I may be mad!

Well summed up buddy!
Wouldn't disagree with any of that.
Just done a stunning day trip up A9 to Aberfeldy, Kenmore, Loch Tay, Loch Earn and home in wifes TT on some stunning winding roads. Makes me wonder I feel I really need 300 or 400 bhp when I can do this in a 1.8 TT.
I have done that drive in early May about 8 years ago with not too many tourists around, apart from an ex pat :blink:who was driving rather quickly and loving every minute of it in his rental Vauxhall piece of rubbish and thrashing the hell out of the engine and gearbox.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
I have done that drive in early May about 8 years ago with not too many tourists around, apart from an ex pat :blink:who was driving rather quickly and loving every minute of it in his rental Vauxhall piece of rubbish and thrashing the hell out of the engine and gearbox.

Remember that hire cars are literally the fastest on the planet! Boggo standard, doors driven off...

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Flying Scotsman and Jassyo06
Roads weren't busy despite it being Easter weekend, glorious sunny day, lochs were like mill ponds in places.
One near miss when a dozy pheasant decided to walk out in front of us. Thankfully there was nobody behind me when I braked and also that the dog wears a seatbelt lol

Reactions: sgtvic, BigBill, Flying Scotsman and 2 others
Roads weren't busy despite it being Easter weekend, glorious sunny day, lochs were like mill ponds in places.
One near miss when a dozy pheasant decided to walk out in front of us. Thankfully there was nobody behind me when I braked and also that the dog wears a seatbelt lol

I never understood the game of "chicken". Pheasants are the worst for "Oh look, a car. Time for a walk..." Lost count of the number of near-misses with those stupid birds. You have wings, fly you stupid thing!

Reactions: Bristle Hound, Jassyo06, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
@Snake Pliskin - Both your floret Audi's look completely different to the S5 in question
Sort of darker with a smokey undertone I say

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
@Snake Pliskin - Both your floret Audi's look completely different to the S5 in question
Sort of darker with a smokey undertone I say

The light affects floret a lot mate.

Looks best on a dull cloudy day lol .. looks darker / smokier / mercury like.

Looks more like a regular silver on a bright sunny day or under intense light.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Bristle Hound
Keep the S3 bairn for 2 reasons:

1) The S3 is more nimble and suited to Scottish back roads whereas the S5 is a m'way barge.
2) The performance isn't any better than what you currently have.

I was behind a **** in an S5 on Thurs, he was driving like a total ******* so thought **** let's see what you have then pal.

Off a roundabout onto a dual carriageway I was glued to his bumper until he moved over at 1**mph lmao.

Nice looking car but the size, weight and slushy auto box would put me off and the ones I've seen are driven by older folks, not young guns like yourself lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Audi Bairn
^^^^ Can someone move this to the "Why do Audi's get a bad rep" thread?

Reactions: Jonny B
Probably crazy, given my S3 is only 16 months old, but rush of blood today resulted in me asking dealership for figures (usually the first step towards the point of no return for me) on an almost new S5 Coupe fully loaded and in stunning Floret.

Details I posted on the S5 forum asking for opinions below.

Would welcome any constructive thoughts.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/advice-opinions.369567/

Personally, and as someone who has had an S3, S5 and RS3, Don't do it,
The S5 is a beautiful car, but it doesn't compare driving wise to the S3 you currently own, It feels heavy and sluggish, and certainly is not worth it for the hit you would have to take,

Looking back, I wish I had not bothered with the S5, and just jumped upto the Rs3.

Reactions: davc
Keep the S3 bairn for 2 reasons:

1) The S3 is more nimble and suited to Scottish back roads whereas the S5 is a m'way barge.
2) The performance isn't any better than what you currently have.

I was behind a **** in an S5 on Thurs, he was driving like a total ******* so thought **** let's see what you have then pal.

Off a roundabout onto a dual carriageway I was glued to his bumper until he moved over at 1**mph lmao.

