1.8T owners - MPG

Mine gets about 25mpg So you're doing alright. I drive about 12 miles on the interstate and the rest is all up and down hill for the next 4 miles or so.

Must be the A4 alone then, cos i get 31 average and thats 14miles each day...

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
Must be the A4 alone then, cos i get 31 average and thats 14miles each day...

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that's about right mate, there's a fair amount of weight in the A4.

Youd be surprised! the weight difference is minimal 70kg to be exact.. so only 1 person really.

Rich

Hmmm, I used to regularly get over 30MPG in my A4 1.8T. Even chipped, I still hovered about the 30 or so. Drive it hard and it dropped to 25, easy I could see 35.

I get 33 on average. 50 mile round trip motorway and small roads

whole tank about 34 too

Upto about 135 it doesn't seem to take long, but after that it takes an age it seems. I'm often surprised at how quickly I'm doing 140 mph...quite frightening actually /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

And to be cruising at these speeds and watch an S8 go by at 160 mph + is rather funny.

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
And to be cruising at these speeds and watch an S8 go by at 160 mph + is rather funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif That would be well good, I wish our raods were like that!

Well I still have to cruise across the boarder to do these speeds legally.....not that stops me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

No what is call is pulling away from an chipped A3TQ and a chipped S3 on the autobahn and putting up a bit of resistance to the S8 before being passed......but I had my revenge on some backroads where I left them all for dead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I get aproxx 33mpg ,out of my A4, thats 40miles per trip , 30=motorway - 10 town

& thats with a chip , filter etc, the lowest ive had it is 23 & that was giving it some! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
No what is call is pulling away from an chipped

[/ QUOTE ]

Moron! Must be an American doesn't know the difference between cool and call! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I'm currently showing 33.7 out of mine. That's a fair bit of motorway miles but also a few 5-6 miles trips in between. <font color="blue"> </font>

Nicolas,
Do you have a 1.8T too? Because I only get about 22-23 mpg on mine too and seeing that you are the only other american on this thread I was wondering if anybody knows if the American models are different or what else might cause bad gas mileage?

Thanks!

Brad

Isn't your gas over there a lower octane level than us?
I think your standard gas is like 91 octane ?? Our octane here is 95, or 97/98 with the good stuff. Makes a big difference!

Tone

Its 77.9 For optimax here (sunny dunstable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)
I always seem to get more miles with optimax too!

I think the for the US guys, Premium gas is only 91 Octane !!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

That's why A) fuel consumption is bad B) no power C) fuel is so cheap..

[ QUOTE ]
cocktaildesigner said:
Brad

Isn't your gas over there a lower octane level than us?
I think your standard gas is like 91 octane ?? Our octane here is 95, or 97/98 with the good stuff. Makes a big difference!

Tone

[/ QUOTE ]

Tone,

As Excursion says the octane ratings are calculated differently and actaully the US fuels maximum octane rating when compared to ours is closer to 100!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Well, I don't have a US spec 1.8T, but IIRC the US engines ARE detuned more than the others for emissions reasons /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ******** /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Yes it is lower octane, that is definately it. I even put 91 Octane in (Crazy that that is our most expensive, highest octane gas!!). Thanks for the note, I was wondering why my MPG was so low, I guess that's about normal then for 91 octane, huh?

I am assuming that Optimax is your "Premium" gasoline? Is this correct?
Thanks!

I'm in the US and for normal driving I get around 25 mpg...mostly non-highway driving though. When I'm driving home from school, averaging around 75-80 mph for 10 hours I get about 30 mpg...so city/highway makes a large difference for me. I put in 93 octane (US) gas...

Today i did a 100 mile trip 70 miles motorway cruising at 90-95 with the odd spurt to 120 and the rest in town traffic including sitting in a jam for 8 mins and only going 100 mtrs, i averaged 29.7 mpg, if i was a bit more careful i reckon i could get 33 mph but then the fun goes!!

[ QUOTE ]
Cbass said:
I am assuming that Optimax is your "Premium" gasoline? Is this correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on where you are in Europe basically, for instance only Shell in the UK sells RON 98 (Optimax), where as here in the Netherlands everyone sells 98, and in Germany I think Texeco sells RON 100 (Correct me if I'm wrong Drill).

Texaco?!?! In Germany?! Or aren't they just a branch of Esso?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif See, now ya got me confused /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

Anyway, the only 100 Octane I've seen here is the Shell V-Power (USED to be called Optimax /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) I think I saw something about BP/Aral offering a 99, but not sure.

Now, my A3's averaged about 23.5 US mpg (28.2 UK mpg) up until this last week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif And she's (Obviously) Euro spec. Since getting my AC Compressor replaced it's actually improved to about 26 mpg US (31 UK) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Your compressor is running more efficiently, therefore absorbing less power from the engine. Don't worry about it - Bonus!!

Incidentally when they replaced the compressor did they change the pipes too?? It's just that the old pipes would have A/C mould in them - changing it over gives you nice 'clean' A/C without the bacteria! I think it's normal they do that when the compressor goes - check anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
Texaco?!?! In Germany?! Or aren't they just a branch of Esso?! See, now ya got me confused

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not hard now is it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

So apart from me spelling Texaco incorrectly and saying that they do 100 RON in Germany when they don't, I was right...yeah?

Uh, NO it's NOT hard, and I'd appreciate it if we kept this from getting TOO personal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But no, I haven't seen any Esso stations sell anything over 98. Shell, as we all know, has 100, and as I said, I think BP/Aral has a 99 octane product coming out.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
Uh, NO it's NOT hard, and I'd appreciate it if we kept this from getting TOO personal

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif The confusion is inbuilt with you, stemming from the shear number of posts you put /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:

Now, my A3's averaged about 23.5 US mpg (28.2 UK mpg) up until this last week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif And she's (Obviously) Euro spec.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, what is the difference in MPG between here (USA) and there (UK)? Do you guys still call it "MPG" even though it's really kilometers? That would be the reason that all your gas mileage sounds so good. I already know that there is a little difference because of exhaust flow, engine specifications, etc.
Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[censored]ps[censored]. [censored]26mpg[censored] ([censored]running[censored] [censored]average[censored] [censored]since[censored] [censored]new[censored]) [censored]from[censored] [censored]a[censored] [censored]3[censored].[censored]0[censored] ([censored]normally[censored] [censored]aspirated[censored]) [censored]using[censored] [censored]mainly[censored] [censored]Optimax[censored] ...

[ QUOTE ]
audi_girl2 said:
Lol, there's a reason for that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif A-S only been up just under a year /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

...and who are you with only two posts. hehehe!!!