **** load of money to rent a car

Reactions: Philip Davies, Jcbmally, Snake Pliskin and 2 others
Yer a Badge Snob admit..........it, it's got nowt to do with anything else............everyone that buys a Audi is a badge snob

And the fact they (currently) have the best interiors, and that is mega important....to me

Reactions: Jcbmally
Question tho ... the S3 and the GTI are virtually the same price due to the bigger contribution from Audi. The S3 is only £6 per month more. So is the GTI still the sensible option with that in mind?

Reactions: Jcbmally and NevMan
22 pages. lol

You're a long time dead, and there's no pockets in shrouds.

Get the S3. :icon thumright:

Reactions: Jcbmally and Pook