Driving in New Zealand

wideboybloke

Reaction score
I believe we have a contributor to this forum from NZ, unless I’m thinking of the A3 forum. I’m currently on a motoring tour of NZ and just wanted to say how much I love your roads. Almost all roads are single carriageway and the maximum speed limit is 100 kph, but the traffic is so much lighter than in the UK and the road surfaces are almost without exception very good. In places you can drive for miles and not see another vehicle.

My only regret is that I don’t have my A4! I have the sport suspension which can give a harsh ride on UK roads, but I think it would be fine for the roads here and I could certainly do with the A4’s roadholding. As it is, I’ve got a Ford Ecosport hire car which has bouncy suspension, imprecise steering and a very unresponsive automatic transmission. OK, it is probably half the price of an A4 Avant like mine, but driving an Audi has obviously spoiled me for other cars. Last week I had a Mazda 3 while on the North Island. It wasn’t bad, but again it wasn’t an Audi! Driving an Audi on the mountain roads must be wonderful, whereas this Ecosport is hard work and it simply can’t cope with the frequent gear changes needed on the tight mountain bends.

Nice, one country I would like to visit. My daughter has been as she's an uncle that lives there. Cool country though and only having a population of around 4.6 million considering its size is similar to the UK helps. Watch out for the earthquakes though I am sure those can disrupt a road pretty easily...

The low population figure also means that you can park easily in every town, usually for free and often right outside the shops. Not many towns in SE England where you can still do that! Cities are more like England, where parking is more limited and can be costly.

Reactions: cuke2u