Little bit confused over s-line special edition :S

EnkiPhil

Reaction score
Edit: that damn autocorrect broke the title, is a moderator able to change "spine" to "s line" please as I can’t xD if not no worries :)

Hey guys i’ll try an keep this one short, not like my last thread xD

I’ve found a decent (what says) S Line Special Edition Quattro at a decent price.

The confusion is when I try to get an insurance quote and type in the number plate, it just says "AUDI A4 S LINE FSI T QUATTRO"
Not Special Edition.

When manually going through the list I can see "AUDI A4 S LINE SPECIAL EDITION FSI T QUATTRO"
And for some reason, it is £160ish cheaper to insure than the one that doesn't say special edition xD

Looking at the pictures I do believe it is the special edition though because it has the 2 tone leather seats with "S Line" engraved below the head rest, as does the steering wheel too which I believe the regular S Line does not have?

Really confused by this at the moment xD
Thanks in advance for any help

special eds came with or without two tone leather, all special eds were are S-line so will have the S-line bits and badges.
If its a2.0tfsi Quattro s-line special edition the Chassis number will start with "WUA " as all the 2.0tfsi tfsi special eds were made in the RS factory along side the "s4" and RS4 & DTM models.
If it starts WAU then its not a 2.0 TFSI special edition, only the petrol special eds were made at the RS factory, the diesels special eds were not.

there other ways to tell but the car may have been changed or bits swapped over, chassis number is conclusive.

if it's original special eds then, either Mk1 or Mk2 it will have same alloys as the DTM (ronals) , black headlining , black exhaust tips and some other bits if mk1 , or mk2 it will have the black optics pack which was black roof rails and brightwork , also brack grille surround and RS4 style rims, and the other spec eds bits.

Last edited:
Forgot the add, the 20.tfsi special eds only came with one specific engine which is the same 220 power plant that is used in the DTM, engine Code is BUL and wasn't fitted to any other A4 B7 , just the special ed and DTM.
you will find several different engine codes in other tfsi B7's though.

special eds came with or without two tone leather, all special eds were are S-line so will have the S-line bits and badges.
If its a2.0tfsi Quattro s-line special edition the Chassis number will start with "WUA " as all the 2.0tfsi tfsi special eds were made in the RS factory along side the "s4" and RS4 & DTM models.
If it starts WAU then its not a 2.0 TFSI special edition, only the petrol special eds were made at the RS factory, the diesels special eds were not.

there other ways to tell but the car may have been changed or bits swapped over, chassis number is conclusive.

if it's original special eds then, either Mk1 or Mk2 it will have same alloys as the DTM (ronals) , black headlining , black exhaust tips and some other bits if mk1 , or mk2 it will have the black optics pack which was black roof rails and brightwork , also brack grille surround and RS4 style rims, and the other spec eds bits.
Had to check my chassis no, its wua Pretty cool to know they were made at the rs factory, had no idea. Think i like it abit more now lol

And another small detail for chap is this, not all special eds rolled off the production line with the same parts.
Mine came with an RS4 ARB fitted at the factory, maybe they didn't allways have enough parts so used something close as...lol, I only found out when I bought one from audi parts in 2014 went to fit it only find there was already one fitted, double checked with audi and it was factory fit......so you can never assume anything with these old cars...

And another small detail for chap is this, not all special eds rolled off the production line with the same parts.
Mine came with an RS4 ARB fitted at the factory, maybe they didn't allways have enough parts so used something close as...lol, I only found out when I bought one from audi parts in 2014 went to fit it only find there was already one fitted, double checked with audi and it was factory fit......so you can never assume anything with these old cars...
I wonder what i'll be looking for tommorow lol. Thats awesome, shame you purchased one first! It turns out then that the b7 special editions really are abit more.... special! Haha. Youve gota love old audi quattro avants... rs2's the daddy for me

Back to this thread though, get the guy selling the car to photograph the build sticker from the service book and as rob said above check the chassis no. Good luck getting hold of one there great cars if you find a good one

Thank you for all the replies, it’s a garage selling it and they did post a picture of the V5C

Which says;
Model: A4 SE S Line Quattro
Chassis #: WUAZZZ...........
Engine code: BUL 003...
Max net power(I think it says that, bit blurry) : 162kW (that’s 217bhp right?)

Was also registered sept/2006, no idea if that’s mk1 or 2,
It does say;
Vehicle Category: M1, on the VC5 if that’s the same thing?

It does have really nice alloys 15spoke ones.
edit: googled the DTM, they are the same alloys woop :D

I should have also said it is the Petrol 2L TFSI (saloon, sorry avant guys ;) ) and it seems to have factory Xenons too woop :D doesn't have the black exhaust tips though damn lol

Does the none se, s line come with the 2 tone leather with s line engraved or are they without?

