B7 buying advise please

harley141213

Reaction score
im after advise re the b7 engine range. Ive found myself currently with no car and now wanting an a4. Ive roughly £2600-£2800 as a budget. Im used to having 170-200 bhp under my right foot so something With considerably less would not do. From a cosmetic point of view i prefer the b6 but they are lookkng old. Ive seen so many b7 cars in my price range that are spares/repair after engine failure its concerning me as what buy and what not to buy. Failures mainly serm to be due to oiling? Are there any engines to avoid, or some that are bomb proof? Some seem to have 150k plus miles and still going strong, others not?
My journeys are all short and i only do 7k a year. Last 2 cars have been vauxhall, 1 petrol, 1 diesel. What ever i buy has got to do at least 27-28 mpg and have decent performance.
Advice please as it seems im looking at a mine field
Thanks

well at 27-28 mpg with decent performance you be looking at an oil burner then, unless you have a light right foot in which case a 2.0tfsi will be fine, start using the right pedal "properly" and it will be a lot less with a 2.0tfsi.
My old bus runs a treat.......both oil burners and petrol engined variants have there weak points and problems, but no wosre than most other brands of cars, just a lot more bad press seems to follow audi's, they are very good for the most part, depends also on how the car has been looked after over the years and miles.

You won't go far wrong with a B6 1.9 tdi PD 130, bullet proof engine, i believe there are a few early B7's with that engine

Ive got 2x b7 2005 avants, one 2.0tdi and a 2.0t Q - I know the tdi 140's get really bad press with oil pump failure and pretty much every forum seems to slate them but mine still gets me 62mpg while driving frugally and doesn't want for too much except the pricy oil compared to the missus' polo (2.0tdi currently on approx 160k and only needed a timing belt). The 2.0t is a much nicer drive, lighter and more punchy, only downside for me is it sounds like a bag of spanners at idle.

As rob said the 2.0t can be frugal but really what is the point in getting a 200hp+ car if you are just going to drive it like a diesel anyway!

All in all really happy with the best and the worst engines in the range, both have their place.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
You won't go far wrong with a B6 1.9 tdi PD 130, bullet proof engine, i believe there are a few early B7's with that engine

Hi. My understanding is that the B7 only came in 115. Maybe wrong...anyone know for sure?