Buying potential B6 1.8 t S Line Avant ( or hold for B7 2.0t?)

ckl139

Reaction score
Hi guys

I’ve replied in various other threads but thought I’d open my own to get specific.

For reference here is the history for the b6 in question. All from Audi. Its had another service and another cambelt and water pump change in 2017. Mileage now approaching near 50k.

Sept 2005 – Service – 14000

March 2007 – Service – 28623

Sept 2008 – Service 35385

June 2010 – Service 37986

June 2011 Service and MOT 39094

June 2013 MOT 40156

June 2014 Service – 40720

June 2015 – MOT – 40899

Aug 16 – PASS MOT - 41456

Question....

1. Engine - I’ve read from other thread these have oil pick up issues.

Based on this is it one to avoid and aim for a B7?

Any other issues to consider?

Until recently I always assumed this era 1.8t was bullet proof?

Going for Petrol as been told diesel not go for low mile users like me. Let me know if there is something else to consider?

2. Quattro - anything else to look out for. I’ve been told no additional service needed as it’s not Haldex?

3. ISOFIX - from other thread I understand I can add retrofit. Any other comments on this?

4. Age of car - 14 years old this year anything to be concerned about? Been told garaged most of life.

5. Other alternatives. Is the b7 2.0t better to go for. Assume b7 saloon or Avant only has 2.0t option and not 1.8t.

Overall given the above and what you may know, is it worth targeting b7 instead. Point 1 at moment is a worry if it’s a definite eventuality.

2.0t is that the tfsi engine? I’ve been running a 1.8t for over 12years and it’s a great engine.
Low oil pressure can be a problem but only if the servicing has been neglected. Easily sorted by dropping the sump, replacing the oil pick up pipe then regular oil changes will keep it sweet.
From what I’ve read on the tfsi engine there’s a multitude of problems lurking in it, I’d rather stick with a 1.8t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ckl139
From its sounds a good buy with the service history but has it had long life services from Audi?
1.As you seem to already know the 1.8t may suffer from the oil pipe pickup get blocked and long life services don't help but it's no guarantee. Mine was serviced by Audi up until 160k and run ok with no issues. Saying that the 2.0t also can suffers from oil pump faults, blocked pickup and can drink oil. The 1.8t engine has less faults and imo the better engine.
2. Not that I'm aware of.
3. Isofix is a easy retrofit and you can find second hand ones on eBay.
4. Same as any 14yr old car really. The b6 does suffer like the b7 with rusting front wings so check them and some Avants suffer from rust around the roof bars.Also check the battery isn't sat in water as the drain plugs can get blocked and if left can cause a lot of problems. Then just check everthing works like any car.
5. Only thing for me the b7 has over the b6 is age imo.

Reactions: ckl139 and QuattroCalum
As you've posted in the b6 section I'm going to say 1.8t. A4 2.0t engine's aren't the best, much better off with the one in/from a S3 or Golf R.

Thanks guys, helpful. Unfortunately rain today means I’ve had to bin plans for now. Gutted...

As you've posted in the b6 section I'm going to say 1.8t. A4 2.0t engine's aren't the best, much better off with the one in/from a S3 or Golf R.

If I’d posted in b7....?

I’d like to hear more as I’m also looking at b7 range but that would likely get me a 2.0t

Thanks guys, helpful. Unfortunately rain today means I’ve had to bin plans for now. Gutted...

Can’t rain all the time!

Ten points if you guess the movie that quote comes from?

Can’t rain all the time!

Ten points if you guess the movie that quote comes from?

I’ll struggle!

Your are right but with viewing windows limited by seller, 2.5 hours away, my availability tight it’s likely I’ll miss.

Given spec I’ve provided what would people pay. Summary 2004, a4 Avant, s line full sh. Quattro pretty good condition all around. 50k on clock. Cambelt done but not by Audi.

From its sounds a good buy with the service history but has it had long life services from Audi?
1.As you seem to already know the 1.8t may suffer from the oil pipe pickup get blocked and long life services don't help but it's no guarantee. Mine was serviced by Audi up until 160k and run ok with no issues. Saying that the 2.0t also can suffers from oil pump faults, blocked pickup and can drink oil. The 1.8t engine has less faults and imo the better engine.
2. Not that I'm aware of.
3. Isofix is a easy retrofit and you can find second hand ones on eBay.
4. Same as any 14yr old car really. The b6 does suffer like the b7 with rusting front wings so check them and some Avants suffer from rust around the roof bars.Also check the battery isn't sat in water as the drain plugs can get blocked and if left can cause a lot of problems. Then just check everthing works like any car.
5. Only thing for me the b7 has over the b6 is age imo.

Can you give more detail on rust, do they all get it or does something cause it? It’s 14 years old. But I remember my bmw e46 suffering but usually started off by stone chip in rear arch. Any pics would be good

I’ll struggle!

Your are right but with viewing windows limited by seller, 2.5 hours away, my availability tight it’s likely I’ll miss.

Given spec I’ve provided what would people pay. Summary 2004, a4 Avant, s line full sh. Quattro pretty good condition all around. 50k on clock. Cambelt done but not by Audi.

Do not let point 1 rule your decision, it’s not difficult to do more time consuming than hard. It’s one of those jobs that I’d advise for a new to you car, for peace of mind as much as anything else.
It’s a quattro, you must buy it
Once you’ve driven a quattro you’ll realise what a waste of time fwd is

Rust on the front wings, that’s about it unless it has had accident damage and a poor repair. Generally they are rust free other than the wings.
Is there a filling station near the seller where you can take the car and view it undercover?

“Can’t rain all the time” it’s from

The Crow, with Brandon Lee.

If I’d posted in b7....?

I'd be saying get a b7 :playful:

I'm not really biased in terms of looks though as my b6 has a b7 front end, not a huge fan of any b7 engine's and the 2.0t, 1.9tdi, 2.0tdi, maybe even 3.0tdi all have a couple notorious bits and bobs to go wrong where as the 1.8t is fairly robust, I mean I haven't looked into it too much but this is just as much as I recall from browsing the forum, if I stick with Audi my next one will be a manual B8 S4 or B8 3.0tdi, can't really go wrong with those.

I'd like to hear more as I’m also looking at b7 range but that would likely get me a 2.0t

To be honest I haven't really looked into it enough but from what I recall it's mostly oil related, for reliability I'd always get a b6 1.8t or 1.9tdi.

I'd be saying get a b7 :playful:

I'm not really biased in terms of looks though as my b6 has a b7 front end, not a huge fan of any b7 engine's and the 2.0t, 1.9tdi, 2.0tdi, maybe even 3.0tdi all have a couple notorious bits and bobs to go wrong where as the 1.8t is fairly robust, I mean I haven't looked into it too much but this is just as much as I recall from browsing the forum, if I stick with Audi my next one will be a manual B8 S4 or B8 3.0tdi, can't really go wrong with those.

To be honest I haven't really looked into it enough but from what I recall it's mostly oil related, for reliability I'd always get a b6 1.8t or 1.9tdi.

B6.5?