Seems to be 100% a special ed but for some reason the insurance websites are all pulling it up wrong :S

Side note: I have decided on the special ed now after my last thread because i’ve read a lot of good things about the BUL engine compared to the other engines :D
i’ll cope with the stiff suspension too, it can’t be any worse than my current cars ride hahaha

Thanks you all for all your help :)

Last edited:
Just had a look at the pics for the service book too, that also says;
WUAZZZ
A4 Lim. Quat.2.0 R4
162KW
BUL
All seems very legit then haha

Edit: thank you for fixing the title for me Rob :)

Last edited:
It has the DTM ronals so will be a mk1 , exhaust may have been changed but would have been black originally.
Seats can vary a bit in all the varaints, s-line normally have seats with sline wording on them but not allways the case, special eds came with two tone leather unless different spec was ordered to start with, my car has single black valcona leather interior with s-line on the seats , and its a very nice soft leather, very lush.

It has the DTM ronals so will be a mk1 , exhaust may have been changed but would have been black originally.
Seats can vary a bit in all the varaints, s-line normally have seats with sline wording on them but not allways the case, special eds came with two tone leather unless different spec was ordered to start with, my car has single black valcona leather interior with s-line on the seats , and its a very nice soft leather, very lush.
U really did drop on with your car! Lol. Im not a fan of the two tone seats all black wouldve been much better!

Every s line (none se) I have found recently didn’t have the wording on so thought it might have been the special edition only my bad lol
It’s insane how these cars can vary so much from factor ;_; I was hoping this one had the Satnav but it has the double din cassette unit blaaahhh

Is the nav easy to retrofit or is it a PITA?

These are the seat and alloys anyway
1496txl.png

20paseg.png

And looking at the exhaust tip here, it could have been black but pealed off over timetime of that’s possible? can’t tell might just be the shadow and a bit of blur making it look like a paint pealed tip xD
15wds3b.png

Last edited:
what I can tell you is that it is an early model as it has the amber indicator lens , they changed to clear lens with amber bulbs with clear side ,marker lens too.
Abcd21

most owners with the black tips change them to stainless tips slightly larger diameter aswell.
standard ones are 80mm , many owners go to 90mm or 100mm tips , well if just changing the tips that is.
I have 90mm which fill the appertures nicely.

Attachments

• tp2.PNG
    tp2.PNG
    499.9 KB · Views: 135
  • tp3.JPG
    tp3.JPG
    222.7 KB · Views: 141
just to confuse you a bit more, a few of the options that may or may not come already on the car.

Slin1

Special edition.
Slin2
Slin3
Slin4
Slin5
Slin6
Slin7

Looks tidy, and its got zenons! Mine hasnt, u gona go for it?

so glad its got Xenons, I already have a h7 hid kit like but would need the projector lense too, saves me a job of peeing about trying to install the morimoto(spelling) kit lol
I really want it but it’s just slightly out of my price range, so I need to wait till next weekend to see how much i’ll get for part ex'ing my car. auto trader valuation last week said £600 but this week it’s £125 for part ex which can’t be right, private sale I should get £1200-1500 and that'll sort me out for this car, really really want it noowwww xD
There is a fair few s line se's around 2k cheaper than this with slightly more miles covered, but none in black :( i’m hoping it won’t sell fast an they may reduce the price to match close to other prices xD

Most seem to be around 4k but this one is 6k, would you say it is worth 6k?
67k miles on the clock, FSH, cambelt and waterpump just changed by the garage selling it which is handy and 3 months AA warrantee xD can’t help but think i’d be eventually able to find one around the 4-5k mark in black or am I being wishful? XD

what I can tell you is that it is an early model as it has the amber indicator lens , they changed to clear lens with amber bulbs with clear side ,marker lens too.
View attachment 150491

That'll be one of the first things I change if/when I get it, clear indicator lenses are sooo much nicer haha
i’ll have to check the tips properly too, I never thought about people adding there own slightly bigger ones. Doesn't bother me too much though looks nice black or silver haha

And thanks for the PDF and all the optional extras, god damn there is so many!!! A lot i’m unsure if this car has or not xD
Shame it doesn't have the colour coded door window and grill trim though, that'll also be one of the first things I do :)

Last edited:
Here's some choice bits from my S Line Special Edition:
ff9571aa72e06c469666ccf0207a3c8b.jpg
044e04d84b8ef665a83b930fa915a31b.jpg
641e038cfc8aaf10765a11bc95e2e0e2.jpg
830661a580bbf448e7148a729d211720.jpg
7ace77fd367507fb89e81d79ca92f619.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Lol. I did exactly the same... ordered an RS4 ARB from Audi, went to fit it and found out I already had one!

