Strange engine issue with MY16 S3

200sxr

Reaction score
Another S3 owner from Aus, I have had my S3 for just over 2.5 years and lately I have been getting a few errors. I have had a few time where the headlight would not self-level and stuck at the closest range; then I have had a few warnings about the ACC not available. In the last few months the engine would exhibit a strange behaviour where there is a lot more vibration at low revs (say from idle to 2,000 rpm) and it is a lot less responsive than usual at that rev range. At high revs the "pop" with the gear changes is also gone (DSG / S-tronic).

As with all these issues they all present themselves when I start the vehicle and a restart of the car usually fixes them.

Just wondering if anyone else had similar issues especially with a similar engine issue?

This turned out to be a faulty cam angle actuator/sensor. Apparently, if the ECU senses a fault it will disable the ACC. There is no engine check light, although I did see a fault code for cam timing error. The sensor was replaced under warranty it has not happened again.

Reactions: Dan_G, Leevr and oli356