Nice looking car but the size, weight and slushy auto box would put me off and the ones I've seen are driven by older folks, not young guns like yourself lol.
Personally, and as someone who has had an S3, S5 and RS3, Don't do it,
The S5 is a beautiful car, but it doesn't compare driving wise to the S3 you currently own, It feels heavy and sluggish, and certainly is not worth it for the hit you would have to take,

Looking back, I wish I had not bothered with the S5, and just jumped upto the Rs3.

I hear what you say, and agree with much of it, but my S5 was much better on the back roads than my S3 is despite the difference in size.
My S5 was a FL (Mk2) one rather than the new / current one right enough.

All now irrelevant anyway as the deal's off - can't even get close to acceptable figures. Common sense (boring I know) tells me to wait 6 - 12 months.

Reactions: Jcbmally, Jassyo06 and Snake Pliskin
Sometimes the timing can be off for a reason, as you say there will be another opportunity down the road...

I hear what you say, and agree with much of it, but my S5 was much better on the back roads than my S3 is despite the difference in size.

All now irrelevant anyway as the deal's off - can't even get close to acceptable figures. Common sense (boring I know) tells me to wait 6 - 12 months.

Must be driving your S3 wrong then mate ;) the S5 didn't come close, great as a long distance cruiser, but for fun and drama, it was miles away from the S3 I had.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and davc
Must be driving your S3 wrong then mate ;) the S5 didn't come close, great as a long distance cruiser, but for fun and drama, it was miles away from the S3 I had.

I suggest you try some Scottish back roads, especially single track. Those roads can be in bad repair and believe me you will appreciate a more supple suspension ride and a longer wheelbase which an S3 will provide over an S5

Reactions: Pinky1959 and Audi Bairn

Another deal will come up nearer the time especially with A4/5’s being face lifted.

I’m downgrading when the time is up on mine but if I wasn’t an S4/S5 would be right up there for me, obviously hasn’t got the noise of an RS3 but it’s a great looking car, the cabin is as good as they come and the V6 is a great engine.

I suggest you try some Scottish back roads, especially single track. Those roads can be in bad repair and believe me you will appreciate a more supple suspension ride and a longer wheelbase which an S3 will provide over an S5

Correcting a woops mistake, I could no longer edit..... you will appreciate a more supple suspension ride and a longer wheelbase which an S5 will provide over an S3

Last edited:
Correcting a woops mistake, I could no longer edit..... you will appreciate a more supple suspension ride and a longer wheelbase which an S5 will provide over an S3

My comment was in jest, but if it is fun you want, the S3 wins hands down, There is no doubting the S5 is the more comfortable and beautiful car, but on backroads, of any kind, the drama and adrenaline you can get from an S3 is just not achievable in an S5.

Question ... how much driving do people actually spend hooning or raggin thier car round back roads ?

For me it's a very small proportion of my driving.

I would say that 90% is plain driving a to b.
Then 9% will be enjoying the stright line speed.
& the final 1% will be the occasional b road blast.

For this driving style, my last car (S5) was a perfect car and the RS3 is equally perfect in a slightly different way - as would an S3 be.

I think this is where @Audi Bairn is and he appreciates the style, ride, quality & power of the S5 - but in a different way to the S3.

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Audi Bairn
Question ... how much driving do people actually spend hooning or raggin thier car round back roads ?

For this driving style, my last car (S5) was a perfect car and the RS3 is equally perfect in a slightly different way - as would an S3 be.

I think this is where @Audi Bairn is and he appreciates the style, ride, quality & power of the S5 - but in a different way to the S3.

Similar to what you say mate, I don't hoon it round much, most of my driving is normal A-B, But shorter distances rather than long distance.

I loved and appreciated the comfort of the S5 on a long distance journey, but day to day, other than to look it, if i am honest it bored me and just felt heavy and sluggish in general. If I could have at the time without any penalty, I would have given it back to get my S3 back in a heart beat.

