Which turbo

Mospin

Reaction score
First post in technical as I'm not clued up much on the parts my audi a4 b5 1.8t needs its the 150bhp model.

Year 1999.

It's drinking shed loads off fuel and smokes pretty bad (grey smoke ) . Further investigation leads me to belive it's the oil seals on the turbo. Due to oil in the intercooler pipes by the inlet tb .

Which turbo would I need to buy as a decent replacement car does not have many mods engine wise apart from uprated clutch and a awful dump valve. Plus exhaust system that I want to swap for a single if I can find one .

Changing the turbo however won't be a problem in fact probably a lot easier than changing one from my 180sx haha.

Any who could I be pointed in the right direction including any decent upgrades work doing including spark plugs

Thanks

Sent from my SM-T335 using Tapatalk

huge_turbo_011224010445.jpg

Lol any pics mate I am currently modifying a a4 b5 avant with the 1.8t currently pushing out 190bhp hoping for 250bhp soon

Haha always one would need some serious fab work to make that turbo fit and then the poor lag on it .

Yeah have a few but it needs serious bodywork been concentrating on the suspension and bushes but need to know which turbo I need I've a few t28 and gt35 sitting around but there no good lol
3e03d5fa802664c886a5b320ad1e9706.jpg
3eb3849ba1c6784b24ffdc484e84d816.jpg

Lol k03s will fit but there's all different types

Did you do a compression test? Incase it valve stem oil seals causing the smoke. You're more than likely right with your analysis, it's just be belt and braces.

K04-022/3 turbo. It has been done but isn't straight forward. The turbine housing needs welded to the exhaust manifold as it doesn't bolt up to each other.

No compression test yet will get one done for peace of mind . Can't see it being valves but it is on 144,000miles so would be an idea .

Ko4 shouldn't be a problem with the welding . Other then that what else needs doing . If the turbo is shot there's no point replacing it with a stock unit if it's got to come off, might as well upgrade it .

Reactions: AlexA4Avant
The downpipe flange needs changed from k03 to k04 and the tip will be larger. A custom 3" job shouldn't be to hard to mock up but one of bill badgers billet transition collars from the tip to the comp housing would be a good job.

I've got a ko3s from the 190 bhp a4 going to send that away to get refurbed then got saab redreds injectors bigger manifold front mount then a remap hoping for 240-250

Reactions: Samuel c5 Q
Tte on the venders section do a k04-02x hybrid that doesn't suffer the usual lag that some hybrids suffer from. It also makes good power out to 7-7250 rpm. Tte 340 I think it is making 330-358 bhp. It could be argued that a k04-064 with an adapter plate would make more sense but I don't think they would help the engine work as well in the bottom end as a tte 340 or standard k04-02x. A standard k04-02x welded to your own manifold gives it a bit of character anyway and is the cheapest option when done right can give 280bhp.

The tte 340 would still need the turbine housing welded to your manifold. Comp housing might need reclocked, I can't remember as it's been a while since I looked near mine.

Sorry guys but welding a turbo? Come on thats just nonsense.

Welding cast iron is just a disaster waiting to happen. I've been around here for 10 years and i've NEVER seen someone weld a transverse platform turbo onto a longitudinal manifold.

Personally i think more diagnostics need done. High fuel consumption and grey smoke surely indicates a rich running condition? Why would a faulty turbo cause high fuel consumption? Have you even scanned it for fault codes? You realise these cars dont have an engine management warning light, so the ECU could well be full of faults and it wont tell you...

Get the turbo intake off and check the wheel for play and damage. Oil in the pipes and hoses and in the bottom of the intercooler is normal on turbocharged cars. Unless theres LOADS i wouldnt be using that as any sort of indication that the turbo is broken.

If the turbo IS broken, then you need to carefully consider what you want from the car. Willy nilly bolting (or welding!) bigger turbos on is going to get you nowhere.

Understand were your coming from welding a turbo on isn't really my cuppa , but if it was the only way it's a thought maybe considered. But what about custom manifolds to account for the turbo fitment ?

In terms off plugging it into the scanner this was last done last month before the mot . It came up with alarm fault which was the bonnet sensor but I still can't figure out how to fix the sound as it's on mute still. Next faults was maf and lambda both have since been replaced with new units .

As well as new Coilpacks and spark plugs including service were I found a vac leak on the fpr line .

With turbo inspection the turbo was replaced with a ebay turbo I assume when I brought the car over a year ago I've pulled the intake pipe with signs off oil same for the turbo inlet pipe oil again. No play in turbo tho.

I've also cleaned the element on the tb as this was causing rough idle .

I'm thinking turbo first before I get knees deep into the engine my next guess would be valves once I've done a comp test . Just not got round to it yet where I'm busy stripping a rb20det down for rebuild .

well if its an ebay turbo then sure the alarm bells are ringing...

Was it a genuine MAF? and was it a genuine lambda? If you've fitted ebay ones of those too, you might as well go back to the start and replace everything again with proper Bosch parts.

Like i said above, its running rich, which sounds to me like a fuelling/management issue. You need to get it back on a scanner now you've replaced the items and see whats going on. Check the fuel trims are sensible.

Does the exhaust smell of oil? or fuel?

No OEM maf and lambda will only use OEM parts .

It's absolutely stinks off fuel from the exhaust can stand at the front off the car and smell it that far . Being new too audi I've no idea on fuel trims ?