Speaking brakes

Jay Be

Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve had my B9 S4 for 2 months now but past couple of days I’ve noticed squeaking brakes. Happens when I’m slowing down from like 20-30mph to stand still. Anyone know why this is? Could it be grit or dirt inbetween the discs?

No would be between the baking plate and disc and would do it when no braking also. More likely that the pads are needing some grease on the back of them. Squeaking is usually just the frequency of the vibration. You could try cleaning the discs and pads with some heavy braking on a clear stretch get them nice and hot. Also give them a right good clean incase it’s salt build up

Mine do the same, as do lots of other S4/5 owners I’ve spoken to... Don’t know if it’s the pads or what but I’ve tried cleaning them up with no success. Granted it’s not a horrible squeal for me so doesn’t bother me most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are they saying?

I’ll get me coat.

Reactions: CHEZ, Daggerit and Nickfrog
Problem with oversized performance brakes, and particularly this time of year, they don't get enough heat on the public road. A late night session usually solves this and re-conditions the pads/disc interface.

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
Just realised it’s on a S4 it’s prob because of the 6 pots and light brakeing required causeing vibration hence the short squeal then when more pressure applies it goes.

Yeah mine are silent, they don't 'speak' a word to me. Perhaps they are sulking?

Reactions: Syed Shah
Just had it cleaned and the wheels jet washed which had cleaned the brakes and it seems to have gone which is good. I was reading some stuff online regarding S and RS cars and it seems grit is a pretty common cause to speaking brakes. Like some of you have pointed out, hard braking can resolve the issue too! To be fair I haven’t put it through it’s paces the last week since I dusted a Civic type R(oops :p) last weekend so maybe just been too light on the brakes.

You ain’t heard anything till you’ve had a RS3

Reactions: Terminator x and Syed Shah
You ain’t heard anything till you’ve had a RS3
Why’s that? Is it common in the RS3?
I absolutely love the RS3, sometimes I have a moment where I think should I have bought one instead. Only thing that stopped me really was the interior was not really any different to my 2015 A3 S-line so I didn’t want any familiarity when buying a new car. However other than that, it was a beast when I test drove the FL model last October

Cause they squeal like nothing on earth very well documented here. I lived my rs3 and wish I kept it instead of the new s4 it’s just special ore facelift with the pops and bangs is nuts sports exhaust a must

Reactions: Syed Shah
Could be a long ride with Audi for this issue.. a cousin of mine is having the same issue on his RS3 and it has been going on for 1 year despite the numeous times Audi have checked the car and have changed the brakes as well.. his car went back very recently for the issue for about the 3rd or 4th time.

My standard A4 has squeaking brakes to, especially noticeable when coming to a stop. Main issue is it's completely inconsistent, might do it straight away from cold, might do it when car is warmed up and brakes have been well used, or it might not happen at all.

Been experiencing the same issues on my new (to me) 16MY S5 since collecting last weekend.
My previous 11MY S5 never ever squeaked in the 2 years I owned it and when I replaced discs and pads to Brembo, it was fine then too.
The current car has travelled 11k miles, looks to be loads of life left on the pads but boy do they squeal when cold.
Once they have heat in them, they’re fine.
I’ve tried braking 60-0 and that was fine, but soon as they’re cold, they squeal again.

Will the my local dealer look at this (I’m in warranty for another 13 months) or will they not be interested?
Am I just better off getting my local independent to grease the pads, or replace them with Brembo pads and hopefully be done with it?

They they just need some abuse. It happens due to irregular pad material on the disk surface causing the pads to catch irregularly and that causes the squeak

Strange though, I don't abuse my brakes at all yet they are silent. Although I guess the compound used in the s4 pads will be different..

I’ve tried the abuse route, and yep, it cycles heat and the noise stops.
Soon as the pads are cool again after standing, they squeal again.

Repeated hard braking just to silence brakes isn’t really conducive to decent tyre life, so Audi checked them, told me loads of people complain but they can’t do anything as it’s a compound issue.

I’m gonna replace them with red stuff pads.

Well, just thought I’d update this thread to say I e now fitted Brembo front pads (cost £90 from GSF) and had them fitted at my local, and trusted independent for £39.
Unbelievably, one of the previous Audi pads, which were “apparently”checked, removed and cleaned under the warranty visit 2 weeks ago, had a massive chunk missing from the middle of it, and was breaking down, causing the squeal.
They obviously didn’t remove them to check, which to be honest, is p1ss poor service.

Good point.
I initially posted in this thread after doing a search, then realised it was the B9 section. I’ve got a B8.5

I went with Brembo based on past good experiences and the fact that EBC never replied to my email around wear sensors on red stuff pads.

Oh I am sure they occasionally make a product that survives humble road use. So probably not utter *****, just by and large ***** IME.

I run a 2017 S4 B9 Avant and I get the squeaking brakes thing badly too.
I had an 2020 RS4 as a courtesy car once and it had exactly the same issue...

I sound like a London bus slowing the car down and I get it on the motorway too so it doesn't appear heat related to me.
I'm no expert though.
I've just had my rear brake pads replaced out of complete frustration and it doesn't seem to have prevented the issue.
I sometimes hear a slight squeak when the car is just travelling at 20mph.
I'm concerned it's something to do with the wheel bearing?

I have noticed it disappears when I jet wash the car, but it will return within a day or two, so I assumed it was related to the brake dust somehow?
Has anyone ever got to the bottom of it with Audi?