Gearbox malfunction message

Sueq1

Reaction score
Hi
My first post here and I hope I’m in the right section.
Intermittent on start up “ gearbox malfunction you can continue to drive in D until engine is turned off.
One time only my car lost power and I had to pull up switch engine off and restart. Drove as normal.
Took in to audi . They said all software been updated should be fine.
Four days later same error message.
Took again and now they say they sent report to audi manufacturer and they’ve said it’s caused by me accidentally pressing either unlock lock or boot button upon start up.
Surely this isn’t true?
Because if that’s true surely is a production fault causing cross interference like that?
I’m not thick you hear the click and see flash of indicators when you do that anyway and I’ve never put the two together ( the malfunction and accidental key fob touch)
What do others think?

Welcome to the forum, right place to post if driving A3/S3??

Others have reported this issue before and been told the same by Audi re pressing button when starting car. If you do a forum search on gearbox malfunction more details should come up.

See here for the issues I had with gearbox.

Gearbox Malfunction, what should I expect from Audi? S3, 6 months old!
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...-Audi?-S3,-6-months-old!.332096/&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently having the same problem with mine, took it in a few weeks ago, they said they couldn't find the fault, then yesterday it happened twice in a row on start up. Definitely not taking it back till they've done some proper work on it!

Currently having the same problem with mine, took it in a few weeks ago, they said they couldn't find the fault, then yesterday it happened twice in a row on start up. Definitely not taking it back till they've done some proper work on it!
Did you or anyone else ever figure it what is going on with this issue? This morning my 2015 A3 started then immediately died twice and a transmission malfunction warning came up. On the third time I revved the engine when it started to keep the revs up and then it idled fine. Not sure what could cause this?

I was getting this message regularly. Had no impact on driving but kept coming on. Audi replaced the mechatronics unit under warranty and it’s never happened again.

Had the failure message on Saturday, didn’t reappear after re starting. If happens again it’ll be over to Audi.

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum. Recently purchased a 2015 A3 Sportback and have gotten a gearbox error three times since. The message just flashes and disappears. I've noticed it has happened when I slow almost to a stop like when going over a hump. The car comes to a stop and pressing the gas causes a very slight rev but no movement. Only way to fix is to restart the vehicle. Any idea what it could be?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I have an Audi A3 2002 Automatic Transmission;
The gearbox Drive or 4th gear is not working anymore,
for that reason I decided to swap to a manual transmission.
My cars engine is a:
4 in-line, 1.6L, 8 valve, Motor# AVU
I was researching that maybe a gearbox from a VW Golf 1999 could fit, but i don`t know for sure, I was wondering if any of you guys can help me indicating which manual gearbox can fit, if any!!! or do a complete engine gearbox swap...
Thanks

I have an a3 2014 sent it in for gear box oil change and when it come back out car was bouncing soon as you put it into drive and would go straight into second gear so sent it back to change oil again but still same problem any idea what that could be