s3 or a3 3.2v6 - advice needed

bigyin

Reaction score
hey guys, been reading the forum for a fair while now, altho havent posted very often (once i think). However that being said I was hoping if someone could help me out.

I'll soon be looking to buy an S3 (8L), having been saving up for the last 6 months. however having never driven a turbo'd car, I'm becoming concerned regarding the 'Turbo Lag' of the car, having read several posts it seems the opinions vary regarding how bad its percieved. Can someone put it in perspective for me?

As a result of the above, I've now developed an interest in the A3 3.2 v6. Coming from a V6 at the moment albeit a 2.5, I'm quite fond of the low down grunt big n/a engines produce. Its a lazy drive, which I like, however, I'm also proned to giving it some when the mood takes me (which is quite often going by my fuel consumption). Has anyone driven or have any insight into comparing the 2 cars against each other?

Should point out I'm not asking which is fastest, as both are prob much about the same (comparing to chipped S3), just differences in power delivery/handling (being a big lump infront with the v6), interior and general qualtiy.

Any advice / opinions would be welcome, as MAG reviews only tell me so much. I know that I'll need to test drive both, but would like to have as much info as poss prior to that, so i know what to expect.

Thanks in anticipation

Depending on preference, the lag is there but can be nurtured to ensure you always keep on boost when going up.

Also the look wil be different and the set between the two will be different. The new A3 3.2 looks like any standard A3 and is also the heavier (I believe) than compared to the S3. Your interior will be different and some of the S3 standards are options on the 3.2 so just check to see what you are getting.

The delivery in the S3 is great once you start to enter in 2.5k rpm and then builds all the way through to 5.5k for your upchange. The 3.2 is progressive and will push its way through the range and will naturally produce the nicer exhaust note.

Ultimately the test drive will tell you what you want to know!!

Good luck

Definitely test drive them and decide yourself.

The S3 does have turbo lag, but it's not as noticeable as it was on my previous MK4 Golf 1.8T.

Also, by timing your gear changes correctly you barely notice it. It's only an issue if you change up too soon and then it can take a while to spool up.

I spoke to a 3.2 owner and all he was concerned about was fuel consumption never said it handled any better than his previous car (S3)
hope this helps a wee bit

cheers guys, I'll see about booking a test drive within the next week, and then I'll see how the land lies after.

regards

as a comparison ive driven the old R32 and own a old shape S3. The R32 pulls from the moment you put your foot down and is great for getting out at junctions etc. The S3 laggs a bit in comparison but is easier to drive (not as lurchy if thats the right word)

plus side for the S is it does 28 ish mpg R32 is down at 20-22 mpg.

not that its a big deal, considering i'm coming from an average of 300 miles to a full tank which gives me roughly 23mpg, but i was lead to believe that the S3 isn't so much better on the gas. average of about 23-25 mpg was what i was told (with a remap, to which I will be getting done upon purchase if i buy one). An being that it must run on super as a min, its prob gonna cost more to run than my current v6. I would have the overall running cost (on petrol that is) would be about the same?

Oh, an whilst I'm here, not wanting to change subjects or anything but with regards to mods. Having read several posts, it seems the big changes that are req are remap, suspension, and brakes. Star will be my choice for moddding, as my previous audi went to them, and they know their stuff, plus its a matter of trust.

Sticky for suspension seems like a very good set up, and if Star & the chap that done it (Ess three) both reccommend, who am i to disagree. Its brakes that I'm confused about, Is the Bremmo GT kit the best way to go, I see a few ppl have gone with uprated discs and pads (diamond I believe was one), is this sufficient? i.e is it the braking power thats the problem, or the fade?

Sorry for writing yet another novel here, am quite anal about knowing all I can, and altho i've read previous posts, I'd like the most up to date info I can get.

Regards

mpg in mine is 26 and thats been revoed and I drive like I stole it most of the time
I was led to believe the standard S3 brakes setup is ok but if you need to brake harshly twice in a short space of time you'll get fade
Brembo gt are the favourite but you could go for ap racing or sportec but they are a lot more money it all depends on what you are planning to use it for or how powerful you want your car to be
have a look on the amdtechnik website

cheers, will have a look

being honest I'll be happy with the 240-260 ponies that the chip will give. That'll be more than sufficient, for what i need. Just looking for a quick sleeper, am no boy racer, or traffic light GP.

I've got the bike for proper performance, well in the summer months

so what kinda cost am i looking at for the bremo fitted? kit seems to be about the £800 mark. I figured £2-3k for chip, susp and brakes - you think this is reasonable?

yep looks the figure you'd pay
Brembo are around a grand if you can get them for eight then well done

cheers mate, will do some search over net to see cost of stuff, and will give star a call, see what they can do

Looks like cost of modded s3 will be very similar to cost of 3.2v6, so its prob just a matter of a test drive to see which i prefer. like the styling of the s3 better, but no rash decision made.

regards

s3 is more special than a 3.2v6 IMHO, thats why I got one.

Let us know how the test drives go.

I get 30+ mpg out of my S3. I think you will be in the low 20's with the V6

hi guys my first post.

having just bought a 54 plate 3.2 quattro I cannot say enough about how good it is.

I have driven front wheel cars all my life (i'm 38!!) and to see what a quattro system can do round corners in wet and dry is a totally different experience, unbelievable!

power delivery is smooth and always there throughout the rev range. With ESP on pulling away from junctions is easy.

I had read a lot of reviews on the 3.2 and it was reported to be 'no fun' this is bollxxxx.

I do not regret it and have recently taken a second mortgage to cover the fuel bills, lol. if you can live with 22mpg buy one.

Whichever choice you make add quattro

Cheer again for info.

Have booked a test drive of the 3.2 for next weekend, not looking to buy till start may, but thats just giving me plenty prep time. s3 is gonna be harder to test drive, closest audi is in perth, an they dont have any 8L s3's in, however the guy did hint they would be getting one soon, so here's hoping.

All that being said, a workmate of mine put a spanner in the works for me, he owns a 330ci, an was trying to convince me that it would be a good buy instead of the other 2. He kindly allowed me a test drive of his motor, and although I've never driven rwd before (was quite wierd), its a cracking motor indeed, bit bigger than I wanted, but get plenty of car for the money. The sound of the engine is simply fantastic, hope the 3.2 is the same. Got plenty pro's and cons, no quattro for instance, but then far less transmission loss too......... its getting tough, buying a car shouldnt be this difficult!

Regards

Dont get the Beeemer!!!!!

Noooo!!!!!

Im not actually in a position to judge as I have never driven a bmw but my opinion is based largely on the people that drive them. :puke2:

Thats all!

Yeah, beemer drivers do seem to have a pretty bad rep. Although, the car itself was pretty good. As i say, will test drive the others now, just hope I wont be dissapointed, the bar has been set so to speak.

well I finally got the test drive of the 3.2 v6, and, well to be brutally honest, its not the car for me. There's no doubt that its a good car, engine is quite impressive, pulls hard, sounds wicked. Its the handling and the chassis I had a problem with. I was expecting it to be feel planted and balanced, and it just wasnt. Well not for my driving style anyway. Perhaps if I hadnt driven the 330ci, my opinion would be different, but compared to the beemer it just felt so........ poor in comparison. Either way, the 3.2 is out of the running now, however it has been replaced by the beemer. Now all I've got to do is get a s3 out for a spin.

mate drive the S3 and youll love it. The quality is unmatched and it will put a smile on your face while being very civilised.