Insurance: Compare the Market - do they just make it up? Price went up 15% in 3 hours

SRRAE

Reaction score
My insurance is due in one month. My renewal from my current insurance is not even close to competitive, its £650.

I went to compare the market and I like to change things like voluntary excess and mileage to see what gives me the best deal. Put all my details in £100 excess best quote £446 and the next was £447. I changed it to £0 voluntary and it came out best price at £479.

Now about 3 hours passed and I decided I'll go for the £446 with £100 excess. So I opened up my email which had that quote and clicked on the buy now button. It loaded the Compare The Market site and ran my search again. This time cheapest is £515 from the provider who quoted me £446 not 3 hours before.

How can they increase the price £69 (about 15%) in the space of 3 hours or so?

Hi, @SRRAE , check out this section of the forum. We have several insurance brokers as approved sponsors of the forum, who may be able to offer you better terms than you'll get through comparison websites.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Of course the quotes can change both up and down, insurance companies operate as investment companies and share prices constantly change hence so do quotes.

I usually use compare the market or go compare - find the one I want, then go direct. Often ends up cheaper!
Last time I used Chris Knott who are a forum sponsor I believe. They matched the cheapest quote and knocked £50 off!

I'm a big fan of Greenlight (no admin fees etc, free too add to your mod list as along as you are not adding power) but adrian flux smashed my previous best quote by over £100 so had to settle with them. Always worth calling directly!

Reactions: A4A4
I'm a big fan of Greenlight (no admin fees etc, free too add to your mod list as along as you are not adding power) but adrian flux smashed my previous best quote by over £100 so had to settle with them. Always worth calling directly!

Went with Adrain Flux this year also, great price!