PFL cars-different sounds

Winternacht

Reaction score
Hi all!!

I am in the running for a RS3 PFL, coming from a M2. After all i am an Audi guy..and 5 doors and quattro are a nice plus.

Been looking around and found a perfect car, minus some details i would like to have different, grey roof lining and no bang and olufsen...original Belgium car with 65k miles on it.

I figured i would take my time and wait till the perfect one comes around (black, sport seats/exhaust/ bang and olufsen black wheels, all black inside ect...)...

But yesterday i went out in another PFL car and it was so much quieter on the pops and bang department..sportexhaust and same settings..., for me the sound is everything really so grey roof lining ect. is not that important anymore and thinking of pulling the trigger on the first car i had in mind, sounded evil.

Any input from you lot?

Also...how can the sound be so different...?

Reactions: millsy75
Depends on the settings... pops and bangs louder in dynamic mode. Even the standard exhaust pops and bangs!

Reactions: Terminator x
I test drove a PFL car with 16,000 miles on and then one with 30,000 miles on. Both had sports exhaust, both were in dynamic but the car with 30,000 miles on sounded so much better and louder.

Could this be because the engine has loosened up more? I wasn't sure why.

Original car you drove was perhaps decat, made a massive difference to mine which had sports exhaust too.

TX.

Edit - to remember to cycle back round to dynamic every ignition cycle as car defaults back to "comfort" even though it still shows as being in dynamic.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DW81 and millsy75
The decat made yours quieter?

Yep cycled through modes as you say

Thanks for the input.

Modes were the same, no decat or anything else...

Only thing...the loud one had 65k km the other 40k km...so could that be a factor.

I can spot the rs sport exhaust by the extra pipe on the left side connecting both other pipes correct?

Can it be a software update from audi itself?, holding out for another car and missing that sound would not tick my box really...

Thanks for the input.

Modes were the same, no decat or anything else...

Only thing...the loud one had 65k km the other 40k km...so could that be a factor.

I can spot the rs sport exhaust by the extra pipe on the left side connecting both other pipes correct?

Can it be a software update from audi itself?, holding out for another car and missing that sound would not tick my box really...
Doesn't make sense. They should both sound exactly the same. Were they both definitely in dynamic mode? Remember you have to cycle back round through the modes when restarting the car, as it will be in quiet mode even if it says dynamic.

Reactions: Terminator x
Only other thing I’ve came across.
Although in dynamic if I drive in manual it makes plenty noise but when driving in S dynamic it’s much louder.

Yup cycled through the setting after firing it up again. So there is only one sort of software and some update has nothing to do with it then.

I'm not sure why but I ended up buying the louder of the two RS3s!!

Obviously condition and spec was right for me but it sounded so much better than the previous one I test drove (similar spec).

The decat made yours quieter?

Yep cycled through modes as you say
Eh, no decat much louder. Talking about the OP who drove a louder car first ;)

TX.

Reactions: SPIKE_
Eh, no decat much louder. Talking about the OP who drove a louder car first ;)

TX.

Yep did think so

I drove two and one noticeably louder than the other no mods same spec just one had about 16k on the clocks and one about 30k.

Only other thing I’ve came across.
Although in dynamic if I drive in manual it makes plenty noise but when driving in S dynamic it’s much louder.
I never knew that mate. I drive mine 95% of the time in manual mode and find this loud enough.

I always drive in manual and after 3500RPM the sound is amazing, are you sure it is louder in S? Can't see why it would be louder in Dynamic + S compared to Dynamic + manual!

I always drive in manual and after 3500RPM the sound is amazing, are you sure it is louder in S? Can't see why it would be louder in Dynamic + S compared to Dynamic + manual!

I find there’s more pops and bangs in S dynamic.
Also when in S dynamic the idle is higher than when you pop it over to manual.
Why I’m not sure but what it does.

Reactions: millsy75