Thoughts

L1ARR

Reaction score
So today I placed a deposit on a new Catalunya Red sportback will be driving it on sat. It was a cancelled order so I have saved £5k on list, spec is pana roof, sports seats stitched in red, red calipers, sound & comfort pack, wider fronts, sports exhaust, black optics, folding mirrors, alu trims.

So the dilemma is I was going to order an exclusive colour which Audi have at the moment ceased taking orders on. The car doesn't have matrix front lights or mag ride or Apple play, so was keen to understand people's thoughts on these. I haven't yet driven an RS3 before let alone used mag ride, so open to how beneficial if necessary these would be and can I do without.

Apple car play/ android auto is standard spec. I have got matrix and keep getting flashed so I wouldn't worry about that one either. Mag ride is probably experienced more by the passenger than the driver I reckon - makes no difference to me but is a Mrs friendly option - mind you, I drive in Dynamic all the time so, in reality, no difference there either!

Reactions: AudiNutta, T-800 and jungle650
You will love it . In this weather roof open , car in dynamic mode , gearbox in S mode and enjoy that sports exhaust ! Bar the mag ride its got all the important spec. However if the ride is not to your liking you can sort springs out relatively cheaply or pay a little more for a full coilover / spring / damper set up.

Reactions: Evil Diesel, L1ARR and T-800
Mag ride makes it more comfortable, but imo the rs fixed dampers handle better. Coming from a lot of sports car I like this fixed dampers a lot, and don't think they are very stiff, it is much more comfortable than my 1M and 997. I much prefer it to the adaptable suspension I had on my golf r, that always felt bouncy. If I bought a RS3 new I wouldn't spec mag ride 100%.

I had mag ride on my S3. Spent the first 3 months with it sounding like the back end was about to fall out the car (both rear top mounts faulty). I could never tell the difference between comfort and dynamic, so didn't bother speccing it on my RS3. No big loss imo. Matrix lights are nice on the rare occasions I use them, but I wouldn't miss them too much if it came to it. Sounds like you've got all the important stuff :)

I really like mag ride on mine. I can definitely feel the difference between comfort and dynamic modes.

Comfort is a little bouncy at times but gives the car another personality. It is a nice to have rather than a need to have so I doubt it would of been a deal breaker for me if my used PFL didn't have it.

My previous 2 S3 had magride but my RS3 hasn’t,I’m glad I didn’t spec it this time round

I had mag ride on my old S3, and also have it on the RS3. It's a completely different animal. Not at all bouncy like the S3 was. But like others have said, the car hasn't been out of dynamic mode yet so I'm not actually utilising it... If you're making a 5k saving then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the comments. Am really looking forward to the test drive tomorrow. My biggest worry at the moment is I am about to have work done to my house and the garage is full. This means leaving a £50k on the drive hoping that it's ok and doesn't get damaged whilst 3 months of building work is carried out.

Will see how tomorrow pans out.

I had Mag Ride on my S3 and my PFL RS3 but didn't spec it on my FL RS3 and I don't miss it one bit - massively over rated in my opinion.

That spec ticks so many boxes I'm sure you'll love it - Catalunya Red is a stunning colour too.

Reactions: Tristan2
Thanks guys, really appreciate the comments. Am really looking forward to the test drive tomorrow. My biggest worry at the moment is I am about to have work done to my house and the garage is full. This means leaving a £50k on the drive hoping that it's ok and doesn't get damaged whilst 3 months of building work is carried out.

Will see how tomorrow pans out.

Stick it on the road.

I don't have the luxury of a drive. Had no problems with road parking.

I had mag ride on the RS3 don't have it on the 4. Over rated imho as the 4 rides really well without. Only spec'd it on the 3 to get the sports exhaust though tbf.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Had mag ride on my RS3 and couldn't tell the difference. Now have a TTRS without it and am more than happy. Expensive and overrated. For those that reckon they can tell the difference, I'd love to do a test to see if they really could!

Reactions: Tristan2
It's so interesting how people's thoughts vary, I am getting the impression itseems like an expensive waste of money.

Reactions: D0C
Each to their own I guess.

I can definitely tell the difference in the different modes but would I buy an RS3 without it? Yep.

Having driven around East Lancs quite a lot recently I am more positive than ever that mag ride is essential...

Reactions: Enbarr and millsy75
I had a similar dilemma about Mag ride. I had Mag ride on my S3 and initially ordered my new RS3 without Mag ride. The test car did not have mag ride. However after test driving a RS3 with Mag ride, I changed my order very quickly to include mag ride. I felt that I could tell the difference. I suppose the question would be is it worth the extra money. IMHO yes.
I can’t wait to get my new car

I have mag ride as a Mrs pleasing option but always drive in dynamic so it is probably irrelevant. Probably wouldn't bother if it was there or not.

So, I drove the car with the wife and our son and loved it. It wasn't a long test drive but enough for me to realise I need an RS3 in the family. The dealer wants the car gone quickly but wasn't prepared to reduce the value any further to convince me into doing the deal. I came away and thought about this over the weekend and have made a decision not to buy this car. My other major concern was 3 months of home improvements and literally no where to keep the car. The dealer was completely understandable and have offered me a substantial discount on a new build.

I will be playing with the configurator and placing an order for a Sep delivery. This will hopefully tie in with a few suble cosmetic changes for the MY19 spec.

Reactions: millsy75 and SPIKE_
I have mag ride and for same reason as @terminator x I wanted the sports exhaust.

Also agree its a waste of £1,000 and no way I would spec it if I did not need to.

The RS3 is my 4th Audi and two of those have had mag ride (tts & rs3) and both these cars have had the hardest suspension of the lot.

If you drive on perfectly flat roads, do a lot of circuit driving or want to go round bends as fast as possible - then mag ride may be for you.

But for regular day to day driving, the regular RS suspension is compliant and more than adequate IMO :icon thumright:

Reactions: L1ARR, Terminator x and mz21