Here's some choice bits from my S Line Special Edition:
ff9571aa72e06c469666ccf0207a3c8b.jpg
044e04d84b8ef665a83b930fa915a31b.jpg
641e038cfc8aaf10765a11bc95e2e0e2.jpg
830661a580bbf448e7148a729d211720.jpg
7ace77fd367507fb89e81d79ca92f619.jpg

What wheels are they? Haven't seen them ones on any i’ve looked at so far xD looks tidy too, the black trims are so much better than silver on any colour haha

Lol. I did exactly the same... ordered an RS4 ARB from Audi, went to fit it and found out I already had one!
Ouch haha is it the front ARB or the rear ARB from the RS4?
Think I read somewhere the front is stock anyway but I could be wrong xD

Update: checked auto trader before and the car is gone :'( :'( :'(
And there is absolutely no black quattro's left for sale anywhere not even standard s line or the normal SE!!!
Got just over a month to find another one ;_;
Plenty of silver ones for much cheaper but I want a black one -.-

that is a mk2 special edition, noted by the rs4 style wheels ( not actual rs4's) , black grille front grille and surround and black windows trim.
the mk2 came with the black optics pack as standard hence the black instead of silver trim etc .tailpipes are standard special eds, normally black as I mentioned before but a lot end up looking somewhat worse for wear.

that's a shame , but they do sell very well .....which proves the point they are way better than people really think...

What wheels are they? Haven't seen them ones on any i’ve looked at so far xD looks tidy too, the black trims are so much better than silver on any colour haha

Ouch haha is it the front ARB or the rear ARB from the RS4?
Think I read somewhere the front is stock anyway but I could be wrong xD
Not sure what they called but to quote the brochure "8J X18 ‘7-arm doublespoke’ design alloy wheels with 235/40R18 Y tyres". RS4 style for sure.

I still wana check this! Is the sline 18mm and rs4 22mm?
rs4 22mm , I had 24mm in my head from somewhere though....maybe a dream..lol
anyway.
I originally ordered an RS4 rear ARB from my local audi parts not long after I bought the car thinking I was a good upgrade, went to fit it only to find the one fitted was exactly the same and same part number etc.....needless to say I took it back for a refund, I did allways think the car was quite stiff in the corners when I first had it, that was why...haha

that is a mk2 special edition, noted by the rs4 style wheels ( not actual rs4's) , black grille front grille and surround and black windows trim.
the mk2 came with the black optics pack as standard hence the black instead of silver trim etc .tailpipes are standard special eds, normally black as I mentioned before but a lot end up looking somewhat worse for wear.
Not sure what they called but to quote the brochure "8J X18 ‘7-arm doublespoke’ design alloy wheels with 235/40R18 Y tyres". RS4 style for sure.

i’m not sure whether I prefer those or the DTM alloys on the mk1, both are very nice and different aren't they lol

And it’s a shame they decided to wait until the mk2 for the black optics pack as standard xD who’s bright idea was all that silver trim!!!

that's a shame , but they do sell very well .....which proves the point they are way better than people really think...
Yeah you are not wrong, they are rarely sold and sell fast, just shows people who own one never actually want to sell it xD

Right now there is ONLY 3 black A4 2.0TFSI quattro's for under 10k!!!!

One is standard s line, hella cheap (£1,350) but it’s got the oil guzzling problem. And is modified already (stage 1 revo map, induction kit and other bits) which takes the fun of modifying it away, and seems too good(cheap) to be just an oil problem xD

1 is an S Line Special Ed, but has 129k miles which has put me off ;_; and it has no pics even on the companies website, says awaiting -.- so no idea on anything about it xD

And the 3rd is a b8 SE! although the dash looks so nice with the navs/radio placement, Something I liked when looking at 11/12 plate BMW 3 series before deciding on getting an Audi instead xD
Everything else is around the 11k+ mark wow lol

Last edited:
anyway.
I originally ordered an RS4 rear ARB from my local audi parts not long after I bought the car thinking I was a good upgrade, went to fit it only to find the one fitted was exactly the same and same part number etc.....needless to say I took it back for a refund, I did allways think the car was quite stiff in the corners when I first had it, that was why...haha
I thought it was, hammered it down all day so i couldnt check again!

Sorry to hear that one sold mate, u'll find one! I prefer the mk1's but yes i do wish they had the black trim too. Good luck with the search

At least the trim is easy enough to paint if you had a mk1 though (i sya that but ill fail badly at it somehow xD)
An thank you haha hopefully one crops up soon, few on eBay that say modified though but I want as 'stock' as one can be xD

anyway.
Mines only 18mm, mayb they just put more effort into the black ones haha

Reactions: Rob Avant
I think it's all a bit random really......but i'm not complaining...

Reactions: Rob Avant