Finally getting an Audi (soon) SE or Sline Q?

EnkiPhil

Reaction score
Hey all first time poster but been stalking for quite a while
Very early warning I write essays, I can not help it and everybody hates me for it but I don’t know how to shorten things, so early apologies ;_;

Have decided to finally get rid of my erm, *cough* Hyundai *Cough* Coupe *Cough* SE and deciding to move on to a more manly car, an Audi, Specifically the A4 with the 2.0T FSI engine because I’ve wanted a Turbo petrol since I started driving but could never afford one and love the a4s.

Car history:
Black MK4 Astra 1.6L (favorite)
and the erm, Silver Hyundai Coupe 2L Lol
Have drove a bogeye Scooby a few times mapped at (iirc) 340/360bhp So at least I am not jumping in the deep end getting my first Turbo lol

Anyway I am currently Divided between an SE FWD and a S Line Quattro in Black
The SE is cheaper and has 88k miles on the clocks and is a 05 plate. But the S Line has just shy of 117k on the clocks and is a 56 plate.

After searching around for the last couple days on here and Google, ive come to (maybe wrongly)understand 116k is close to the 'problem area' (iirc 120k to 130k) but wondering of this is actually true?
And im also wondering what would be better in terms of daily driving with a mix of epic country lanes (I love driving quick on them), Motorways and outskirt city driving with lots of traffic lights? (also where the fun is)
Im not bothered about MPG, The coupé has one thirsty engine and higher Co2 emmisions considering it doesn't put out too much power for a 2L engine.

I am a lot more swayed towards the Quattro because I’ve had 2 FWD cars and all they do is wheel spin off the line specially if the road is damp which is great, unless trying to beat traffic to merge. Howeever I have actually only experienced under steer once, and I think it’s cos I had a passenger (on a right hand bend) ;_;
I will admit I have looked hard at a 320d because I’d like a RWD one day but I have a heavy foot around corners and will probably spin off a bridge and I want a petrol turbo'd engine for a while first anyway and always preferred Audi's.

Pricing the 2 up (including tax and insurance) the S Line is £950 more expensive, but I do prefer the bigger alloys and of the 2 I’ve found in my price range, (1 of each) the SE has a cream interior which I can’t stand (my own opinion people may love it) whereas the S line is black (correct me if it’s got it’s own colour name) which is what I want. I love a stealth look.

Also read a few things on here about the ride being too firm for some too, but don't worry about that, the coupe is horrendous and because i’m 6'1-2 and its roof is like 5" from the ground, my head is skimming the it(I have to half lean so my head in the sunroof part which is slightly higher) and it gets bashed quite a lot so it'll probably feel like a memory foam mattress to me

Now this may seem like i’ve already picked the S Line I know, but the higher mileage and higher insurance(about £250 more) is what puts me off of it big time. So i’m wondering if it is really worth it or should I wait for an SE with black interior to come along?
All other S Lines are outside my budget lots with even higher mileage though weirdly so I don’t think another will drop into my budget for quite a while ;_;

I do plan on eventually modding and mapping too but not sure how well the FWD would be able to put down the power.

Nearly forgot too, the SE has the Double din head unit and the S Line is single Din, would it still be possible or too much hassle to eventually retrofit (if possible) the Satnav unit into a single din center console? ;_;

Sorry for the essay (and any typos), I can’t help it
I had more questions but drew a blank when registering because hotmail wasn’t receiving any confirmation mails so had to change to gmail -.- if I remember i’ll comment xD

Edit: Can anybody tell me how the clutch is on these cars too? I don’t know anybody with one I can test an don’t have the time to go an test drive one yet. The coupe (and the Scooby) we’re both horrendous as the biting point is RIGHT at the top of the travel and is extremely small and weak (apparently "sporty"). Is the Audi's clutch like normal cars where it is about 3/4 up the travel but quite wide, strong and you don’t need to rev the nuts off of it to stop it stalling and can actually sit on a 1% incline without needing the brake/handbrake? XD Or is it "sporty" too? Thank you and sorry again for adding more to the essay lol

Last edited:
Can’t really help with the other bits but if I had the option I’d get Quattro every time. Mines fwd and it annoys me Audi didn’t do it Quattro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome chap, there is never any harm in doing a long write up, I tend to do them aswell sometimes ......lol

A4 B7's are a very good choice in any variant but personal choice is key to getting a model and spec of your choice.
Good ones are around but it may take a while to find one, if you are looking to mod it at any level then maybe looking at other spec A4 B7's may be wise as you could channel funds towards modding instead of buying a better spec car and then changing bits....