It is an each to their own thing, and both cars are brilliant in their own ways, but the OP was asking for opinion I guess, and as someone who changed an S3 for an S5 and regretted it, I felt I was in a good place to offer mine, if the figures stacked up then i'd be more inclined to say go for it, but to have to pay off a load of negative equity for in my opinion a car that is in no way an upgrade. I would say not to bother. Just my 2p worth :)

Reactions: PanamaS3, Snake Pliskin and Audi Bairn

Spot on for me SP, you know me too well lol!
The back roads near here are high speed, twisty with the occasional sharp bend - my favourite type of road.

Reactions: BigBill and Snake Pliskin
Similar to what you say mate, I don't hoon it round much, most of my driving is normal A-B, But shorter distances rather than long distance.

I loved and appreciated the comfort of the S5 on a long distance journey, but day to day, other than to look it, if i am honest it bored me and just felt heavy and sluggish in general. If I could have at the time without any penalty, I would have given it back to get my S3 back in a heart beat.

It is an each to their own thing, and both cars are brilliant in their own ways, but the OP was asking for opinion I guess, and as someone who changed an S3 for an S5 and regretted it, I felt I was in a good place to offer mine, if the figures stacked up then i'd be more inclined to say go for it, but to have to pay off a load of negative equity for in my opinion a car that is in no way an upgrade. I would say not to bother. Just my 2p worth :)

You're opinion is appreciated and valued, we just all like different things I suppose - nowt wrong with that :thumbs up:

Reactions: zaka7 and Snake Pliskin
I don't think Audi AG know what a back road/B Road is and there cars are not tested on them,the steering on there cars ain't fast or accurate enough for a fast B road blast. .... By design

Yup mine is probably the same, maybe even less of the 9%. Equally though its why I sometimes think why I needed an S3, or why I want an RS3. Because for the money such a small amount of time spent in the car is using anywhere near the power available, my daily commute would be the same in a car with 150HP...

I drove just over 200 miles at the weekend and managed to ragged the car around some Dorset roads on Sunday morning before everyone was awake, but that was like 10? miles of driving out of the 200 for the day mostly motorway.

Still want more power though, but can't explain why ;) though the question here is more so about bendy roads it seems anyway

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Snake Pliskin and Bells

Very similar'ish to my driving too @Snake Pliskin :thumbs up:

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Snake Pliskin
Love all the replies on driving that they actually do. It is only when I go back to Scotland that I encounter really fun roads to drive on. In Canada it is mostly boring city, multi lane highways and the occasional fun twisty country road. In fact, on those roads I watch mostly American tourists have a heart attack when they see a sharp corner.....the brakes come full on as they crawl around the corner.
Back to S3 vs S5...the S3 is ok on the twisty roads but not great; the steering and suspension could be way better. Audi and some other German manufactures think rock hard is the way to go for fast cornering. That is all well when the roads are like billiard tables, but undulations, bumps etc. can upset the balance of the car and a more supple suspension will win the day.
I have not driven an S5 apart from a quick test drive and can not make a qualified statement on the pros and cons on real life driveability on B roads, single track and other minor roads. But my S3 does not like imperfect twisty roads taken at higher speeds. Bumps and other road imperfections in dynamic suspension mode really upset the balance of the car, auto suspension mode is better and comfort mode is only suitable for motorway driving.
Just my opinion.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jassyo06 and Bristle Hound
Love all the replies on driving that they actually do. It is only when I go back to Scotland that I encounter really fun roads to drive on. In Canada it is mostly boring city, multi lane highways and the occasional fun twisty country road. In fact, on those roads I watch mostly American tourists have a heart attack when they see a sharp corner.....the brakes come full on as they crawl around the corner.

