Audi A4 1.4 TFSI.. interesting read

Difference on my 33 mile commute using cruise control @ 60 mph to 70 mph is huge - 57mpg@60mph / 42@70mph

Wow, massive delta. I think the cars have gearing/fuelling optimised for 60mph - 90km/h.

Oh I am sure air resistance is a parameter despite the low Cx / SCx but I have rarely seen such a big gap between 60 and 70.

Could even just be down to local conditions, hardly a objective and scientific experiment. Personally I haven't seen much of a difference as you shoud be in the same gear..

Indeed Captain Obvious. I don't think anyone said it was an objective nor scientific experiment. Just saying it's likely optimised for 90kmh which is hardly surprising.

Reactions: Happy Grumpz
I don't know what speed a car's mpg is 'optimised' for, however to take one example as a reference is hardly correct is it. As I stated I haven't found it to be much different. I drove our 1.0l fiesta at 85mph and got it's maximum mpg, does that mean it is optimised for that speed? I doubt it, more than likely it was down to the localised driving conditions.
All cars usually give better mpg at 60mph than at 70mph and more than likely it is just down to drag and air resistance. These cars are tested for their mpg figures on a rolling road after all. Even the proximity of other vehicles around yours will affect the mpg in some way.
As far as I am concerned the jury is still out on this one...

I hope my kids send me to Dignitas before I become THAT pedantic. Cheer up, have a **** or a Mars bar, whatever it takes mate.

Sorry mate, been away over the holidays. Yeah the DTUK box is brilliant, you can definitely feel the difference. Even on the first setting the throttle was much more responsive and was much revvier than stock. It's now much easier to heel toe and rev match if you're into that kinda thing.

What difference have you noticed with the DTUK? I’ve been toying with the idea of something like that.

Ha! Not a typo i am so lazy i drive my 1 mile commute. I originally planned to walk or cycle but given the time i get into the office in the mornings, sometimes you just cba!

I assume this is typo as 1 mile would be a walk or a bike ride, not a commute :wink:

I am surprised you get any heat from the seat !

Just wanted to provide a bit of an update on the car. Drove down to London from Newcastle over the holidays and managed to achieve 49 mpg - well pleased with that. It's such a comfortable ride and the drivers seat is such a nice place to be in.

Reactions: Syed Shah and cuke2u
Sorry mate, been away over the holidays. Yeah the DTUK box is brilliant, you can definitely feel the difference. Even on the first setting the throttle was much more responsive and was much revvier than stock. It's now much easier to heel toe and rev match if you're into that kinda thing.
Do you have any 0-60 figures or power increases?

I have a planned trip exeter and then upnorth to todmorden in about 2 weeks which will most probably be the first time the car will have been driven properly.. (lets hope theres no last minutes!!)

So far however I have been consistently averaging 27-30mpg around down in comfort mode, and on the motorway (not been on them often tbh) its been averaging roughly 40mpg at a stretch. Been light footed and haven’t been using cruise control while the recommended run in period for the car.

Must say the car does perform a lot better than you would expect. Very punchy and responsive. Not much lag to be honest, any little bit of lag is very easy to get used to.

i haven’t got the noise checked out as of yet as local dealer has been quite busy and couldnt get a technician free to check the car. But i’ve been told by a few it’s just normal and that me sitting in the car idle with no music means its probably normal but id never know because it was the first time id sat in the car with no music and running (was not on stop start).

Somethings i do find annoying is that on a few occasions pre sense has kicked in for no reason. Not sure if its picking up spirits on an empty road but yeah it is quite annoying.

Honestly though, tech package is perfect. Make sure you spec that on your car is my reccomendation. Virtual cockpit is v slick and the wireless changing very handy indeed.

Thanks for the review, you can turn down the sensitivity of the pre-sense in the MMI car settings menu, I have mine set to low. However if you turn it off completely it will turn back on to the last setting on engine switch off switch on...

Thanks for the review, you can turn down the sensitivity of the pre-sense in the MMI car settings menu, I have mine set to low. However if you turn it off completely it will turn back on to the last setting on engine switch off switch on...

Not a problem and thanks for letting me know, I might just do that. but I'm still not sure why it would kick in at random times anyways?

You'll be surprised what the pre-sense will pick up, fences, hedges, pedestrians on the pavements. If it think you are getting up close to something too rapidly it'll ping at you. Doesn't just work on radar but on approach speed as well..

Reactions: Syed Shah
You'll be surprised what the pre-sense will pick up, fences, hedges, pedestrians on the pavements. If it think you are getting up close to something too rapidly it'll ping at you. Doesn't just work on radar but on approach speed as well..

Hmm. Its good that it picks up soo much but sometimes i guess it does over do itself haha. Good to know it does work however

I still see nowhere near those MPG figures.

Easy 50s on the motorway? I wish. Best I've ever had is low 40s on a pretty constant 60-70mph stretch of the M25.

And town driving is 30 if I'm lucky (and I'm usually not). I've never seen 35 in town.

I'm s-tronic not manual, but the s-tronic tends to change a lot earlier and therefore keep the revs a lower than I probably would in a manual.
Just wondering if you are still using the car, i bought an 67 plate 1.4 tfsi and done 11k miles so far after i bought. i get 50-54 mpg on the motorway and 32-34 in the city.