Tyre headache

maxdrz400

Reaction score
After some advice please chaps,
Yesterday morning i purchased a pair of tyres fof my car from a well known foreign tyre importer, when i got the order confirmation i realised i had made a mistake and ordered the wrong size. I immediately cancelled the order and all the website said was we will be intouch.
Since then i have had the money taken from my account, and a order dispatched email.
Having done a bit if digging online it seems that this is a tactic this particular website uses and will charge you £25 per tyre to return.
There is no telephone number or email address to contact them either so it looks like i'm stuck with a pair of tyres i didnt really want.

So my question, my tyres currently are 235/40/18, i mistakenly ordered 225/40/18. Firstly will these fit my standard s-line wheels? Secondly would it damage my diffs running different size tyres front and rear?

I would normally return them and accept the £50 return charge, but times are hard finacially at the moment and i cant really afford to foot that plus another pair of tyres ontop.

that sound like a right old pain chap, i'd be having words with my bank or card issuer to start with an dthen tracking down a contact number.
size wise it is best to tyre and keep things all the same on a Quattro , they will fit ok but will be different, not a msssive amount but different all the same.

here is a comparison chart.

Ades1

Thanks for the reply Rob, i will be speaking to the bank monday morning.
Its frustrating as i have bought tyres from them before, and have had no problems, they are also considerably cheaper than buying in the uk. Its just when a problem arrises that the difficulties begin.
That chart is a very interesting look at the difference 10mm in width can make to diameter on a tyre.
If all else fails i shall probably stick with them, your table shows them as the rolling diameter being 8mm smaller than 235's. If i pair them up on the front, and keep my current tyres on the rear which are part worn (by me they were bought new) assuming the rears have lost 4mm of tread that then only makes the diameter difference 4mm. Which is in theory no different to replacing only 2 tyres anyway.

Just a side note, does anyone else's quattro chew through nearside front tyres? Ive counted 13 roundabouts between home and work and not sure if this is to blame, but the nearside tyre wears almost twice as fast as the offside. Each time i get new tyres i get a four wheel hunter allignment too to make sure all is straight, which rules out the allignment.

I believe you should be fine. I would run the wider tires in the rear but you shouldn't see or feel any difference. I can't remember but I believe the "rule of thumb" for differences in rolling diameter is 3%. Looking at Rob's chart it looks like you would be at less than 4% which is acceptable.

Reactions: maxdrz400