Car wouldnt start after removing seatbelt

Greenglass

Reaction score
Was at a set of lighs today, stopped and put the handbrake on, (Start stop activated) took my belt of to get something and when I put it back in the SS wouldnt activate again and I was left stranded.
Even after turning the ignition off and back on again it wouldnt allow me to press the brake pedal to restart the engine.
Had to turn it all off, turn the wheel lock on and it finally allowed me to restart.

Was it the seatbelt removal that caused this?

Was at a set of lighs today, stopped and put the handbrake on, (Start stop activated) took my belt of to get something and when I put it back in the SS wouldnt activate again and I was left stranded.
Even after turning the ignition off and back on again it wouldnt allow me to press the brake pedal to restart the engine.
Had to turn it all off, turn the wheel lock on and it finally allowed me to restart.

Would be surprised mate but others here might know more. Some Audi's engage the handbrake when you open the drivers door, like if you were reversing slowly opening the door to see the back end of the car. But your issue is different.

Standard Audi safety feature in order to make sure that your belt is on.

Reactions: deanshaw24, Daveotto, Joetidman and 1 other person
Is this only if SS is engaged?
As I can manoeuvre our cars in the driveway and garage without seatbelt on and engine doesn't cut out.
I never use SS so wouldn't know tbh.

Reactions: Tom.H
Is this only if SS is engaged?
As I can manoeuvre our cars in the driveway and garage without seatbelt on and engine doesn't cut out.
I never use SS so wouldn't know tbh.
Correct, only with S/S active.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman and Audi Bairn
Standard Audi safety feature in order to make sure that your belt is on.

Thanks, thought it was odd as I have taken my belt off bedore with no issue, maybe SS wasnt activated.

Have done the same a couple of times when I was too far away from a car park ticket machine (to avoid jerking my alloys on the stupidly places raised kerbs) and then found myself scrabbling to restart the car. Sensible feature but annoying at times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which gear were you in? If it's an auto it may be that you need to shift back into Park or Neutral first

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Would be surprised mate but others here might know more. Some Audi's engage the handbrake when you open the drivers door, like if you were reversing slowly opening the door to see the back end of the car. But your issue is different.
Does anyone know if this can be disabled? I guess not as I guess its a safety feature, but annoying.

I guess it's only annoying first time. Then you know about it.
It's rare that you take the seatbelt off in this situation, so shouldn't happen very often.
I have it happen from time to time, particularly when I have to get out to operate my daughter's security gates. Then I get back in and try to set off only to find the message on the DIS telling me to go to P and start manually.
I guess it's all for safety.