Amazon Music

Tonye60

Reaction score
I have just signed up to 3 months amazon music, the mmi app now supports it, the only complaint is you have to open the mmi app on your phone in order to use it, that’s a pain. Am I doing this wrong.

Yeah, pretty sure you need the app open on your phone. It states in the app you can operate amazon music on the MMI via the MMI connect app.

You can operate by the mmi, which is very good, it means before you use it you’ve got to mess with your phone

You can operate by the mmi, which is very good, it means before you use it you’ve got to mess with your phone
I’ve not actually tried it yet, only just updated the app. But I’ll have a fiddle and if there is a way of doing it without faffing with the phone first I’ll let you know.

Does it come up when scrolling media inputs?

I’ve just tested it and it seems like it auto connects it you don’t close the app down on your phone. However I am having a little trouble with it. It needs to connect to the Audi Wi-fi but then it has no data connection to stream the music from prime. But then if I connect to 4G or BT Wi-fi it’s telling me there is no Wi-fi connection to my device. A bit confusing.

Well... a bit more messing and I seem to have it working.

This is what worked for me.

Get into the car and once MMI has booted up I connect to the Audi MMI via my phones wifi connections.

Once it’s connected I immediately click home and open MMI app. Once connected I close down MMI app and go to Wi-fi music and amazon opens and I select a play list and it plays fine.

(Could someone confirm if the only way of doing this is using my phones data?)

Then as long as I keep the app running on my phone (I think) it then connects and starts playing from where it left off. It takes about 15-20 seconds to fully connect though.

Only thing I’ve noticed is if you use your phone while it’s connected and playing it completely disconnects and you have to reconnect again.

There’s a chance I’ve got this all wrong. I’m sure someone will correct me if I have. But this is what works for me.

Not sure if everyone's set-up is the same, but I used this this morning with the updated app and was all very simple (though a bit slow):

- Last night I went into updated Audi MMI connect app and signed into my Amazon account within the media tab

- This morning the phone auto connects to MMI and connects to cars data sim (as normal)

- I open 'Audi Connect' from MMI menu

- Near bottom of Audi Connect menu 'Amazon Music' now appears along with Napster etc.

- Select and off you go, simple.

No messing about having to open app on phone or anything.

This sounds like a lot of faff why not just use android auto or car play?

I was wondering this too. Is there some advantage the MMI version has over running it via say CarPlay?

No, only advantage is you don't have to plug phone in like you do for Carplay/Android Auto. And from my experience this morning it was much slower through the Audi Connect than through Android Auto.

Reactions: robw77
No, only advantage is you don't have to plug phone in like you do for Carplay/Android Auto. And from my experience this morning it was much slower through the Audi Connect than through Android Auto.

Ah ok cheers. I’ve got used to always plugging my phone in now when i’m driving. Helps keep the phone charged (joys of an iPhone!) and avoid any temptation to check something on the phone which is such a big issue these days for causing accidents.

Reactions: Smileysam
Thought I would give this a test - registered my car SIM with Cubic and took a 30 day 2Gb data allowance to allow me to stream via the car SIM

Sorted out the wifi MMI connection and logged into my Amazon details via the MMI Connect app. Amazon Music then appears in the list of sources, so far so good

It lets me look at Amazon playlists but only to find that no music could stream

I think my issue is that whilst my wife has Amazon Prime membership which includes free membership to Amazon Music, she can't share that Prime benefit with my account (although I can receive some of her account benefits)

Amazon product

Kinda pointless me signing up for my own Amazon Prime membership - I'll stick to music on SD card or the radio!

*Edit* - found a workaround for the Prime account sharing issue - logged out of the Amazon account on both MMI connect and the Amazon app on my iPhone. Logged in to Amazon app under my wife's details, then logged back into the Amazon section of the MMI app - it now recognises my wife's details

(I then logged back off from her details on the Amazon app itself, so I can't see what she spending money on, lol )

I can now stream free Amazon Music using my iPhone - music comes through pretty quickly, but then I live in an area with reasonable 4G coverage

My next company car in a few weeks will be a BMW of some description - will be interesting to compare their streaming options with the somewhat convoluted method here.

Last edited: