Facelift 1.5tfsi average MPG

gazza53

Reaction score
can those who have the new 1.5 tfsi engine confirm if average fuel economy is as poor as 35mpg? Honest John web site is producing real world figures that suggest it's around 38mpg which is worse than the outgoing 1.4 engine that it was supposed to better?

can those who have the new 1.5 tfsi engine confirm if average fuel economy is as poor as 35mpg? Honest John web site is producing real world figures that suggest it's around 38mpg which is worse than the outgoing 1.4 engine that it was supposed to better?
35 poor!!! lol I'd be happy with 30! On the way home this morning I was down to 25 with all heaters etc on :( average is 27...I was getting more from the S3 :D

Mine averages 41mpg......

Are you buying one now........??......:tonguewink:

Blimey I get that out of my 10year old 1.6vvti Corolla. The golf gti I test drove was doing 35mpg with some spirited driving and its 230bhp. The vw dealer said he was only getting 35mpg out of the R Line golf 1.5 he was driving and didn't really believe it. Don't know about diesel gate its petrol gate with this 1.5 engine. urban is claimed to be 44mpg and combined 56mpg! Why did they dump the 1.4 just for a little bit of turbo lag when it was a much more exciting engine and had a great sound. More importantly didn't it do more to the gallon than this 1.5?

Am I buying one? Probably not if the fuel economy is as bad as is being suggested, I might as well get a gti golf for the same money. If I finally bale out I have a £4500 discount from the dealer as well as the potential of a £850 deposit contribution on PCP that some one on here may wish to bag. There's a nice sportback black edition 1.5 due in the end of April in Daytona with comfort and sound pack, park asist, folding door mirrors and split folding rear bench seat.

35 poor!!! lol I'd be happy with 30! On the way home this morning I was down to 25 with all heaters etc on :( average is 27...I was getting more from the S3 :D
Don't see a 1.5 petrol in your profile?

My average fuel consumption for my A3 1.4COD Sport saloon, which I've recently sold, over 3.75 years was 44.2 mpg, which was taken from each full tank to full tank refills, and this was predominantly using the car for urban journeys.

Reactions: KenL
What fuel consumption you, I or anyone gets out of whatever car is meaningless as it relates to how one uses the car and on what type of journey.....

I know the harder I drive it the more fuel it uses....

I don't know what the official mpg of a Golf GTi is, or my own car, nor care really, we bought the car because we liked it...

Life's too short to pi$$ around fussing about the wheels, the tyres the mpg, blah blah....

Just choose a car that you like and buy it.

Endlessly asking for opinions on here is pointless, one persons opinion won't be yours etc etc.....

Reactions: palla1978
What fuel consumption you, I or anyone gets out of whatever car is meaningless as it relates to how one uses the car and on what type of journey.....

I don't know what the official mpg of a Golf GTi is, or my own car, nor care really, we bought the car because we liked it...

Life's too short to pi$$ around fussing about the wheels, the tyres the mpg, blah blah....

Endlessly asking for opinions on here is pointless, one persons opinion won't be yours etc etc.....
No but you get a fair spread of views and opinions in order to draw your own conclusions and that's what counts. Same with vehicle faults, some are down to how hard people drive theor vehicle such as clutch and gearbox failure and some are not. In the end you soon see what faults are common ones that will materise and which ones won't.

Reactions: KenL
To be fair, gazza53, from what I've read of your posts, I don't think an A3 is the car for you, especially as you seem so concerned about the tyre noise which, in my opinion, a tyre change won't make it any better, and perceived poor fuel economy, so perhaps you'd be better off getting the Golf GTI that you seem to like!

Reactions: palla1978 and KenL
To be fair, gazza53, from what I've read of your posts, I don't think an A3 is the car for you, especially as you seem so concerned about the tyre noise which, in my opinion, a tyre change won't make it any better, and perceived poor fuel economy, so perhaps you'd be better off getting the Golf GTI that you seem to like!
Yes I am slowly coming round to that conclusion Alan. I think the golf in general has the edge where this is concerned *** does the mecedes a class and BMW 1. I think I'll end up waiting to see what the new A class drives like in April and then make a move.

Glad you are happy with your car Phils53 you are obviously a very easy person to please and not too critical like me.

Reactions: palla1978 and KenL