Lol!
I recall, on the first of our many trips over there, when leaving our hotel in Victoria to head up to Whistler the guy telling us to take care on the Sea to Sky Highway as it was so windy / tight bends. Needless to say we a real laugh given that it's better than many of our A Roads and hardly ever needed the brakes. And that was before they upgraded it for the Winter Olympics n 2010 :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: DrMal, Flying Scotsman and Snake Pliskin
I wouldn't give these so called lovely Scottish roads the privilege of my tyre rubber, l don't hold any romantic thoughts of Scotland and in particular Scottish roads, in general Scotland is a cold hole of a country and if l am honest l hate everything about it... .. Lol

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Bristle Hound and Snake Pliskin
I wouldn't give these so called lovely Scottish roads the privilege of my tyre rubber, l don't hold any romantic thoughts of Scotland and in particular Scottish roads, in general Scotland is a cold hole of a country and if l am honest l hate everything about it... .. Lol

I think you are ready for a holiday in the sun mate ...... lol :blacksunrays::sunglasses::blacksunrays:

For that matter ...... so am I :blink:

Reactions: SamR92, Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
Back to S3 vs S5...the S3 is ok on the twisty roads but not great; the steering and suspension could be way better. Audi and some other German manufactures think rock hard is the way to go for fast cornering. That is all well when the roads are like billiard tables, but undulations, bumps etc. can upset the balance of the car and a more supple suspension will win the day.
I have not driven an S5 apart from a quick test drive and can not make a qualified statement on the pros and cons on real life driveability on B roads, single track and other minor roads. But my S3 does not like imperfect twisty roads taken at higher speeds. Bumps and other road imperfections in dynamic suspension mode really upset the balance of the car, auto suspension mode is better and comfort mode is only suitable for motorway driving.
Just my opinion.

Remember thought that Canadian S3's will have slightly different set-up to UK cars. So maybe they are stiffer over there, as my S3 is hardly rock hard as you describe even in Dynamic mode.

Dunno about that. After reading Evo tackle the North coast 500 mile, there were some spectacular roads worth driving on.

I'm sure they won't all be like that, but with a decent car (GT3) and more money than I have, I'd love to have a go of it.

I think you are ready for a holiday in the sun mate ...... lol :blacksunrays::sunglasses::blacksunrays:

For that matter ...... so am I :blink:
Off for 11 nights 5 weeks today exactly mate, we have had 6 months of RANCID Scottish weather it's never been above 9 degrees centigrade since October...... Such a lovely country NOT

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Tom.H and Snake Pliskin
Off for 11 nights 5 weeks today exactly mate, we have had 6 months of RANCID Scottish weather it's never been above 9 degrees centigrade since October...... Such a lovely country NOT

ah we will be going just about when you get back then - totally agree its been a long horrible cold drag of a winter and can't wait to catch some rays :sunglasses:

Dunno about that. After reading Evo tackle the North coast 500 mile, there were some spectacular roads worth driving on.

I'm sure they won't all be like that, but with a decent car (GT3) and more money than I have, I'd love to have a go of it.

That is a great trip I did it about 6 years ago in early May. The West coast section was fantastic and I met up with a convoy of Mini Cooper S lads and we shared some stories in a pub on that route. I had a much longer route than the 500 mile as I started it at Helensburgh then through Lochgilphead, Oban, Invergarry, Plockton, Lochcarron, Poolewe, then onto Ullapool and began the 500 mile route there round to Inveness with a deviation to the Orkneys.
Great trip and Jassy they were great roads and the weather was fantastic apart from the usual Glasgow grey. I have always seemed to luck out on the weather in my returns to the UK in May.
Here is a pic of Plockton.

