Facelift S3 FL - 3 door v 5 door (differences and opinions)

Do you prefer the 3 or 5 door?

• Total voters
Lets just say...apart from yer potential banning for Audi Blasthemy that is....???av got contacts ye know....???lol.........the Audi A3 Saloon without a doubt is thee best looking variant....now go and wash yer mouth out or its 10 of the belt for ya....

Honestly, Saloons are fine - as long as you wear cream slacks and a bomber jacket. Think Jeremy Clarkson fan. The Saloon style invokes memories of this car:

i028824.jpg

Only acceptable saloon would be in coupe form or an M5.

5 door not only looks much better but it’s much more practical as well.

From behind the 3 door looks very dated, those light clusters are horrendous.

I went from a 15 plate 3dr to an 18 plate Sportback, and wouldn’t go back to 3dr. 5dr Much more practical, looks better, and much easier to get out of in tight spaces

Only downside is two extra door shuts to clean

Reactions: NevMan, Mark_86 and Jassyo06
Don’t forget that the 3 door is the speediest of the lot...... that 0.1 could be all the difference ;-)

Reactions: Mythos, KenL, Bells and 2 others
I wouldn't buy a 5dr A3 nor A1, shame that for both the next versions will only be 5dr (ignoring the 4dr saloon A3 ;) so effectively I will not be buying another Audi. R9 is too showy for me.

Looks are pointless debating, the 5dr way outsells 3dr so the market prefers 5dr. My 3dr never has anyone in the back (4years!) and 99% of the time is just me so why buy an 5dr estate ;) My 3dr does look a little heavy around the rear quarter from side on though, needs less metal or bigger wheels.

Reactions: Mythos, KenL and lledwoc
Go with the one that you like the best, its all personal preference & as its you that will be paying then you decide, all the S3's are great cars, styles & options are all down to your taste. :thumbs up:

Reactions: Mythos, KenL, Flying Scotsman and 2 others
^^ no S3 (possibly no current Audi) is a great car. Good road cars yes but something that will be looked back on in 20years and defined as great....nah.

^^ no S3 (possibly no current Audi) is a great car. Good road cars yes but something that will be looked back on in 20years and defined as great....nah.
I think you'll find that in 20 years time the current R8 and RS6 will be held in high respect by the motoring fraternity

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and TYb
Don’t forget that the 3 door is the speediest of the lot...... that 0.1 could be all the difference ;-)

Aye and my saloon with the pano-roof is the slowest lol

Reactions: KenL and SamR92
IMO the 3 door was by far the more attractive car on the 8P model, but have to agree with the majority here - the sportback 8V is much more aesthetically pleasing. I'm planning to buy a FL 8V in the coming months, and have been going through the exact same debate myself... but settled on the 5dr!

Reactions: Mythos
Aye and my saloon with the pano-roof is the slowest lol
Haha I’d sacrifice my 0.1 second for a voodoo with pano.... I have been enjoying mine a lot more now the sun is shining though, pano would be a nice addition.

Reactions: Jcbmally, Snake Pliskin and Jassyo06
S3 saloon would look good with two massive doors, more slope on the back window, rear seats that have to be crawled into with much less head and leg room that can't be sat on by anyone above 4'8" or legs that dangle over the edge of the seat.
Or is that BMW territory?
That’s the unicorn like sports coupe that rears its head every now and then

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
I use to despise the Sportback car. Thought it looked an afterthought in the A3 line-up.

That was until the current 8V model, where I think the Sportback in both S3 and RS3 look genuinely pretty damn smart.

Up until the Saloon came out (which I bought) I was going to buy the 3 Door S3, as I thought the 3 door looked better and more sporty than the Sportback. When I was deciding whether or not to buy the new RS3, I was also indecisive whether or not to buy the Sportback over the Saloon. That's how much the Sportback has grown on me.

I still think the 3 door looks good, and if I didn't need back seats now, I'd be tempted to still order a 3 door if I was wanting a new S3. But for resale, the sportback will be easier to sell than the 3 door.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snake Pliskin
this car looks stunning IMO.

Oh and its a sportback :icon thumright:

Maxresdefault

Reactions: BarryG79, NevMan, Jcbmally and 4 others
The problem with the car pictured is the absolute mess of an area around the C pillar - that small window is a compromise made to fit another door in and means it isn't as clean as the 3 door. It would actually look better if it wasn't as squashed -i.e like an actual estate shape (see the A4 or A6 Avant).

Edit - i'm talking about the picture of the sportback

Reactions: Mythos and KenL
Glacier white i believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It looks like it’s almost between nardo and white. Looks great in the picture

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, oli356 and Jassyo06
It looks like it’s almost between nardo and white. Looks great in the picture

Will it look like that in the metal though? Doubt it...

Argument over :cheerful:

Reactions: BarryG79, mikemod, Snake Pliskin and 3 others
Lovely yellow A3. But, please reassure me that you don't have tinted front windows??????

Went with a 3 door mainly because I couldn’t justify the extra cost of a sportback / saloon. The deposit contribution on the 3 door was something crazy like £2500 when I ordered and the overall discount offered by the dealer was about 18%, the dealer couldn’t get close to the same figures on a saloon / sportback. A year on I still think the 3 door looks more sporty though.

Although saying that I did like the demo S3 Saloon I had before ordering which did make my decision a little harder. But if I want to upgrade to a PFL RS3 soon I’ll have no choice other than go with a sportback...

Attachments

• 7B6DBEAB-A708-4EBB-9354-4A1965ADC651.jpeg
    7B6DBEAB-A708-4EBB-9354-4A1965ADC651.jpeg
    544.5 KB · Views: 179
  • 07D02E8A-5C52-4A5D-930E-9B608FFBCF17.jpeg
    07D02E8A-5C52-4A5D-930E-9B608FFBCF17.jpeg
    327.1 KB · Views: 177
Reactions: KenL
5 door not only looks much better but it’s much more practical as well.

From behind the 3 door looks very dated, those light clusters are horrendous.

Could you educate me and post pictures of both so I can see how horrendous my light clusters look?

Last edited:
Reactions: mikemod, Weeb, TYb and 1 other person
Could you educate me and post pictures of both so how I can see how horrendous my light clusters look?

was gonna say something about that too! think he's on about spec rather than style! My halogen front and rear lights look awful but this is because of spec! they still look awful on the Sportback!

Reactions: Jassyo06 and KenL

Probably my personal favourite 3 door spec I've seen. Panther black, 19 inch wheels, red brake caliper on the black edition looks really good to me and suits the car perfectly.

Reactions: KenL
The black S3 does look good.

It’s just the up keep of black paint that demoralised me when I had a black car (TTS) but looks amazing when sparkling clean :icon thumright:

Reactions: Mythos and Jassyo06

Probably my personal favourite 3 door spec I've seen. Panther black, 19 inch wheels, red brake caliper on the black edition looks really good to me and suits the car perfectly.

That S3 has far too much black going on inside and outside for my liking but hey where all different