I like all B7's petrol or oil burner but do prefer the avants really so i'm a little biased towards them.
If your looking for the turbo effect then the 2.0tfsi is a good choice and lend itself to tuning very well, not cheap but results can be very good, but some engine codes are much better than others .

There is a lot of confusion on what the SE is variant is, well officially it is not short for "special Edition" that is a different spec variant, but the two do get mixed up but are not the same cars.
S-line package can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your requirements , suspension is less than ideal really but a lot of the other s-line parts on the car are ok, which is why a lot of buyers look at the SE spec variant and then change the suspension , kinda saves paying top money for an s-line then start taking bits of...lol , horses for courses as they say.

I'd say Quattro everytime , moreso if upping the engine output as you'll need it to keep things in check., but then i'm biased towards Quattro aswell..haha.
If I was looking now i'd still go with the special edition variant as it has some nice extras that would be expensive to fit to other models.

just my input .

Rob

Can’t really help with the other bits but if I had the option I’d get Quattro every time. Mines fwd and it annoys me Audi didn’t do it Quattro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did have a look at the cabs at first as an alternative to a Saab cab until I saw no quattro version to decide from lol

Welcome chap, there is never any harm in doing a long write up, I tend to do them aswell sometimes ......lol

A4 B7's are a very good choice in any variant but personal choice is key to getting a model and spec of your choice.
Good ones are around but it may take a while to find one, if you are looking to mod it at any level then maybe looking at other spec A4 B7's may be wise as you could channel funds towards modding instead of buying a better spec car and then changing bits....

I like all B7's petrol or oil burner but do prefer the avants really so i'm a little biased towards them.
If your looking for the turbo effect then the 2.0tfsi is a good choice and lend itself to tuning very well, not cheap but results can be very good, but some engine codes are much better than others .

There is a lot of confusion on what the SE is variant is, well officially it is not short for "special Edition" that is a different spec variant, but the two do get mixed up but are not the same cars.
S-line package can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your requirements , suspension is less than ideal really but a lot of the other s-line parts on the car are ok, which is why a lot of buyers look at the SE spec variant and then change the suspension , kinda saves paying top money for an s-line then start taking bits of...lol , horses for courses as they say.

I'd say Quattro everytime , moreso if upping the engine output as you'll need it to keep things in check., but then i'm biased towards Quattro aswell..haha.
If I was looking now i'd still go with the special edition variant as it has some nice extras that would be expensive to fit to other models.

just my input .

Rob

Thanks for the welcome, I have saw a few of your long write ups haha

Ive got the "affordable mods under £100" thread bookmarked as will be doing some bits from that like and probably a simple chip for a while which would probably boost it to special edition power hmmm might be a waste xD

I’m a saloon only man myself, never been a fan of hatchbacks (although my Astra was apparently a hatchback but it had a boot lid like a saloon hmm)
But it is deffo the turbo effect that i’m after, love it when turbo lag stops and you get thrown back by surprise haha
Speaking of which how are these with turbo lag? One of my cousins had a 1.8t mk4 golf an had a fair bit of lag on that like.
And does a diverter spacer make it sound like it has a dump valve or did I read them up wrong? Makes a turbo's sounds complete a dump valve I think (not a ridiculous ott one though lol)

The se and special edition ones confused me at first too but i did mean the standard special edition variant in the OP not the s line se, i think the edit window might be shut to put '(not s line se)' next to it but ill try after this xD
I did have a look at the s line special edition too though but insurance shot up by another £300 and the cost of the car itself must be higher, I only found 1 in my current price range, which was only a FWD an 124k miles iirc ;_; i’m assuming they do all models in quattro too? (Minus the cab)

Might try an test drive an s line to see how the suspension really is.
Ive got a feeling I might be ok with it after living with the coupe for 4 and a half years but better to be safe than sorry xD I do like the s line badge on the grille and id never stick them on a none s line variant and lie to the world which steers me away from the standard se more lol
I do absolutely love the seats in the s line se which is making me think about raising the budget to find one of them instead but may stick with the normal SE or just S line

