Do I need a new cam chain and tensioner?

Shady0808

Audi S3 Essex
Reaction score

Hope I can get a diagnoses on this here before I spend money getting a garage to take a look at it. My S3 is a 2011 61 Plate face lift with a CDLA engine noticed a tapping sound so done a video. First part of video is from a cold start and it idling to a low RPM. Second part of video is after a good run getting the engine up to temp. Oil level was at half way. I'm at 45,000 miles now. This is all the history of the car that I know if:

19,651 – 11/04/2016
Haldex Oil Change, Cambelt & Water Pump, Engine Cover, Air-con Flap Motor, NS Front Seals, Rear Washer Jet, Wipers, S3 Badges, High Level Brake Lamp, Oil Top-Up, Minor Service (Oil Filter, Sumplug, Oil), Plates

19,674 – 27/04/2016
MOT

26,024 – 06/09/2016
RH Paddle Mechanism, Coil Springs, Top Mounts

30,732 – 23/12/2016
2 Rear Tyres

32,305 – 16/02/2017
Minor Service (Oil Filter, Sump Plug, Oil), Brake Fluid Due in 7 months

33,377 – 04/04/2017
MOT

41,355 – 11/12/2017
Major Service (Oil Filter, Sump Plug, Spark Plugs, Air Filter, DSG Seal Ring, Oil), DSG Oil Change (Oil & Filter), Brake Fluid Change, 65% Worn Front Brake Pads

43,736 – 03/04/2018
MOT, 2 Front Tyres, Brake Discs at 27.8mm, Recommended Discs and Pads Replaced

If you can also recommend anything I should get changed as preventative measure then please let me know. Cheers

My MK5 Golf Edition 30 (same engine) was always tappety sounding

Reactions: Shady0808
Only my humble opinion (not a S3 owner) but that noise just sounds like high/pressure/performance (direct injection) injectors. They can "ping" quite loudly on a cold engine. In my experience a slack timing chain makes a distinctive rattle which is more pronounced at idle on a hot engine after oil has thinned and the mechanism expanded slightly.

Camera mics are very bad at conveying the sound, but your engine sounds ok - I may be very wrong though. The tapping is the injectors working as they should.

Here is how my engine sounded before it was replaced

Same tappetty noise, with undertones of more metallic sounds. I also had the bottom end starting to rattle when cold. Oil starvation is a right ******.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the responses, I did think it was ok but just wanted to check. I knew a loose chain was a more rattling sound but wanted to double check. Feel free to keep responding though, might help reassure other people

Reactions: voorhees
It's best to check if you think you have an issue and the forum is the ideal place to ask.

Could be the cam follower, my lowly A3 has started to tick a bit when hot and I'm on 50,000 miles now.