Custom dash cam install

jobu72z

Reaction score
I know there are others out there, but I figure I would post mine in my own thread instead of updating other people's threads, just in case slightly different model, whatever. This is on a 2009 Audi A6 Premium.

This is the power kit I used, there are many like it. I just cut off the ends and used quick splice solderless t-taps to splice into the power. My dash cam is mini-USB. Be sure to get the correct end for yours.
Amazon product

I also used some Scotch Extreme Mounting Tape (black) to connect the dash cam to the window. Very less noticeable.

I started out by removing just the center portion around the sunroof module. It comes out very easily if pulled from the front of the car (open the hidden tray thing first).

[photo=medium]9472[/photo]

Then remove the two screws (mine were standard phillips, I've heard some are star.)

[photo=medium]9473[/photo]

Then can use a credit card or plastic pry bar to pull the rest of the entire module down. Or grab from the now showing holes.

[photo=medium]9474[/photo]

Here is a picture of the back of homelink module. The red/blue is power and brown is ground.

[photo=medium]9476[/photo]

Here is a picture of the entire back of the module.

[photo=medium]9475[/photo]

So tie into the wires however you see fit. There is plenty of space up in there for stuffing the power module. It is just a little tricky to get it to stay up in there while putting everything back together.

Multiple ways to do this based on your preference, but I decided to to carve out a little u shape from that mirror mount cover as follows. There is a perfect little channel to run the wire down through there.

[photo=medium]9477[/photo]

And now you can see it is completely hidden. And also does not require cutting the mini USB power cable and soldering it back together.

[photo=medium]9478[/photo]

Yeah, I know, I need to blacken out my turnpike ezpass module ... you can certainly see the dash cam in this picture, but from afar, and glare, no one notices. And from inside the car, it is completely behind the mirror.

[photo=medium]9479[/photo]

The power works like this .... camera gets power when the door is opened (or unlocked I think as well), key does not have to be in ... power is also on when key is on. Lights do not have to be on. Cam powers down at the same time the lights timeout when exiting vehicle.

Reactions: Roadrunner146
The red/blue for hot. The brown for ground. Coming out of the homelink module. There are a bunch of power in there though. Each has a little different power on characteristics. Unfortunately, I dont have a wiring diagram. I got these from another forum post.

Reactions: Roadrunner146