Haha it is safe to say you a very bias towards the avant quattro aren't you

Well both replies say quattro so deffo going for that :)

Can the SE or S line come with the Nav or is that for the s line special edition?
Only ever see double din w/ cassette player in the se's and a lot of single din stereos in the s line which confused me too ;_;

Thanks for the replies to both of you too :)

Edit: removed quote a lot of gibberish which made the essay huuuggeee
Also couldnt edit OP to add "(not special edition)" after se damn xD

Edit 2: fixed my stupid confusing text regarding SE's xD

Last edited:
To be honest , no two b7's are really the same spec, some can be very close but most have differing specs.
you can get SE's with some options that you may not find on other variants, just depend really on how a car has left the prod line.
My old bus which is a special ed, never came with RNS-e sat sat nav, nor bluetooth but did come with a lot of other nice bits so it just varies really.
My avant has the really nice and supple all black valcona leather interior which was an option even on the special eds.

Ahhh so i’ll just have to keep an eye out and see what pops up really and hope I get lucky xD I mean the Satnav stereo isn’t exactly needed for me, just nice to have as I use Google maps for navigation and traffic anyway lol
And if I find a single din i’ve got my aftermarket stereo I could put in if it didn’t cause problems and I wanted to lol

the interior of yours is so nice like, are the seats not a nightmare in summer/winter either burning or freezing you though?

The coupe has similar and I am not a fan at all xD although even the steering wheel can get too hot/cold to touch so I think i’m just a pansy

@EnkiPhil welcome to audi-sport.net. That has to be the longest introduction I have read in a long time. Hope you get all the help from the guys in this section, they a friendly helpful group.

You said in your first post you tried to register with another account, what user name did you use please?

Enjoy the forum and good luck with your future purchase.

Hi Sandra thanks for the welcome :)
hahaha sorry about that :p whenever I start threads I can’t do simple, I have to explain things in full detail (like this xD)

It was this account I couldn’t get working at first. I was able to login just not post or reply because I had to activate(?) the account via the link sent through email. Resent 4 times to hotmail but none have still come through (even checked junk and unwanted folders) but I found the email change option, and gmail worked instantly thank you :) can’t wait for the future purchase and become an official member hahaha

Reactions: Sandra
I like a good read Phil. I probably activated last night. We have a process that cuts out the risk of spam and that takes time we do that so that genuine users get the best from the forum. I look forward to hearing about your purchase.

Good good it’s rare if I never write a long read haha i’ll be doing a build thread too when the time comes I do have a lot of teeny tiny 'modifications' I want to do that hardly cost a thing :)
It was early this morning (although what time zone is most common here?) I tried signing up, but when I changed to gmail I did get the email straight away and was able to activate it myself :)
I wasn’t sure if it was hotmail blocking the emails as several other websites I use daily get blocked for some reason too for registration, I guessed they don't like links in emails as a way to tackle fraud maybe haha.
I’ll keep an eye on it and if no emails come through after a week (4 should) to that account i’ll let you know, just in case others experience the same problem with recieving activation emails it in future then you know why :')

Good good it’s rare if I never write a long read haha i’ll be doing a build thread too when the time comes I do have a lot of teeny tiny 'modifications' I want to do that hardly cost a thing :)
It was early this morning (although what time zone is most common here?) I tried signing up, but when I changed to gmail I did get the email straight away and was able to activate it myself :)
I wasn’t sure if it was hotmail blocking the emails as several other websites I use daily get blocked for some reason too for registration, I guessed they don't like links in emails as a way to tackle fraud maybe haha.
I’ll keep an eye on it and if no emails come through after a week (4 should) to that account i’ll let you know, just in case others experience the same problem with recieving activation emails it in future then you know why :')
It’s a hotmail issue. It’s not a forum issue. We are mostly uk members just like yourself, but we have many members from all around the world.

It’s a hotmail issue. It’s not a forum issue. We are mostly uk members just like yourself, but we have many members from all around the world.
My apologies I just saw the message in the yellow box about hotmail being an issue before I logged in, usually scroll past those messages without reading xD
And awesome I thought it was mostly UK but good to see it’s world wide too :D
Thank you