jqSmdXJ_fbHQa8X_ohIDGXZhAnFA4oWBFwepswA4tlkCMsLqL8LHY9EoVe7YUHwoC8h4SQpy5A4RDcLghJk9H_taZripjJJ1rdQTVNUxvNAG_f5y_iabViMAHmlfxws9O_khLcXGxjIxtLst93JJaUOwvppath3ayxJvB5Huz9zSerzKx_IVwB0rPB4wT-o8Aqu8Dep8ze1G_KEpvm_fyYKxf8zfhlZ1CvQjWnMDG6z_QTnHXRDsA2EOZTvXCMGzVR0JX8hlXmnRMOH2el3tycqQrTkD3pC2532bQEk6Zx8Gmw8S4LwzVhkFVxhOSaR4lWCVIW9EzqWGYTVuqJ6VZTDoZfpnKjCmLlT2OOq1CW2nMyMLxI7dADl_hP08FpvGqa1jmatMYLp76DjHaa4icHFanW3j99PCGobky0kz5do84GNLp1pCwMgy5Fbom899jXI5P2nWWsHB-us0M6WEKmEuUP0Mauzd5U4remmwk_aX1StreDHobQCfW7yL-3aUI7SbXPNMnK1WHXHVVGtZrjG4s_tkRQGXKODvy_3byraPXFKqKb2u5Wo3l8twWzefsMhxg-w29fieW4mKhuVmEYz8eseCNCbQm_CW_b4=w1283-h949-no

Reactions: Audi Bairn, BigBill and BarryG79

How very dare you sir! :tearsofjoy:

You need to get out of the west more jassy mate lol

Reactions: Snake Pliskin

Absolutely mate!
There are loads of great roads especially NC500 amongst others.

Got a week off in June myself.
Guess where we're going................. SCOTLAND lol
Dornoch / North Coast 500 here we come and can't wait - stunning roads, beaches and scenery and was glorious weather last time :tonguewink:

Reactions: MattSedg, BigBill, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
That is a great trip I did it about 6 years ago in early May. The West coast section was fantastic and I met up with a convoy of Mini Cooper S lads and we shared some stories in a pub on that route. I had a much longer route than the 500 mile as I started it at Helensburgh then through Lochgilphead, Oban, Invergarry, Plockton, Lochcarron, Poolewe, then onto Ullapool and began the 500 mile route there round to Inveness with a deviation to the Orkneys.
Great trip and Jassy they were great roads and the weather was fantastic apart from the usual Glasgow grey. I have always seemed to luck out on the weather in my returns to the UK in May.
Here is a pic of Plockton.

jqSmdXJ_fbHQa8X_ohIDGXZhAnFA4oWBFwepswA4tlkCMsLqL8LHY9EoVe7YUHwoC8h4SQpy5A4RDcLghJk9H_taZripjJJ1rdQTVNUxvNAG_f5y_iabViMAHmlfxws9O_khLcXGxjIxtLst93JJaUOwvppath3ayxJvB5Huz9zSerzKx_IVwB0rPB4wT-o8Aqu8Dep8ze1G_KEpvm_fyYKxf8zfhlZ1CvQjWnMDG6z_QTnHXRDsA2EOZTvXCMGzVR0JX8hlXmnRMOH2el3tycqQrTkD3pC2532bQEk6Zx8Gmw8S4LwzVhkFVxhOSaR4lWCVIW9EzqWGYTVuqJ6VZTDoZfpnKjCmLlT2OOq1CW2nMyMLxI7dADl_hP08FpvGqa1jmatMYLp76DjHaa4icHFanW3j99PCGobky0kz5do84GNLp1pCwMgy5Fbom899jXI5P2nWWsHB-us0M6WEKmEuUP0Mauzd5U4remmwk_aX1StreDHobQCfW7yL-3aUI7SbXPNMnK1WHXHVVGtZrjG4s_tkRQGXKODvy_3byraPXFKqKb2u5Wo3l8twWzefsMhxg-w29fieW4mKhuVmEYz8eseCNCbQm_CW_b4=w1283-h949-no

Used to visit Plockton enroute to my sisters B&B in Portree, Skye.
Famous for palm trees and Hamish McBeth lol
Also near Eilean Donan castle (favourite castle) also used in Highlander.
Another stunning part of the country.

(I'll give my job up for Visit Scotland now, sorry ha ha!)

Reactions: BigBill, Flying Scotsman and Snake Pliskin