Engine oil confusion

mrbubba

Reaction score
I had the oil changed in my 2010 S4 about 6 months ago, it was done privately and they used OEM 5w30 oil. Since owning the vehicle, oil consumption seems a bit higher than I'm used to with my cars. I've topped up twice since the service and have now finished the left over 5w30 oil.
I need to buy some more oil, should I stick with the 5w30 oil that Opie Oils recommends for the vehicle, or should I go for 5w40 oil? I've read threads on forums that for those that want to try and stop the excessive oil consumption, they should use 5w40.

Any suggestions? Any recommendations for oil to use, the car is standard at the moment. Opie Oils has Castellani edge 5w40 at a very good price

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Stick with the edge 5w30.

Whats the consumption rate?

Stick with the edge 5w30.

Whats the consumption rate?
I'd say around a litre every 2 to 3 thousand miles (that's a rough guess)

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

The 2.0 tfsi suffered with severe oil usage, repaired by Audi foc now, but not heard much on the S4, do some r&d.

That oil consumption is not too bad. I would stick with the 5w 30 oil .
I wouldn't bother contacting Audi about it either . As far as they are concerned there is no problem with this engine. I have tried.
What's your mileage .
Mine was using 1 litre of oil every 400 to 500 miles. I've had the pcv replaced and that made no difference .
I'm now concentrating on the piston rings .
From what I understand is that carbon builds up on the pistons causing the rings to stick which in turn causes blow by, which pushes excessive oil through the pcv and into the inlet. Thicker oil won't stop this.
If you change your oil, give it a good flush first and then some Italian tuning afterwards .
It might work .

I've gone for the 5w30 to keep it the same.
It's just gone over 90k miles.

My old Mini Cooper S from a few years ago, used to do a litre of oil every 1k, which BMW said was acceptable, so can't imagine Audi would be interested. I had that walnut blasted as it was coked up quite badly.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Not aware that the 3.0? engine has any general oil burning problems and I very much doubt that a slight upper viscosity change would make much difference to consumption. As suggested, it may be a bit of ring carbon build up and raising the combustion temp slightly may help to clean that up i.e. premium unleaded of a dollop of Redex from time to time.

I'm trying different things to try and free the rings . So far I have flushed out the engine with Forte, soaked the piston tops with Marvel Mystery Oil . And the other weekend I pumped out the oil and replaced it with diesel . I had it on tickover for 5 minutes then put the oil back in.
I've managed to raise the compression form 135psi to 155psi across all cylinders . Plus I've nocked 3 tenths off the 0 to 60 time .
I'm desperate to get it sorted as I want a remap. With mine being the 3.0t in an A6 it's de tuned to 290, a stage 1 plus adds another 160 to that.

Reactions: NHN

1 litre per 4-500 is not normal at all, how Audi say this isn't an issue is a mystery.

Let us know how you get on.

Are you tuned or stock?

Are you tuned or stock?
Mine is completely stock. I've been looking at remaps, I'm interested to see if Shark do the STS2 for the S4 engine, as the ability to flash at home is awesome. I had Shark on my Octavia VRS and it was very good, but forgot to take the map off before selling and my STS was no good after that

Shark do stage 2 you'll be happy to know

Shark do stage 2 you'll be happy to know
They really need to update their website then, as it doesn't list a great deal on there

Reactions: xpoweruk
I chuck a litre in my s4 every so often 95k and 400bhp stag 1, never had a motor use as much oil before this one but to be honest a wee bit of fresh oil every so often isn’t that bad

As above stick with the 5w 30

Reactions: mrbubba
I chuck a litre in my s4 every so often 95k and 400bhp stag 1, never had a motor use as much oil before this one but to be honest a wee bit of fresh oil every so often isn’t that bad

As above stick with the 5w 30

My only concern is what damage is it doing to my Cats.

My only concern is what damage is it doing to my Cats.

Yeh I hear what your saying mate, I suppose you just need to weight it up one problem over another, live with the oil issue and hope your cats are ok or try and sort the oil issue for something that might never happen

Has there been many cases of cat failure of the v6s due to the oil issue ?

I’d say your safe enough then mate

Reactions: Roadrunner146